• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

U.S. Sanctions 8 Mexican Companies for Timeshare Fraud Schemes

Panzerman45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT Residence Club
Club Wyndham Access 300k
Mexican timeshare fraud and schemes....... that statement cover a large percentage of dealings south of the border.
I lived there for 5 years until I fled, nothing but trouble around the corner at anytime. The trusting and gullible are
especially at risk and they are a special prize.

douglasmhines

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club De Soleil
Garza Blanca
Vidanta GB
Villa Resorts
Marriott Ko Olina
Mexican timeshare fraud and schemes....... that statement cover a large percentage of dealings south of the border.
I lived there for 5 years until I fled, nothing but trouble around the corner at anytime. The trusting and gullible are
especially at risk and they are a special prize.
which country are you referring to with fraud and schemes, the USA or Mexico? :ROFLMAO:

douglasmhines

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club De Soleil
Garza Blanca
Vidanta GB
Villa Resorts
Marriott Ko Olina
I would be interested to hear which timeshare systems are tied to these corporations that got busted.

My two cents, cartel money is invested and laundered everywhere . . . Mexico, USA and worldwide. Name an American cash based business that moves big volumes of cash, and I can assure you there is a cartel presence in that segment of the economy cleaning its US based drug profits to get the money overseas. I don't so much care about the non-violent and non-drug business moves the cartel makes, in my opinion every major corporation launders money, the question is only how much.

I do feel for the people that were scammed out of their hard earned money, and I hope the people behind this get the justice coming to them.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
maybe next they will focus on american timeshare fraud schemes!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I would be interested to hear which timeshare systems are tied to these corporations that got busted.

My two cents, cartel money is invested and laundered everywhere . . . Mexico, USA and worldwide. Name an American cash based business that moves big volumes of cash, and I can assure you there is a cartel presence in that segment of the economy cleaning its US based drug profits to get the money overseas. I don't so much care about the non-violent and non-drug business moves the cartel makes, in my opinion every major corporation launders money, the question is only how much.

I do feel for the people that were scammed out of their hard earned money, and I hope the people behind this get the justice coming to them.

Many Mexican timeshare owners get calls and solicitations from companies that somehow acquired our personal information. This info was likely obtained from the owner services at our timeshares. Interesting is I have never received a call about interest in my American timeshares but do get calls and email about my Mexican timeshares.

Bill

douglasmhines

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club De Soleil
Garza Blanca
Vidanta GB
Villa Resorts
Marriott Ko Olina
I am always getting calls about my mexican timeshares. My assumption is, maybe there is an "opt in" clause for the USA, and not for mexico. It isn't a big deal for me because I ignore & automatically silence every call that isn't from a known source. The only reason I know it is about timeshares is because I read the vm transcript that comes to my phone.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Now this is a suggestion that need to be sent to the United States government. IMHO.
Fighting these scams tends to fall on the individual states and their Attorney Generals. I am not sure why the federal govenrment never seems to get involved since these things always include interstate commerce.

Arusso

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. What a sad state of affairs. Mexico is our neighbor to the south. It is a nation extraordinarily rich in human and natural resources. Regrettably, its history is a case study of failed governance.

The nation of Mexico - a proud people that was one of the first in Latin-America to gain its independence from the Spanish Crown then, some 40 years later ultimately defeated the occupying imperialist French giving reborn again as a free nation, was never able to construct a government by the people and for the people. The colonial oligarchs and the ruling class left over from the Spanish colonial period never allowed its citizenry to become educated or hold political and economic power. Not even the Mexican Revolution changed much of this since the post revolutionary governments were essentially one party rule with rigged elections for the next 75 years or so. This unfortunate situation with a desperate impoverished population was fodder for the birth of organized crime.

On, to the subject. of the post. Those of us that have traveled Mexico for business, pleasure or both know that the average Mexican, just like the average American is decent and trustworthy. The problem is that the institutions that are supposedly in place to safeguard the citizenry and visitors is totally inept. In fact it is fundamentally corrupt. Even the honest businessmen have trouble maintaining an ethical shop.

Add to this the fact that the lawlessness in Mexico has expanded beyond just suppling Americans with illicit drugs. It is a multibillion dollar enterprise with activity, as the article explains, into sectors that are supposedly reserved for legitimate business activity. It is unfortunate but no surprise that the vultures pry on the roadkill aftermath of Americans who purchased overpriced time-limited Mexican timeshare units and now want to exit. Hopefully the international financial and justice community will rally to help the unfortunate victims of such criminality.

BTW, we in the good old U.S. of A. have nothing to rejoice about. People are swindles every by TS developers and they later by the so-called-exit companies. We can do a much better job if we had a DOJ that was actually interested in prosecuting real criminal activity.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe

The second image in the post lists several companies.

douglasmhines

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club De Soleil
Garza Blanca
Vidanta GB
Villa Resorts
Marriott Ko Olina
The second image in the post lists several companies.
I was assuming that the listed companies are parent names, and not the names they use when doing their fraudulent activities . . . because I didn't recognize any of those company names.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting is I have never received a call about interest in my American timeshares but do get calls and email about my Mexican timeshares.
We only owned one and that was in Central FL. We got many scam calls both from upfront fee resale/rental scam companies and "cancellation" companies. We even were getting these calls years after we sold it.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We only owned one and that was in Central FL. We got many scam calls both from upfront fee resale/rental scam companies and "cancellation" companies. We even were getting these calls years after we sold it.
Many Mexican timeshare owners get calls and solicitations from companies that somehow acquired our personal information. This info was likely obtained from the owner services at our timeshares. Interesting is I have never received a call about interest in my American timeshares but do get calls and email about my Mexican timeshares.

Bill

For the past several years, I regularly (~monthly) receive a phone call to one of my phone numbers from a company wanting to speak with my son (using his name) about his Diamond resorts timeshare ownership.

My son does not own anything Diamond. We, of course, do. And when several times he has traveled there with us and we have listed him as one of the occupants during our stay.

I think it's evident that there that information has been leaked from the Diamond Resorts database. Probably something that shows my account number and contact information, a listing of some reservations, made on the account, and the names of guests listed on the reservation(s).

Of course, I also get calls in my name asking to speak with me about my Diamond account.