• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

U.S. Covid-19 Deaths in 2021 Surpass 2020’s

Brett

Reaction score
U.S. Covid-19 Deaths in 2021 Surpass 2020’s

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/u-s-covid-19-deaths-in-2021-surpass-2020-11637426356

The number of U.S. Covid-19 deaths recorded in 2021 has surpassed the toll in 2020, according to federal data and Johns Hopkins University, demonstrating the virus’s persistent menace.

The total number of reported deaths linked to the disease topped 770,800 on Saturday, Johns Hopkins data show. This puts the pandemic-long total at more than twice the 385,343 Covid-19 deaths recorded last year, according to the most recent death-certificate data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Among missteps, Dr. Karan said, public-health officials failed to effectively communicate that the purpose of vaccines is to protect against severe cases of Covid-19 rather than to prevent the spread of infection entirely, which may have led some to doubt the effectiveness of the shots. Authorities also failed to use testing to effectively prevent superspreader events, Dr. Karan said. The Journal calculated when the number of known Covid-19 deaths in 2021 surpassed 2020’s figure by using Johns Hopkins and CDC data. The Johns Hopkins numbers reflect a near-real-time count from states, but can lag behind when deaths actually occurred.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
It does seem that perhaps some of the "experts" are now realizing the missteps that were made along the way. There should be no question that effective communication was lacking in some areas.
Review this statement from an article that Brett posted in the thread, "U.S. Covid-19 Deaths in 2021 Surpass 2020’s."

"Among missteps, Dr. Karan said, public-health officials failed to effectively communicate that the purpose of vaccines is to protect against severe cases of Covid-19 rather than to prevent the spread of infection entirely, which may have led some to doubt the effectiveness of the shots."

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It does seem that perhaps some of the "experts" are now realizing the missteps that were made along the way. There should be no question that effective communication was lacking in some areas.
Review this statement from an article that Brett posted in the thread, "U.S. Covid-19 Deaths in 2021 Surpass 2020’s."

"Among missteps, Dr. Karan said, public-health officials failed to effectively communicate that the purpose of vaccines is to protect against severe cases of Covid-19 rather than to prevent the spread of infection entirely, which may have led some to doubt the effectiveness of the shots."

But is it that, "the public-health officials failed to effectively communicate the purpose of the vaccines," or is it that, "statements made by the public-health officials were drowned out by those who introduced criticisms and falsehoods for reasons that had nothing to do with the science?"

It's still happening! So sure, in hindsight we can say that the public-health officials could have prepared better to combat the ideologically-driven mis/disinformation campaign that anybody who was paying attention during the years leading up to the pandemic should have seen coming. So fine, fault them for not expecting that their work would be challenged in ways it never had been before. But it's not right to fault them for being the purveyors of the mis/disinformation that they are STILL out there every day trying to correct.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you "effectively" communicate with people that have been repeatedly lied to that the disease you are being vaccinated against is a hoax and will magically go away. This was coming from the highest levels of government. The true experts and those that were in charge of the response were routinely demonized if they said anything different. But yes, let's blame the people that gave out actual data as opposed to those that believed anything they said was the deep state. Let's give a pass to those with large audiences that lied about thousands of deaths from the vaccine.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
But is it that, "the public-health officials failed to effectively communicate the purpose of the vaccines," or is it that, "statements made by the public-health officials were drowned out by those who introduced criticisms and falsehoods for reasons that had nothing to do with the science?"

It's still happening! So sure, in hindsight we can say that the public-health officials could have prepared better to combat the ideologically-driven mis/disinformation campaign that anybody who was paying attention during the years leading up to the pandemic should have seen coming. So fine, fault them for not expecting that their work would be challenged in ways it never had been before. But it's not right to fault them for being the purveyors of the mis/disinformation that they are STILL out there every day trying to correct.
Perhaps both I would say however, I'm certainly not in any position to correct or dispute Dr. Karan's statement as quoted. I will agree with the statement though. Looking back and
yes, with 20/20 hindsight and what knowledge we have now, we now see where the communication went wrong, was changed, and stated again. Perhaps numerous times.
Information, suggestions and directives were always evolving and right or wrong, many people will hear a comment when given and simply shut down so to speak, to anything else
said. The mask is just one example of that. Information was constantly evolving as were directives.

I'm not defending anyone who simply refused to follow along but, I do understand why.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Perhaps both I would say however, I'm certainly not in any position to correct or dispute Dr. Karan's statement as quoted. I will agree with the statement though. Looking back and
yes, with 20/20 hindsight and what knowledge we have now, we now see where the communication went wrong, was changed, and stated again. Perhaps numerous times.
Information, suggestions and directives were always evolving and right or wrong, many people will hear a comment when given and simply shut down so to speak, to anything else
said. The mask is just one example of that. Information was constantly evolving as were directives.

I'm not defending anyone who simply refused to follow along but, I do understand why.

Think how much better off we would all be today if the consistent message from ALL of our leaders and media outlets had been and would have continued to be, "Science evolves. It's a natural process that shouldn't automatically convey suspicion and distrust. We will evolve with it."

I'll never understand anyone who made the deliberate harmful choice to think or claim anything different.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I'll never understand anyone who made the deliberate harmful choice to think or claim anything different.

I get it. People are biased and there hasn't been anything that created as much bias as the last decade of politics. This is why I don't watch opinionated news channels anymore. People that watch CNN type biased channels, not just think, but truly believe Ivermectin is drug only made for horses, even though it was developed for humans with almost 4 billion doses given to humans. Like penicillin, Ivermectin was repurposed for veterinary use. Some people that watch Fox opinion type channels believe that the opinions said on these channels are true and that creates bias.

People seem to believe journalists and politicians more than scientist because the journalists and politicians are much louder and control much of the media. Even the AP is sensationalizing stories like the recent still birth story that was posted here the other day.

Maybe the biggest problem is the FDA, CDC and NIH trying to placate politicians and proceeding with the divisive goal of a mandatory vaccination program after the very divisive 2020 political events.

Bill

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I get it. People are biased and there hasn't been anything that created as much bias as the last decade of politics. This is why I don't watch opinionated news channels anymore. People that watch CNN type biased channels, not just think, but truly believe Ivermectin is drug only made for horses, even though it was developed for humans with almost 4 billion doses given to humans. Like penicillin, Ivermectin was repurposed for veterinary use. Some people that watch Fox opinion type channels believe that the opinions said on these channels are true and that creates bias.

People seem to believe journalists and politicians more than scientist because the journalists and politicians are much louder and control much of the media. Even the AP is sensationalizing stories like the recent still birth story that was posted here the other day.

Maybe the biggest problem is the FDA, CDC and NIH trying to placate politicians and proceeding with the divisive goal of a mandatory vaccination program after the very divisive 2020 political events.

Bill

Where exactly did you learn what you have incorrectly accused CNN of reporting? I occasionally watch CNN and don't, "truly believe that Ivermectin is a drug made for horses." I believe, though, exactly what CNN actually reported, i.e. that legitimate studies have concluded that its human formula usage is ineffective in the majority of COVID-19 cases, that legitimate physicians don't ascribe to the conspiracy theory that a mysterious "they" is preventing it being prescribed for humans when it's medically indicated, that legitimate physicians don't EVER suggest that stockpiles of prescription drugs be kept on hand for "just in case" usage, and that legitimate physicians don't EVER suggest that people go to their local feed stores and buy up all the supply of any veterinary formula drugs for human consumption.

Too many people believe politicians and journalists who tell them what they want to hear, who perpetuate whatever truths or untruths that they need to believe in order to justify their ideological position. That's not a good thing no matter who in particular or how many buy into those echo chambers.

I'd say that the biggest problem is that the FDA, CDC and NIH were wrongly maligned and negated by politicians, and we let it happen despite the lessons we should have learned from the actions of far-too-many politicians who have repeatedly proven their sole focus to be their re-electability. Shame on us. If we'd given the scientists/public-health experts the platforms and cache that their expertise demands as a matter of course, there wouldn't be a need for vaccine mandates because they wouldn't have to battle against anti-COVID-vaxx sentiments that make no damned sense.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
legitimate physicians don't EVER suggest that people go to their local feed stores and buy up all the supply of any veterinary formula drugs for human consumption.

That's right. Physicians prescribe Ivermectin based on body weight. I don't personally know anyone that uses vet Ivermectin, do you ? I doubt that people are lining up buying this for personal use but I do know people that panic bought these for their animals in large quantities.

Here is something interesting. It is a covid tracker graph of Japan. Japan had a huge increase of covid cases and allowed Ivermectin use in August. It isn't approved but all doctors can prescribe it and all citizens can buy it. The rate of covid has deceased significantly because of Ivermectin use. The approval was not given for use by the Japanese Medical Association but it is allowed.

1637699606214.png

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe some people do, but not everybody.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's right. Physicians prescribe Ivermectin based on body weight. I don't personally know anyone that uses vet Ivermectin, do you ? I doubt that people are lining up buying this for personal use but I do know people that panic bought these for their animals in large quantities.

Here is something interesting. It is a covid tracker graph of Japan. Japan had a huge increase of covid cases and allowed Ivermectin use in August. It isn't approved but all doctors can prescribe it and all citizens can buy it. The rate of covid has deceased significantly because of Ivermectin use. The approval was not given for use by the Japanese Medical Association but it is allowed.

View attachment 42616

Same thing happened in India, also Mexico, and Peru.

check the graphs in Worldometer.

Before you say political nonsense, also look at Germany and Great Britain.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not too surprising.

In 2020 we had 4200 deaths in the first quarter. In 2021 we had 206000 in the same time frame.

I imagine the only two countries to beat this statistic would be China and Italy.

The big statistic will be what our winter surge looks like compared to last year. That comparison was not good for the summer seasonal surge in the south.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking back to when this thing first started, I never imagined that we would end up with 800,000 lives lost. The sad part is the realization that so many of those deaths were preventable with a safe and effective vaccine.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking back to when this thing first started, I never imagined that we would end up with 800,000 lives lost. The sad part is the realization that so many of those deaths were preventable with a safe and effective vaccine.
How many lives have been loss from taken the COVID-19 vaccine?

geekette

Reaction score
....People that watch CNN type biased channels, not just think, but truly believe Ivermectin is drug only made for horses, even though it was developed for humans with almost 4 billion doses given to humans.

I don't think this is true at all. For one thing, it is impossible to know what any given person really believes, but to extrapolate that to a particular audience and declaring their belief as lockstep, is not possible and is ridiculous.

What I say during campaigns for anything, don't tell me what you think someone else believes (they can speak for themselves), tell me what YOU believe.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully 2022 is less then both years.