• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ultimate Occupancy Provision at Surfwatch

Hobee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Barony Beach, OceanWatch, SurfWatchx2 MountainSide, Aruba Ocean Club; MVC Trust Points
I am interested in a SurfWatch resale. I have read on TUG something called Ultimate Occupancy that was used at SurfWatch. What is it and what do I need know as it applies to a Surfwatch resale?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
During the construction phases some Weeks were sold with Ultimate Occupancy provisions that allowed for example, a Gardenside Week Owner to stay in an Oceanside unit during the interim while the GS buildings were yet to be completed. (Not sure of the exact order of buildings off the top of my head but that's the gist.)

Ultimate Occupancy doesn't affect every Week at the resort. Those that are affected are designated with two unit types in an Owner's account, for example "Gardenside/Oceanside." That two-view designation also appears on any reservation confirmations. As well, the original purchase papers included an Addendum that clearly spelled out the provision as it applied to the specific Week being purchased.

This TUG thread has more info related to Ultimate Occupancy.

For resale purposes, be aware that the Unit Number specified in the deed may not reflect the actual building/view type being purchased. It's necessary to verify the specifics by contacting Owner Services - the resort itself will not be able to help because many of the onsite employees are not aware that UO even exists.

As far as I know, SurfWatch on Hilton Head and OceanWatch in Myrtle Beach are the only two resorts in the Marriott system which sold Weeks with UO provisions. At both resorts the interim placements ended quite some time ago with both resorts now being completely built out.

{ETA} It's nice to see your first post, Hobee. Welcome to TUG. :)

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Sue has it correct- just to clarify though- the reason they did it this way was because they built in stages. First they built ocean vista (closest to ocean) then then ocean view buildings (at high tides pool) and finally garden view. The laws require that you have actual real estate to sell so when there was only ocean vista and someone bought garden view their deed used a unit in the ocean vista building but with ultimate occupancy in garden view. Conversely if you bought later in the process and wanted ocean vista or ocean view then all the deeds for ocean vista and ocean view were sold ( with whatever ultimate occupancy) and only the garden view buildings remained then your deed was for garden view with ultimate occupancy in ocean vista or ocean view. Hope this makes sense- it is because you can't buy real estate that doesn't exist yet- it's to protect the buyer from developers who sell the idea and then abscond with all the money from the potential owners. It's also why the Pre-construction sales at Surfwatch were contracted but couldn't close until the construction was finished.

tlwmkw

Hobee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Barony Beach, OceanWatch, SurfWatchx2 MountainSide, Aruba Ocean Club; MVC Trust Points
Thank you for the information. I read the referenced thread and it seems a combination of the "lack of a deed addendum" addressing UO, confirmation from the Marriott Estoppel, and a owner check will give me the cofidence I need that I am buying the view being advertised. Please advise if I am misunderstanding.