• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Two East Coast ski resorts: One Epic, one independent

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Two East Coast ski resorts: One Epic, one independent
https://www.travelweekly.com/Blogs/Dispatch/Two-ski-resorts-independent-and-eipc-pass

By Rebecca Tobin / Dispatch / Travel Weekly travelweekly.com / Mar 27, 2019

“Skiers cruising from the Sterling chair at Smugglers' Notch Resort in northern Vermont might be so focused on the signpost pointing the way down the mountain that they overlook a break in the trees to their left.

The tracks lead to Sterling Pond. And beyond the pond and through the backcountry is Stowe, Vail Resorts' newly acquired East Coast resort.

The ski areas are both partially in Mount Mansfield State Forest, and they're so close they practically touch. Way back in the day, those who skied the interconnect were even allowed a run or more at the other resort. But no longer. Skiing that out-of-bounds territory is not sanctioned, officially or otherwise. And in any case, Smugglers' Notch, or "Smuggs" for short, is not part of any ski collective, so a different lift ticket is required for both.

Not to mention the amenities and overall vibe of both resorts is completely different. A writer once called it the difference between "a Range Rover versus rusted old Subarus."

But still, the Vail purchase of Stowe from AIG has some wondering if at some point Vail could snatch up Smuggs, upgrade its facilities and make an uber resort out of the two. Could Stowe-Smugglers' Notch be a smaller, East Coast version of Whistler Blackcomb or Park City/Canyons?

Earlier this month I did back-to-back days at Smuggs and Stowe, and I was reminded that, for all their closeness, the distance between Smuggs and Stowe is still pretty great....”

97E07C87-7289-4E49-80A5-B6B8709F4606.jpeg

A break in the trees is the only indication of an (off-limits) path that leads between two separate East Coast ski areas. Photo Credit: Rebecca Tobin

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I remember years ago when we first bought at Smuggs some of the ski instructors and other employees who lived on the other side of the mountain were able to ski to work at Smuggs. Then, it was closed off years later.

Then Vail came onto play. Now it remains to be seen what will happen. The locals are convinced Vail will take over the Smuggs ski operations. But a lot of people like it the way it is now- slow lifts and all.

Then there is Jay Peak- which is up for sale- so speculation there as to whether Vail will jump at that instead.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember years ago when we first bought at Smuggs some of the ski instructors and other employees who lived on the other side of the mountain were able to ski to work at Smuggs. Then, it was closed off years later.

Then Vail came onto play. Now it remains t be seen what will happen. The locals are convinced Vail will take over the Smuggs ski operations. But a lot of people like it the way it is now- slow lifts and all.

Then there is Jay Peak- which is up for sale- so speculation there as to whether Vail will jump at that instead.

I don't see Vail having any interest in Smuggs. They go more for glitz. Jay would be interesting. Their terrain is excellent.

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
I love Smuggs...it is our home resort, my family has been going for the past 30+ years and we still go often (even for day trips...we live only an hour away).

While we went for a ski trip this past March to Park City and loved it, I wouldn't want Smuggs to change much...I like it the way it is...

This quote made me laugh: "Skiing that out-of-bounds territory is not sanctioned, officially or otherwise". I guess the author has never been back there on any given ski day...there are usually dozens (if not more) of back-country skiers enjoying themselves...my wife and I snowshoe there regularly...

Cheers!