• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unbelievable [Aruba Ocean Club Booking Issue]

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called MVCI this morning to book week 51 at the Aruba Ocean Club for 2016. The phone was answered at exactly 9 and I told the associate that I wanted to change the check in day for 2 of my reservations. She told me that I was not eligible (I'm Chairman's Club) and that I was calling a month early. I said that today was the release date for the 12 month availability. She said NO it was not, started to argue with me. I asked for a supervisor. I then waited for 20 minutes for the supervisor and guess what, I DID NOT get the dates I wanted. I have a week 51 check in but we really need the Monday check in and we have Friday. I could not believe how uninformed and incompetent the associate was. The supervisor was lovely and she apologized but she could not do anything. I am really aggravated.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I called MVCI this morning to book week 51 at the Aruba Ocean Club for 2016. The phone was answered at exactly 9 and I told the associate that I wanted to change the check in day for 2 of my reservations. She told me that I was not eligible (I'm Chairman's Club) and that I was calling a month early. I said that today was the release date for the 12 month availability. She said NO it was not, started to argue with me. I asked for a supervisor. I then waited for 20 minutes for the supervisor and guess what, I DID NOT get the dates I wanted. I have a week 51 check in but we really need the Monday check in and we have Friday. I could not believe how uninformed and incompetent the associate was. The supervisor was lovely and she apologized but she could not do anything. I am really aggravated.

Ilene, I am sorry to hear that -- it is frustrating talking with a VOA who doesn't have the right data and especially so when it costs you an important reservation.

I hope you can find a way to bridge to the Monday reservation that you want.

Best,

Greg

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I call for a booking window .. I use 2 phones...

Why? Because I can call or redial until I get through to another agent....then hang up on the HORRIBLY incompetent one without losing 20 minutes waiting on HOLD for a supervisor.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I hope you made a formal complaint.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Very sorry to hear of your situation.

Although you may already know this, I will suggest some alternatives that may or may not get you to the piece of cheese:

1) Make the reservation using Destination Club Points.

2) Make the reservation using Marriott Reward Points.

3) Make the reservation using green pieces of paper with pictures of dead men.

4) Call every day and keep hope up for a suddenly available cancellation.....

Best of luck with your search.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Life's too short, just HUCA (Hang Up and Call Again); unless, of course, you have spare time on your hands and enjoy the show of incompetence :D

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used another phone and called back while I was on hold. There was a 30 minute hold time. The supervisor answered first.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Ilene, you're certainly correct that today was the 12-mos release day for a Monday, 12/19/16 check-in at Aruba Ocean Club using a single Week. It's beyond ridiculous that the rep couldn't recognize that simple fact, especially as it's verified by the tools we have available on my-vacationclub.com (i.e. Aruba Ocean Club Resort Calendar and the AOC link on this Inventory Release - Resort Listings page.) Their system should support whatever tools we have available, no question.

I'm confused, though, on why you would mention your Chairman's Club DC status during this call for two reasons - first, because the 13-mos Reservation Window shouldn't have been in play at all, and second, because your DC status has no bearing on the Reservation Windows in play when reserving Weeks.

The other thing confusing me is you saying, "that I wanted to change the check in day for 2 of my reservations." Had you already reserved these Weeks at the 13-mos Window with Friday check-ins, and today you were calling to see if the Mondays became available at the 12-mos Window? If that's the case, wouldn't the rep have to cancel those Fri reservations in order to free up the Weeks for the Mon reservations?

The answers don't really matter other than clearing up some confusion. The issue here is the rep's incompetence - there simply is no excuse for that. IMO there's reason enough here for you to follow up with MVW Customer Care, even if only to register your frustration with the unsatisfactory experience.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why? Because I can call or redial until I get through to another agent....then hang up on the HORRIBLY incompetent one without losing 20 minutes waiting on HOLD for a supervisor.

I've done this a couple of times...:hysterical:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ilene, you're certainly correct that today was the 12-mos release day for a Monday, 12/19/16 check-in at Aruba Ocean Club using a single Week. It's beyond ridiculous that the rep couldn't recognize that simple fact, especially as it's verified by the tools we have available on my-vacationclub.com (i.e. Aruba Ocean Club Resort Calendar and the AOC link on this Inventory Release - Resort Listings page.) Their system should support whatever tools we have available, no question.

I'm confused, though, on why you would mention your Chairman's Club DC status during this call for two reasons - first, because the 13-mos Reservation Window shouldn't have been in play at all, and second, because your DC status has no bearing on the Reservation Windows in play when reserving Weeks.

The other thing confusing me is you saying, "that I wanted to change the check in day for 2 of my reservations." Had you already reserved these Weeks at the 13-mos Window with Friday check-ins, and today you were calling to see if the Mondays became available at the 12-mos Window? If that's the case, wouldn't the rep have to cancel those Fri reservations in order to free up the Weeks for the Mon reservations?

The answers don't really matter other than clearing up some confusion. The issue here is the rep's incompetence - there simply is no excuse for that. IMO there's reason enough here for you to follow up with MVW Customer Care, even if only to register your frustration with the unsatisfactory experience.

Yes Sue, I did reserve at the 13 month release date. I tried to get a week 50, 51 and 52. I was not able to so I took a 50 and two 51's. The 50 is the Monday check-in. The way my DH works the Monday check in is better for us. She never checked for availability she just said that I was not eligible and that I called a month early. It made no sense. It wasn't until I spoke to the supervisor that I was told there was no availability! I plan on calling customer care this morning.
She only mentioned the CC when she verified my identity.

Last edited:

DB-Wis

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you made a formal complaint.

I agree. What happened to you is inexcusable and warrants a complaint to the highest level. There may have been nothing the supervisor could do, but I'm sure there is someone who can do what is necessary to fix this. I would firmly, but politely, pursue this.

Travelmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
Almost the Same Thing

Almost the exact same thing happened to me this morning.....

I have (had) a week booked at the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club for week 51 with Dec 17, 2016 check-in. I wanted to change this to Week 52 - New Years week. I booked the Dec 17 check-in at 9 am last last Wednesday (date of release), then later in the day called to cancel the reservation as I really wanted New Years and wanted to have the week available to book online today (vs calling in).

Today I went to book the week, assuming it would be available for online booking.... it's showing in my account as still reserved for Dec 17,2016 - so I have to call in.... on the phone 9am (still hopeful)

The rep answers immediately, finds the week I'm asking about, tells me the week 51 reservation has indeed been cancelled (even though it isn't showing that way in my online account), then seems to be checking availability, but puts me on hold for a bit and then comes back and tells me Week 52 - New Years does not release until December 25th!!

I explained that this morning before she answered the phone I booked week 52 in 1 bdr, online, for the same resort and that all 4 check-in days were available at that time. And that according to the inventory release calendar week 52 releases today!! She said she checked with her supervisor and that the week does not release until Dec 25th - call back then.

She also said that anyone who booked today will be issued an error message....as that goes against Marriott policy.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
As many of you know I sold my 4 Marriott Weeks many years ago disgusted with changes they made to their (then) Program and for years was down on Marriott.

That was yesterday and this is today, and the changes Marriott has made during the last couple of years has changed my opinion to the point I kind of like what Marriott now offers. I hasten to add that if they don't simplify things and get their employees trained, Owners will get frustrated and there will be defections similar to mine many years ago.

George

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Almost the exact same thing happened to me this morning.....

I have (had) a week booked at the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club for week 51 with Dec 17, 2016 check-in. I wanted to change this to Week 52 - New Years week. I booked the Dec 17 check-in at 9 am last last Wednesday (date of release), then later in the day called to cancel the reservation as I really wanted New Years and wanted to have the week available to book online today (vs calling in).

Today I went to book the week, assuming it would be available for online booking.... it's showing in my account as still reserved for Dec 17,2016 - so I have to call in.... on the phone 9am (still hopeful)

The rep answers immediately, finds the week I'm asking about, tells me the week 51 reservation has indeed been cancelled (even though it isn't showing that way in my online account), then seems to be checking availability, but puts me on hold for a bit and then comes back and tells me Week 52 - New Years does not release until December 25th!!

I explain that this morning before she answered the phone I booked week 52 in 1 bdr online for the same resort and that all 4 check-in days were available at that time. And that according to the inventory release calendar week 52 releases today!! She said she checked with her supervisor and that the week does not release until Dec 25th - call back then.

She also said that anyone who booked today will be issued an error message....as that goes against Marriott policy.
As an update when I called this morning I was not able to book my week 52--1st time in 16 years. Many of the owners were unable to. I am currently in Aruba and there were plenty of very unhappy people at the beach today.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Is it because they were all gone Irene or because they claimed the booking window wasn't available yet? I wonder if their system is messed up wrt release days due to 2016 being a leap year (although it should go by date and not day of the week); very surprising that there have been a few posts about the reps not knowing when inventory was released.

If you get any updated info. keep us posted.

Sunbum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to book yesterday at exactly 9am and the lines were over loaded. When I got through at 9:30, Surprise.....there was no inventory left.

There was no mention of rooms not being available yet.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it because they were all gone Irene or because they claimed the booking window wasn't available yet? I wonder if their system is messed up wrt release days due to 2016 being a leap year (although it should go by date and not day of the week); very surprising that there have been a few posts about the reps not knowing when inventory was released.

If you get any updated info. keep us posted.

All gone. At the 13 month mark they had all been booked a month before by people booking gold the consecutively through platinum.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
All gone. At the 13 month mark they had all been booked a month before by people booking gold the consecutively through platinum.

Only 50% of the inventory is available at 13 months. So there is no way it could all be gone by people booking consecutively.

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
At 12 months you need to book online. I got my 2016 week 52 at 9:01 AM with no problem.:banana:

Travelmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
At 12 months you need to book online. I got my 2016 week 52 at 9:01 AM with no problem.

Booking online was my plan when I cancelled my week 51 reservation on Dec 17 in order to book week 52, but my unit was still showing up as reserved in my online account yesterday morning - 7 days after I called to cancel it.... so I had to call in.

I checked my account today (after questioning Marriott yesterday about how it could take so long to show up as cancelled in my online account) and low and behold it is showing up as available for online booking today :confused: coincidence????......a day late and a dollar short.....

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only 50% of the inventory is available at 13 months. So there is no way it could all be gone by people booking consecutively.

Yes it is possible. I was talking about the first 50%. The 50% that would have been available can be booked by people who own gold and platinum. Book a 47,48,49 the 50, 51, 52. They can booked consecutively and concurrently.