• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unable to cancel Clear Lake without penalty

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I made a reservation for a colleague in May to spend weekend in Clear Lake WM. Unforntunately we are dealing with major wild fires now, with very unhealthy air quality, and also a new fire just started today in the town of Clear Lake with evacuations starting. Of course, we need to cancel. After waiting on hold for almost an hour with owner's relations, they would not restore credits. I am so disgusted with the way WM is going--just have to vent. I'm going to have to figure out a way to use the system with all the new restrictions--or just bow out.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep the reservation and wait for the resort to close--if there is an evacuation order, that seems likely. When they do, things might be (and probably will be) different.

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There should be a natural disaster clause. If it is unsafe (due to air quality, loss of nearby structures, high Covid infection rates, etc) then one should not have to use their credits. The cancel policy is too long for many of those situations so one can not plan properly. I think it's all GREED on Wyndham's part. I haven't had any other company deny a cancelation like this. Makes me not want to be a member.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
You are saying in May? Why can't you cancel that far out? You used this year's credits?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
You are saying in May? Why can't you cancel that far out? You used this year's credits?

I think that's when they made the reservation for a stay coming up soon as of the posting time (August).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I think that's when they made the reservation for a stay coming up soon as of the posting time (August).
Oh, well, I guess I read that wrong. :)

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct--the checkin is today (made reservation in May)--the AQI today remains in the Unhealthy range (no one should be outside, especially if has asthma). Yet, no refund. Oh well, more free money to Wyndham. Why am I paying so much??? I used to love Worldmark--now am just plain irritated and embarrassed to be invested in it's club. Sad.