• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Two travellers from U.S. fined $20,000 each for fake vaccination documents

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
You're opening a whole can of (political) worms with this one. Not sure this is the current situation with the current administration. Many "down here" would say the exact same thing as you just did, but about the US system.

I would also be interested to see a case where someone was detained or arrested trying to bring Kinder Surprise chocolates into the USA. Not talking about people smuggling large quantities, but rather a single citizen with a few of the candy. Worst case they would be confiscated.

I agree there have been some improvements under the current administration. Perhaps read my comments and the two articles in my post #19. The US and each state is certainly free to set its own rules. I can then freely decide as to whether I wish to abide by them, or else not visit. But if I choose to cross the border, I am certainly not going to deliberately lie and break the rules.

There was nothing "inadvertent" about these two offenders, which got the ire of many others here as well. Deliberate offenders, IMO, should not get the same treatment as those who inadvertently make a mistake. I'm not sure if it was a "couple" or just two individuals. I have certainly seen nothing indicating it one way or the other. So how do you think they should have been treated in the middle of a pandemic? A $500 fine, a slap on the wrist, "bad boy (or girl)" and be sent on their way? If so, we definitely don't agree. While the fines were certainly large and unusual, there has not previously been such an egregious case. As I pointed out, the fines could have been higher or even involved jail time.

Also, please don't put words in my mouth. Now it seems you are being defensive. Where did I say I have a disdain for Americans or Florida? Both my wife and I have many friends and family in the US and have spent time over many decades travelling and visiting there (in 37 of the 50 states so far). That includes multiple visits to Florida, including one coming up in November, if the land border is open. We enjoy visiting Florida, but I don't have to like everything about it. I was only using it as a example, since I am somewhat more familiar with it.

If you want to comment on our rules and fines, then turnabout is fair play. It has nothing to do with a dislike of individual Americans or even individual states, so stop trying to make it so. I referred specifically only to the "idiot-fringe-element" (my choice of terminology), not Americans in general. That interpretation was yours. Many of your own countrymen describe them the same way these days, but to be clear I am not talking about any particular "political" group, but those who don't feel the rules apply to them. They also exist here and in many other countries.

With respect to the Kinder Surprise Eggs, this is an ongoing issue, mostly inadvertent. I used it somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Many Canadians and Americans have been surprised to learn of the rule. As you suggest, it is normally a minor offence and is handled by a brief time spent in the border office and the confiscation of the offending candy.

There have though been a couple of times where an overzealous border guard has taken it a bit too seriously and threatened more serious treatment. To lighten the mood a bit, here is a piece of satire done a few years ago, poking fun at the rule and painting a more "serious" scenario involving a fictional group of women in BC, who were supposedly caught deliberately and knowingly breaking the rules by smuggling in large quantities of Kinder Eggs. Just like our two recent border offenders, if it were true, I would expect them to be dealt with more harshly than someone just making a mistake!

Canadian Kinder Surprise smuggling ring broken up by US officials | CBC Radio

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So we could say the same about the Canadian idiot-fringe-element trying to smuggle Kinder Surprise eggs? Each country certainly has their share... It also isn't turnabout, you are using whataboutism to try to make a point about a completely unrelated topic.