• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

U.S. Tuggers with RCI Trades to Europe

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
If you have or had a trade to a European resort booked thru RCI for this fall/early winter, it seems unlikely that travel restrictions for U.S. citizens will be lifted. But European resorts will not be closed since other coutries' citizens are free to travel there.

Any thoughts on whether RCI will refund exchange fees for those of us forbidden to travel to those exchanges? Or should I bit the bullet and purchase RCI insurance which will re-instate my TPUs but increase the financial loss? Trade fee of @240, insurance @110, new trade fee of @240 if we go this route to regain the 34 TPUs we used for Royal Regency.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have or had a trade to a European resort booked thru RCI for this fall/early winter, it seems unlikely that travel restrictions for U.S. citizens will be lifted. But European resorts will not be closed since other coutries' citizens are free to travel there.

Any thoughts on whether RCI will refund exchange fees for those of us forbidden to travel to those exchanges? Or should I bit the bullet and purchase RCI insurance which will re-instate my TPUs but increase the financial loss? Trade fee of @240, insurance @110, new trade fee of @240 if we go this route to regain the 34 TPUs we used for Royal Regency.
I think you have a good chance of a refund. Have you called and spoken to a rep ? You're right, travel is happening here but each country has it's own bubbles of who they let in.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a trade to a chateau in France thru RCI, and with the closed borders had to cancel. RCI gave us an exchange fee credit, and the week back. I also had a unit booked in England in May thru RCI, same problem. Same outcome. There is a time limit to use the $ credit. I have already used mine up exchanging into the USA into "safer" states . Heading out again this time to Newport, RI

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks mav and Nerodog! I just went to the Royal Regency website and found that the resort remains closed so I will call RCI today. As of now the monies & TPUs paid to RCI and the airfare paid to EasyJet from BCN to BOD are the only outstanding refunds. The airfare for 2 of us on EasyJet was only 84euro total and will only be refunded if the flight is cancelled, so that is not a killer, but we sure, would like everything back in our RCI account.

mav, you will love Newport. That was one of our favorite timeshare trips. Be sure to take the coastal path if you are able annnd touring the mansions is a must if it's possible during Covid restrictions!

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
:)Thank you for your well wishes, beejaybeeohio, yes, we LOVE Newport, RI go very year for 2 weeks for the last 24 years, this will make 25 years in a row. One of the only places in the U.S. we consistently go to. We LOVE Ocean Drive, the mansions, cliff walk, do that every day and just so many lovely spots there in and around Newport.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
:)Thank you for your well wishes, beejaybeeohio, yes, we LOVE Newport, RI go very year for 2 weeks for the last 24 years, this will make 25 years in a row. One of the only places in the U.S. we consistently go to. We LOVE Ocean Drive, the mansions, cliff walk, do that every day and just so many lovely spots there in and around Newport.
We were supposed to go to Newport, RI (would have been my first trip) this year. That trip got cancelled.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks mav and Nerodog! I just went to the Royal Regency website and found that the resort remains closed so I will call RCI today. As of now the monies & TPUs paid to RCI and the airfare paid to EasyJet from BCN to BOD are the only outstanding refunds. The airfare for 2 of us on EasyJet was only 84euro total and will only be refunded if the flight is cancelled, so that is not a killer, but we sure, would like everything back in our RCI account.

mav, you will love Newport. That was one of our favorite timeshare trips. Be sure to take the coastal path if you are able annnd touring the mansions is a must if it's possible during Covid restrictions!
The Cliff walk is always lovely. I hope the mansions will be open for you too it's a nice area to tour around.

Reactions: mav

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We're considering a trip to Norway in Nov-Dec 2021.
Yeah, I know it will be cold... it's for the Northern Lights.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luanne, you will love Newport, maybe next year:) maybe there will be a last minute cancellation this year in July or August and you can grab it. That's what I did for our July trip. It popped in and I JUMPED! We go back in August, the very end of August. I am very sad about the way Europe is panning out, but I am jumping on last minute trips in what I feel are "safer" states

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello..Lisbon has suffered a bit in a few non tourist areas so numbers arent where the hivty would like to see. However, the rest of the country has been doing great. Infact I ventured out to the Algarve and Alentejo areas in pousadas. They are staggered in their openings and 50%capacity.

Reactions: mav

beejaybeeohio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI's response was to call after the end of July, but "Gilbert" the rep indicated that TPUs and exchange fee will be returned. The deposit I used exires at the end of June next year and reserving Royal Regency took 38 TPUs. Not sure where we'd go in the US to use that many.