• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Two teens send a Lego man into near space [Merged w/"Are There any AFOL out there?"]

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
[AFOL is an ancronymn for Adult Fan of Lego. The original thread which was begun on January 14th has been merged with a thread begun on January 28th by T R Oglodyte]

I have been an Adult toy collector going back at least twenty years; but only recently acquired my interest in Legos. I literally picked up my first Lego piece back in July, 2011 and have become hooked.

My first acquistion was two Lego Mindstorm sets originally produced in 2001.

Believe it or not, I acquired both of the sets at what you might call a garage sale of sorts. A store that sold the sets was moving their location and decided to sell off stuff that had been sitting in their attic or storage area for many years.

Turns out that both sets had been opened for display purposes but had never been played with and both were only missing a few pieces and the original CD.

After realizing that I had acquired two sets worth over $200 each for less than $10.00 each my fascination with Legos took off. I now own somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 individual Lego pieces and my collection is growing and growing and growing!

My current project is building the 2006 Lego Set 8674 Ferrari F1 Racer 1:8 which has 1,246 parts.

8674-1.jpg

Are there any ohter AFOL's out there?

Last edited:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I here I thought Timeshares were your "goofyhobbie" -- :hysterical: :hysterical:

I bought DW a lego set for xmas - she went eewwwuu - dang good thing I also got her a spa day.

Last edited:

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi Rick,

That remark about your DW's Christmas gift reminds me of my wife's present a couple of years ago. It was a very nice Laptop computer. Since she did not quickly become computer savvy, it became a useful source of on-going pleasure for yours truly when ever we went on long vacations to Florida.

Like you, I was smart enough to also buy her a few other things that she could enjoy at her leisure.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 10 yr old will probably become a AFOL! He put together a 400+ piece set in about 1.5 hrs on Xmas day. Surprisingly it is still in one piece, as he gets creative in building "something new" and harvests pieces from other sets.

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My son is "auditioning" today for the position of Master Builder at a new Lego Land. Probably didn't need that Mechanical Engineering degree he got, but I'm sure it won't hurt. :)

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I counted 1,245.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cool car! Did it come with a Michael Schumacher mini figure? :)

hypnotiq

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a HUGE Leog nut. I actually get teased about it by quite a few people. :)

It's bad when I'm on a first name basis with the staff @ the Lego store. They call me whenever they get new sets in. :D

My collection is actually quite large. I wish I had a place for all the stuff that is built. Most of its packed away in boxes as I start working on building display cases for the various sets.

If I had to count, I'm sure my block count is easily over 250,000. :eek:

I own every single Ferrari set that was ever made by Lego. I also own all the Lamborghini sets as well.

Outside of those, I have numerous Tecknic sets (cars, construction, motorcycles) and I've built all of the pirate ships, both lego pirates and pirates of the carribean lego sets. :)

I currently have a stack of about 8 sets in my storage closet to build. The full size space shuttle, the tecknic 1/18 scale car, tecknic helicopter, cars sets (lightening mcqueen, francesco, and mater).

I have of course built the Taj Mahal already. :) 6000 pieces and 18 hours to build.

24497_422560340852_716015852_5745280_5095093_n.jpg

My name is Nico...and I have a Lego problem. :D

justnosy

TUG Member
Reaction score
forced to be one...

+1 for my son becoming a future AFOL...and because of him I enjoy Legos too (although I don't actually build them) I bought the mini mod set for myself but he negotiated that I only get to build 3 of the 5 buildings (and then he'll "help" me build since he's the pro...)

Have you gone to BrickFair - Virginia? If you're not familiar with it - just google it. We've gone twice...first year as a public visitor and last year we registered and my son is already making plans to attend again this year! He's recruiting his father to take him since I started a new job recently and won't have enough time to take off...his dad is NOT a Lego fan at all...I may have to work something out at work to take the time off to take him...

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've never actually bought a set for myself but I've "assisted' with hundreds of projects over the past 30 years. We have one of those lego tables and right now it is set up with a pretty good looking soccer arena. We also have maybe ten finished products "by the book" on display but most eventually get morphed into something original.

Deb

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Toronto teens send Lego man on a balloon odyssey 24 kilometres high

Today, I ran across an interesting article published by a Toronto Newspaper about two Toronto teens who created a remarkable space odyssey with a weather balloon, one video camera, three still cameras and a Minifigure that soared 24 kilometres high...

Based on what I can determine so far, the story appears to be a true account of an actual event with pictures and video to back it up.

Check it out!

Be sure to not only review the video but also the slide show. Links are provided within the news article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1120808#article

7687e0f14f889993fc01a7df9024.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Two teens send a Lego man into near space

Toronto teens send Lego man on an a balloon odyssey 24 kilometres high

Neither Mathew Ho nor Asad Muhammad can vote, or buy beer.

They haven’t been accepted to college yet, though that might change after this story.

The 17-year-olds have already sent a (Lego) man into space.

Two weeks ago, Ho and Muhammad launched a homemade balloon carrying a Lego passenger and four cameras. It fell back down to Earth 97 minutes later with astonishing footage from an estimated 24 kilometres above sea level, three times the typical cruising altitude of a commercial aircraft.

Their jerry-rigged contraption recorded the Lego man’s journey from a soccer pitch in Newmarket to the stratosphere — high enough to see their two-inch astronaut floating above curvature of our planet, clutching a Canadian flag with the blackness of space behind him.

The project cost $400 and took four months of free Saturdays. It wasn’t a school assignment. They just thought it would be cool.

Youtube video from on-board video cam

The Toronto Star article also has a video clip of an interview with the young men.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a HUGE Leog nut. I actually get teased about it by quite a few people. :)

It's bad when I'm on a first name basis with the staff @ the Lego store. They call me whenever they get new sets in. :D

My collection is actually quite large. I wish I had a place for all the stuff that is built. Most of its packed away in boxes as I start working on building display cases for the various sets.

If I had to count, I'm sure my block count is easily over 250,000. :eek:

I own every single Ferrari set that was ever made by Lego. I also own all the Lamborghini sets as well.

Outside of those, I have numerous Tecknic sets (cars, construction, motorcycles) and I've built all of the pirate ships, both lego pirates and pirates of the carribean lego sets. :)

I currently have a stack of about 8 sets in my storage closet to build. The full size space shuttle, the tecknic 1/18 scale car, tecknic helicopter, cars sets (lightening mcqueen, francesco, and mater).

I have of course built the Taj Mahal already. :) 6000 pieces and 18 hours to build.

24497_422560340852_716015852_5745280_5095093_n.jpg

My name is Nico...and I have a Lego problem. :D

There was a question on 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' the other day that you would have easily guessed. It asked which of 4 different structures was a Lego set and Taj Mahal was one option (and the correct answer).

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Love the Lego Man pictures!

Deb

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Under Employment causes desperation in the Empire!!

It is not just humans here on planet earth who are some times underemployed or unemployed.

Astromechs across the galaxy are joining the ranks of the "under-employed."

Many are being given jobs far below their original programming level.

Hey! They too are just trying to make ends meet! :hysterical:

113281.jpg