• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Two Bedroom Plus Maui Bay Villas by Hilton Grand Vacations in Kihei Maui Hawaii

Clifbell

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
About 15 miles from the Main Airport in Maui sits the Amazing Maui Bay Villas by Hilton Grand Vacations. Kihei is a small beach town on the western shore. I stayed in a two bedroom plus with a nice deck located in Building 8 which has a partial view of the ocean from the deck. The unit also comes with a Sofa-bed.

The pools and hot tubs are amazing. There are three pools in the main section of the timeshare and one pool and hot tub close to the ocean. There is a bar and a restaurant on site (opening in a couple months).The staff was extremely helpful.

I was able to book this about 45 days from arrival.... I was already booked in Maui, so when this came up I grabbed it and adjusted my other stays to make it work. This resort is still a work in process, but it is luxurious. It will be an interesting resort to visit over the coming years... They will be opening another 60 units in the next few months so availability should improve. And the restaurant on the ocean will open in November as well. I got a free upgrade which i found amazing given how difficult it is to book this place. Guess it was because I booked off peak

Map of all my timeshare reviews

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks @Clifbell for your video review. Beautiful resort. I cannot wait to try it.

Did you notice if they have BBQ stations available?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
About 15 miles from the Main Airport in Maui sits the Amazing Maui Bay Villas by Hilton Grand Vacations. Kihei is a small beach town on the western shore. I stayed in a two bedroom plus with a nice deck located in Building 8 which has a partial view of the ocean from the deck. The unit also comes with a Sofa-bed.

The pools and hot tubs are amazing. There are three pools in the main section of the timeshare and one pool and hot tub close to the ocean. There is a bar and a restaurant on site (opening in a couple months).The staff was extremely helpful.

I was able to book this about 45 days from arrival.... I was already booked in Maui, so when this came up I grabbed it and adjusted my other stays to make it work. This resort is still a work in process, but it is luxurious. It will be an interesting resort to visit over the coming years... They will be opening another 60 units in the next few months so availability should improve. And the restaurant on the ocean will open in November as well. I got a free upgrade which i found amazing given how difficult it is to book this place. Guess it was because I booked off peak

Map of all my timeshare reviews
I'm decidedly underwhelmed. I was on the early opportunity to buy list. I thought their prices were crazy high. Anyone here on TUBBS knows well that there is a robust secondary market. You can buy two or even three two-bedroom oceanfront timeshare units at the Marriott right on the beach in Kaanapali for the price of one two-bedroom at the Hilton. The pool is nice, but the background is cars driving down the road. At the Marriott the background is the beach and ocean. The rooms are nice, but their main attribute is being new. Other than that, they are typical. I cannot imagine why anyone would spend $120,000 or more there instead of one-third as much at the Marriott.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP. thanks I enjoyed your video. thanks for sharing.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I'm decidedly underwhelmed. I was on the early opportunity to buy list. I thought their prices were crazy high. Anyone here on TUBBS knows well that there is a robust secondary market. You can buy two or even three two-bedroom oceanfront timeshare units at the Marriott right on the beach in Kaanapali for the price of one two-bedroom at the Hilton. The pool is nice, but the background is cars driving down the road. At the Marriott the background is the beach and ocean. The rooms are nice, but their main attribute is being new. Other than that, they are typical. I cannot imagine why anyone would spend $120,000 or more there instead of one-third as much at the Marriott.

I completely understand your reasoning. However you are comparing resale vs. retail which is universally better. HGVC also has a large base in Asia which may not be comfortable, or knowledgeable of the resale market. Once these VOIs start hitting the resale market, there will be opportunities.

The Kaanapali beach location is superior (I own resale OF there) however it is crowded and full of chair hogs = stressful. There are more and larger pools at HGVC. I can see the attraction of spending a week on Kaanapali and then spending some time here for a quieter experience.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I completely understand your reasoning. However you are comparing resale vs. retail which is universally better. Once these VOIs start hitting the resale market, there will be opportunities.

The Kaanapali beach location is superior (I own resale OF there) however it is crowded and full of chair hogs = stressful. There are more and larger pools at HGVC. Different strokes for different folks.

HGVC also has a large base in Asia which may not be comfortable, or knowledgeable of the resale market.
Yes. Understood. But if you're perusing TUBBS, you ought to understand. And, this is just me perhaps, but if you are buying a timeshare in Maui, you probably want to be on or next to the beach and the ocean. If all you want is warm weather and a pool, well Kingsland is great, or Palm Desert or Orlando will get you that, and I'm sure there are plenty of wonderful places in Asia. I just thought that for the six-figure ask, it would be spectacular. Doesn't get anywhere near that for me.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yes. Understood. But if you're perusing TUBBS, you ought to understand. And, this is just me perhaps, but if you are buying a timeshare in Maui, you probably want to be on or next to the beach and the ocean. If all you want is warm weather and a pool, well Kingsland is great, or Palm Desert or Orlando will get you that, and I'm sure there are plenty of wonderful places in Asia. I just thought that for the six-figure ask, it would be spectacular. Doesn't get anywhere near that for me.

I get it. There is another pool and clubhouse with a beach across the road as part of this resort if you want full beachside access. IMHO for these reasons, and lack of full OF, the resales here will be more affordable. It might be worth considering especially since Kaanapali is a zoo during summer. A different experience. My blood pressure rises at Kaanapali - competing for lounge chairs, competing for BBQs, not a relaxing Hawaiian vacation.

I want to give this a chance and try it out - but would never pay full retail given your reasons. Kaanapali OF resale is a much better deal.

Last edited:

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wouldn't buy at the Maui Bay Villas... But I would use it... Too expensive to buy.... I agree with @CalGalTraveler

Also will have to wait awhile to see how the property develops... I have a personal bias to Kihei over Ka'anapali / Lahaina. I like the beach town feel to Kihei as opposed to the resort town feel of Lahaina. But that is my personal bias.

I am staying at the Marriott in a couple of days so I will be able to compare... I had to get on a waitlist just to get a room with a kitchen.... That is one strike against Marriott.

I eventually got the reservation, but I had to have two reservations points set aside until the upgrade came through.... And I tried to book at the 12 month mark and didn't get it.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
competing for lounge chairs, competing for BBQs, not a relaxing Hawaiian vacation.
I can’t say I’ve really experienced that. I’ve waited for a BBQ to be sure, but that’s why I bring my bottle of wine and a glass down with me. I relax, chat, and drink Cabernet while I wait. I have yet to feel a week at MOC was not relaxing.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many

Thanks for reviewing this resort, Clif. The pools look great. I think you have stayed at the Westin Resorts in Ka'anapali. Do the pools here look better than the Westin? How do you compare these pools to Kings' Land?

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for reviewing this resort, Clif. The pools look great. I think you have stayed at the Westin Resorts in Ka'anapali. Do the pools here look better than the Westin? How do you compare these pools to Kings' Land?
I think the pools at the Hilton are better than the ones at the Westin. That is not saying that Westin pools are bad. I think the Hilton pools will be even better when they open up the snack bar, etc.... The Westin has live entertainment, etc... Not clear how the Hilton will end up.... But I also am biased for Kihei since it is a beach town. Ka'anapali is more of a resort town.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I think the pools at the Hilton are better than the ones at the Westin. That is not saying that Westin pools are bad. I think the Hilton pools will be even better when they open up the snack bar, etc.... The Westin has live entertainment, etc... Not clear how the Hilton will end up.... But I also am biased for Kihei since it is a beach town. Ka'anapali is more of a resort town.
Ka’anapali is no doubt a resort town. Perhaps as much as anyplace in the world. But a great one!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMHO. Part of the problem with chair hogs at the Westin are that the pools - particularly in the North property are too small relative to the number of guests. We also had friends who could not find seating at the South property either. North started putting chairs on the lawn area which helped to alleviate but those don't have palapas for shade.

The Westins have a 2 bdrm capacity of 8 and HGVC typically have 6 max. This also may factor into the crowding.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
IMHO. Part of the problem with chair hogs at the Westin are that the pools - particularly in the North property are too small relative to the number of guests. We also had friends who could not find seating at the South property either. North started putting chairs on the lawn area which helped to alleviate but those don't have palapas for shade.

The Westins have a 2 bdrm capacity of 8 and HGVC typically have 6 max. This also may factor into the crowding.
Nothing particularly unique here. I recall 20 years ago taking the family to the Grand Wailea Hotel, which was quite expensive and fancy for me back then, and being disappointed that if we were not down at the pool by about 7:00am it was impossible to get a place. I didn't think that for $1000/night one should have to get up before sunrise to fight for a spot at the pool!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Completely agree @csodjd It should apply to timeshares also. Seeing this behavior causes stress because it feels like I haven't left the rat race at home.

FWIW I found that I could always find an available lounge chair at the pools at Kingsland. Time will tell if the pools are sufficiently large at HGVC Maui.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
But I also am biased for Kihei since it is a beach town. Ka'anapali is more of a resort town.
Yes, I'm thinking a week at the Westins and then a few days at this resort using the lower cost points on weeknights might be good. I like both. I wish there was a nice timeshare in Wailea.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was just at WKORV for 19 nights, and for 14 of those nights I had a view of the north pool. Each morning I would look out and see people, and there were always available chairs. I had a conversation with a couple who complained about the need to get up early to get chairs, and they explained that any not directly under an umbrella were unacceptable. So…if you require a chair in a particular location, or based on a feature (such as an umbrella) then I would understand your concern. But otherwise, there were plenty of chairs. And part of my stay was during the time the south pool was closed and there were more people at north.

Whenever we went out to the pool there were always lounges to be found in great locations. It seems from my recent first hand experience that this issue is over exaggerated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Yes, I'm thinking a week at the Westins and then a few days at this resort using the lower cost points on weeknights might be good. I like both. I wish there was a nice timeshare in Wailea.
Not 100% certain but I believe hearing that timeshares are not permitted or allowed at that end of the island.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Good report but it is low season after the kids return to school in mid-Aug. I am assuming that you are also referring to the extra lounge chairs on the lawn? (see below). Not bad but no shade unless you can find a spot behind the building. They added these as a response to complaints about chair hogs. (There are threads on the Vistana board devoted to this if you search.)

I am reporting from peak summer experiences. I now am targeting less busy reservation windows to avoid this. Still awesome in Hawaii though.

20210704_090754.jpg

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Good report but it is low season after the kids return to school in mid-Aug. I am assuming that you are also referring to the extra lounge chairs on the lawn? (see below). Not bad but no shade unless you can find a spot behind the building. They added these as a response to complaints about chair hogs. (There are threads on the Vistana board devoted to this if you search.)

I am reporting from peak summer experiences. I now am targeting less busy reservation windows to avoid this.

.View attachment 65153

There were no chairs on the lawn during my recent visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk