• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Twin engine King Air crash

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The local news is reporting that the passengers or skydivers might have been tourist from the mainland. Not much other news tonight.

By HNN Staff | June 21, 2019 at 6:57 PM HST - Updated June 21 at 9:32 PM
HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - Nine people were killed Friday night when a twin-engine skydiving aircraft crashed on Oahu’s North Shore and then erupted in flames, authorities confirmed.

It appeared to have crashed on takeoff, though authorities stressed that’s still under investigation.

#BREAKING Multiple agencies are responding to a deadly plane crash at Dillingham Airfield. Nine people were confirmed dead after a twin-engine skydiving aircraft went down at around 6:30 p.m. STORY: https://bit.ly/2FtlfGa #HINews #HNN

Posted by Hawaii News Now on Saturday, June 22, 2019
“We saw big smoke. We saw big fire, firemen trying to put it out. Crazy,” said witness Justin Kepa.

“It was probably shooting 15 feet in the air.”

Authorities with the Honolulu Fire Department said the first reports of the downed craft came in about 6:30 p.m. When firefighters arrived, they found the wreckage of the craft fully engulfed in flames.

Photos from the area showed smoke from the fire could be seen from miles away.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Local news reporting 6 employees, 3 customers.... I would have to think they work there for the benefit of sunset jump like this was suppose to be. Really sad accident. Will have to wait for the investigation.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Local news reporting 6 employees, 3 customers.... I would have to think they work there for the benefit of sunset jump like this was suppose to be. Really sad accident. Will have to wait for the investigation.

The numbers could be consistent with three tandem jumps (where a non-jumper [presumably the tourist] is attached to an experienced jumper) - so six people - plus a pilot and maybe a couple photographers who often jump alongside the tandems to provide photos/video. Just speculation of course on the numbers.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
11 people were onboard and it is now reported the worst accident in Hawaii in years. During 1977, I logged 110 hours in a King Air and don’t remember much about that aircraft except how small it was. It sure seems like 11 people would make it over loaded and more difficult to control with an engine failure.

Kapolei

Reaction score
I remember seeing someone do a full loop over the airfield in a King Air at the Reno Air Races in the late 80’s. It sure doesn’t look like that aircraft would fly well fully loaded at a slow speed.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
11 people were onboard and it is now reported the worst accident in Hawaii in years. During 1977, I logged 110 hours in a King Air and don’t remember much about that aircraft except how small it was. It sure seems like 11 people would make it over loaded and more difficult to control with an engine failure.

It would depend on which model King Air this was - the King Air 90 would typically seat two in the cockpit and six in the cabin using a club seating arrangement, a seat facing the door, and a seat atop the toilet. The larger King Air 100-200 series can carry up to about 12 depending on the seating config. But jump operations typically remove all the seats except the pilot seat and cram as many people in with jump gear as will fit within weight limitations. Jump operations have a long reputation for overloading their planes, but many have cleaned up their act in recent years with more oversight. IF the accident plane was a 90-series and was fully-loaded with fuel, it could have been near or over limits. The NTSB will find out the facts.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I remember seeing someone do a full loop over the airfield in a King Air at the Reno Air Races in the late 80’s. It sure doesn’t look like that aircraft would fly well fully loaded at a slow speed.

Are you sure it was a King Air at Reno? I was at the races back then as well, and one of the stars of the airshow held between the various race heats was the great Robert A. "Bob" Hoover who used to do a full aerobatic routine in a Rockwell Shrike Commander twin engine business aircraft as well as a Sabreliner business jet. I don't recall Bob doing anything in a King Air. In any event, almost any aircraft can be rolled and looped in the right hands. Tex Johnston once rolled a Boeing 707 and currently, airshow pilot David Martin of Texas does an airshow aerobatic routine in a Beechcraft Baron twin - even several maneuvers with both props feathered.

Martin Cover  copy.jpg

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the local newspaper today. In 2016, the pilot was not qualified to fly the aircraft and did not do preflight planning. That was in California. But it seems like more oversight is needed everywhere.
—————————

National Transportation Safety Board investigators today are slated to launch their onsite inquiry into the crash of a twin-engine plane that killed 11 people Friday at Dillingham Airfield in Mokuleia.

The Oahu Parachute Center plane was the same aircraft involved in a mishap three years ago in Byron, Calif.

The Beechcraft King Air BE 65-A90 crashed Friday at 6:24 p.m. soon after takeoff. Witnesses saw billowing black smoke and the wreckage engulfed in flames at the airfield’s fence line, away from the runway.

On July 23, 2016, the same plane was flying over a parachute jumpsite with 15 people on board when it stalled and spun, according to an NTSB report.

RELATED
>> NTSB report: Recurring safety issues noted in skydiving aircraft crashes

The pilot managed to gain control of the aircraft to “a wings-level attitude” but the plane stalled and spun again. All jumpers on board successfully exited the aircraft during the second spin and no injuries were reported.

After about nine rotations, the pilot recovered the aircraft but shortly thereafter, the plane stalled and rotated downward again. The pilot eventually gained control and flew back to the airport.

Once the aircraft landed, a witness observed the plane’s right horizontal stabilizer and elevator missing. The airplane parts were subsequently recovered in a field a few miles south of the airport. Investigators determined the stabilizer and elevator were “overstressed during the airplane’s left spin recovery, the report said.

The NTSB blamed the mishap on pilot error due to failure to adhere to proper “spin recovery procedures.”

NTSB spokesman Keith Holloway said in addition to Friday’s crash scene, examination of air traffic control communications, weather conditions, radar data, pilot history including medical history, and the aircraft’s maintenance history will be part of the investigation.

Holloway said during a phone interview from Washington, D.C., that it will take 18 to 24 months to determine probable cause of the crash.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The Beechcraft King Air BE 65-A90 crashed Friday at 6:24 p.m. soon after takeoff. Witnesses saw billowing black smoke and the wreckage engulfed in flames at the airfield’s fence line, away from the runway.

The A90 version is one of the older versions of the King Air 90 series, built between 1966 and 1968; in 1968 production switched to the B90 variant with slightly larger engines and improved useful load. Hard to tell if he was overloaded with 11 on board, but the NTSB will find out.

From the local newspaper today. In 2016, the pilot was not qualified to fly the aircraft and did not do preflight planning. That was in California.

RELATED
>> NTSB report: Recurring safety issues noted in skydiving aircraft crashes
As I read the article you linked, I think the reference to "the pilot was unqualified to operate the plane and did not conduct appropriate pre-flight planning," was in reference to the 1981 Beech D-18 crash off Ford Island in Pearl Harbor.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The A90 version is one of the older versions of the King Air 90 series, built between 1966 and 1968; in 1968 production switched to the B90 variant with slightly larger engines and improved useful load. Hard to tell if he was overloaded with 11 on board, but the NTSB will find out.

As I read the article you linked, I think the reference to "the pilot was unqualified to operate the plane and did not conduct appropriate pre-flight planning," was in reference to the 1981 Beech D-18 crash off Ford Island in Pearl Harbor.

It says in 2016 and reports on that incident. The Pearl Harbor accident was years before that. Maybe you are right and the newspaper is mixing it up. But in either case, more oversight is needed.

The accident in Kauai that happened three years ago was in a single engine aircraft that lost an engine and the pilot did not maintain flying speed. Maybe there was no place to set the aircraft down and the end result would have been the same. But, I have seen too many accidents where the aircraft stalled after engine failure and came straight down. The FAA should be giving more check rides to qualified pilots, especially those pilots that carry more than three passengers.

Last edited:

Kapolei

Reaction score
My memory could be off on Reno. Google isn’t helping here.
I got my pilot’s license back in those days. It’s been many many years since I have flown a plane.
But the internet has certainly helped me learn a lot in recent years.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
It says in 2016 and reports on that incident. The Pearl Harbor accident was years before that. Maybe you are right and the newspaper is mixing it up. But in either case, more oversight is needed.
Not that relevant either way, but here is the quote from the article that I was referencing. To me it sounds like that last paragraph is referring to the 1981 accident...FWIW

In the second crash, 11 members of a skydiving team, including the pilot, were killed when their twin-engine Beechcraft Delta 18 crashed into Pearl Harbor on Dec. 5, 1981. The group was supposed to parachute into Aloha Stadium before a University of Hawaii football game, but poor conditions forced them to cancel the jump.

The plane went into a dive and hit the reef off Ford Island. Four of the skydivers attempted to parachute out of the plane but only one survived.

An NTSB report cited the 20-year-old pilot’s failure to maintain air speed as the probably cause. The report also noted the pilot was unqualified to operate the plane and did not conduct appropriate pre-flight planning, and that the Beechcraft was not properly loaded.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'm very attuned to these jump-plane accidents these days....my son is a pro-class skydiver right now.

Let me just say this: Professionals can skydive safely. But, only if they are supported by a professional aircraft and pilot.
Many of the operators are simply NOT professional these days. IMO.

Below, the pictures show what an A90 King Air looks like.

The main problem is this: Weight and Balance.
As you might notice, there are only benches in the back of the plane. Additionally, most experienced jumpers do not like/use the restraint systems (seatbelts) in the aircraft. The hooks/latches can become tangled on straps and gear and cause problems. Plus, it's incredibly tight in there. And...if there is a problem, they want to be able to get out of the plane....which may not be possible if strapped/caught in the restraints.

Here's the rub: If all that weight (bodies) moves backward (to the tail) at any time.....the plane will likely crash due to a bad center-of-gravity (CG). These planes are just barely in CG (or weight-and-balance) when fully loaded on a warm day. Like a teeter-totter from Hell, they are tail-heavy.

Jumpers sitting next to the pilot have been known to bump controls as well....a very bad situation if not closely guarded.
Some planes have benches (below) some pads on the floors. Some have co-pilot seat installed, some not.
The group you see below (sitting on the floor) died when their pilot (not IFR rated in a VFR only airplane) crashed into the ground in dense fog.

RIP. So sad.

kingair.jpg
king-air_skydive.jpg

Super-King-Air-Interior.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm very attuned to these jump-plane accidents these days....my son is a pro-class skydiver right now.

Let me just say this: Professionals can skydive safely. But, only if they are supported by a professional aircraft and pilot.
Many of the operators are simply NOT professional these days. IMO.

Below, the pictures show what an A90 King Air looks like.

The main problem is this: Weight and Balance.
As you might notice, there are only benches in the back of the plane. Additionally, most experienced jumpers do not like/use the restraint systems (seatbelts) in the aircraft. The hooks/latches can become tangled on straps and gear and cause problems. Plus, it's incredibly tight in there. And...if there is a problem, they want to be able to get out of the plane....which may not be possible if strapped/caught in the restraints.

Here's the rub: If all that weight (bodies) moves backward (to the tail) at any time.....the plane will likely crash due to a bad center-of-gravity (CG). These planes are just barely in CG (or weight-and-balance) when fully loaded on a warm day. Like a teeter-totter from Hell, they are tail-heavy.

Jumpers sitting next to the pilot have been known to bump controls as well....a very bad situation if not closely guarded.
Some planes have benches (below) some pads on the floors. Some have co-pilot seat installed, some not.
The group you see below (sitting on the floor) died when their pilot (not IFR rated in a VFR only airplane) crashed into the ground in dense fog.

RIP. So sad.

kingair.jpg
king-air_skydive.jpg

Super-King-Air-Interior.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Are there any statistics about how many skydivers are killed in an airplane accident vs how many die from skydiving. From what I have read during the past 40 years, most of them die during an airplane crash. Any pilot carrying passengers for hire is supposed to have advance qualifications or experience, but it seems like a lot of companies are not following the requirements that have been set up by the FAA. From every witness statement on TV, this was an engine failure and immediately after that the aircraft rolled over and it all happened during daylight VFR conditions. An engine failure should not end up like this. I hope that you are asking a lot of questions to the company that is flying your son around.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
krysta skydive.jpg

My Daughter & Son in Law each did a tandem dive when we were on Oahu in April. She didn't tell me until after the fact. It makes me sick to think about this.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Are there any statistics about how many skydivers are killed in an airplane accident vs how many die from skydiving. From what I have read during the past 40 years, most of them die during an airplane crash. Any pilot carrying passengers for hire is supposed to have advance qualifications or experience, but it seems like a lot of companies are not following the requirements that have been set up by the FAA. From every witness statement on TV, this was an engine failure and immediately after that the aircraft rolled over and it all happened during daylight VFR conditions. An engine failure should not end up like this. I hope that you are asking a lot of questions to the company that is flying your son around.

Apparently the standards are different if they were using a King Air on a tourist flight instead of for skydiving. Maybe a commercial pilot could chime in here.

The other thing I noticed was this shop was offering $20 fun jump specials on Saturdays if all 13 slots are filled. I guess that is the ticket for those already certified with equipment. If you do the math, that is a couple hundred bucks to put a complex aircraft in the air with a pilot. Sounds like it is on the very low budget end of flight operations.

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
KCRA News in Sacramento is reporting today that the plane was owned by Skydive Sacramento, which has its office in Lincoln, California. Apparently, the same company had an issue three years ago when a group of skydivers were literally told to jump out of a plane that was falling apart. Video from the story showed pieces of the plane falling at the same time the skydivers were falling and releasing their parachutes.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Apparently the standards are different if they were using a King Air on a tourist flight instead of for skydiving. Maybe a commercial pilot could chime in here.

The other thing I noticed was this shop was offering $20 fun jump specials on Saturdays if all 13 slots are filled. I guess that is the ticket for those already certified with equipment. If you do the math, that is a couple hundred bucks to put a complex aircraft in the air with a pilot. Sounds like it is on the very low budget end of flight operations.

Both commercial local sightseeing flights (within a 25 mile radius) and commercial parachute operations are covered under Part 91 of the FAA regulations, so the requirements for commercial aircraft certification/maintenance and pilot certification are similar if not identical, I believe. Pilots need to have an FAA commercial pilot license and the aircraft need inspections every 100 hours instead of annually (the annual requirement is for non-commercial use aircraft). Some air tour operations wind up being covered under Part 135 of the FAA regs, those are the regs that cover charter operations. I'm not 100% sure what would cause an air tour company to need to be regulated under Part 135 instead of Part 91, but Part 135 has more stringent pilot requirements and maintenance requirements. One thing that may trigger the need to be regulated under part 135 is if the tours go beyond 25 miles from the point of origin, and there may be be other factors.

As far as the economics of the operation, an operation like the Hawaii jump operator probably makes most of their money from tandem jumps (where a non-certified jumper/tourist jumps attached to an experienced skydiver) or jump instruction. A tandem jump usually costs $250-$300, then they have ad-ons for photos/video. A full jump certification course can cost $1500 to $2000 or more. So the $20 fun jumps are certainly not the core revenue stream for an operation like this. If a load of jumpers included two or three tandems, each 15-20 minute hop with 10-12 jumpers could generate close to $1000 or more of revenue. One reason commercial jump operations like turbine powered aircraft like a King Air is they can climb to altitude quickly, reducing the cycle time between jump runs and allowing more jump runs per day.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
KCRA News in Sacramento is reporting today that the plane was owned by Skydive Sacramento, which has its office in Lincoln, California. Apparently, the same company had an issue three years ago when a group of skydivers were literally told to jump out of a plane that was falling apart. Video from the story showed pieces of the plane falling at the same time the skydivers were falling and releasing their parachutes.

My understanding of the California incident (it was reported on the news that the Hawaii aircraft was the same airframe involved in the California incident) was that for some reason - maybe improper weight and balance or poor pilot technique - the California aircraft entered a spin and was overstressed during the spin recovery because the pilot did not follow proper spin recovery procedures. As a result, one of the two horizontal stabilizers/elevators separated from the aircraft. Those were the parts that were videoed falling with the skydivers. Despite the structural damage, the pilot was able to land the plane successfully.

Last edited:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is sad that loss of life has to occur before change happens, but after reading what the NTSB says, I think change is coming.

——————-

From today’s Star Advertiser newspaper

The National Transportation Safety Board is urging the Federal Aviation Administration to increase regulations for aircraft that operate parachuting services in the wake of Friday’s fatal skydiving plane crash in Mokuleia.

“Are we trying to put the FAA on notice for this? Yes,” said Jennifer Homendy, board member of the NTSB. “We identified several safety concerns in 2008 with respect to parachute jump operations. Accidents continue to happen.”

The federal agency held its second briefing following Friday’s Dillingham Airfield crash, which killed all 11 people on board, and it asked that the FAA categorize parachuting service operators so that their planes are required to undergo more extensive maintenance and inspections.

They are currently exempt from safety regulations that operators of other paid aircraft-based services must follow.

“Many times manufacturers will issue special bulletins advising operators to make certain repairs or changes to their aircraft — they aren’t required to comply to those,” Homendy said during Monday’s briefing.

NTSB spokesman Eric Weiss said that in addition to the bulletins, operators of parachuting services have different regulations for “pilot requirements, the requirements for oversight, oversight to training, weight and balance — there are many differences.”

Aircraft operators are categorized by the FAA depending on the type of service they are providing, and they fall into three parts under the 14 Code of Federations Regulations: Part 91, Part 135 and Part 121.

Part 91 operators are under the most lax requirements and don’t have to comply with manufacturer bulletins and other regulations. Part 121 is the strictest category, but Parts 135 and 121 are both stricter than Part 91 operators and apply to paid services.

“If you take money for a flight, that’s the Part 135 flight,” Weiss said. “However, if those people paying for those are parachutists, it goes down to Part 91.”

The NTSB recommended in 2008 that the FAA place parachuting operators into a category that’s stricter than the regulations found in Part 91, though the FAA declined to make those changes.

When asked why, Homendy said, “I think that’s a great question for the FAA. We would like them to follow through with those, but they have not.”

Ian Gregor, an FAA spokesman, said in a statement that safety is the agency’s top priority.

“The FAA takes NTSB recommendations very seriously, and implemented a number of changes to address recommendations the NTSB made about parachuting operations,” the statement said.

In its 2008 safety recommendation letter to the FAA, the NTSB noted that there were 32 accidents in the U.S. involving parachuting operations from 1980 to 2008, which led to 172 deaths. Friday’s crash was the deadliest civilian aircraft accident in the U.S. since 2011.

The NTSB released a special investigation report that year that analyzed some of the accidents and reported problems that included maintenance issues, noncompliance with airplane weight and balance limitations, failure to maintain airspeed while flying and inadequate execution of emergency procedures, problems the agency said “likely could have been detected by FAA inspectors had adequate direct surveillance visits been performed.”

Tony Skinner, who said he was previously a pilot with Oahu Parachute Center, the operator of the plane that crashed Friday, said that the pilot, Jerome Renck, wasn’t really given much training on the plane.

Skinner said he was just shown how to start the plane, take off, taxi and land. The training also included how to configure the plane for jump runs, where the plane must climb to a certain altitude where the skydivers will jump from.

“It’s not really training,” Skinner said, but more like “familiarization.”

“It’s a complex plane,” he said. “Unfortunately, Part 91 (the FAA regulation) doesn’t have any kind of stringent rules and regulations concerning flying.”

He added, “There’s no training in emergency procedures.”

Most pilots with the company don’t have a lot of flying time, said Skinner, who now works for Hawaii Life Flight, which provides air medical transportation.

U.S. Rep. Ed Case has been outspoken in calling for changes to regulations for recreational aircraft in Hawaii, and also spoke out after the April helicopter crash in Kailua, which killed three people and landed in the middle of a neighborhood.

Case’s concerns revolve around issues of both safety and disruption caused by recreational aircraft.

“It seems inescapable to me at this point that the safety and community disruption regulation is completely insufficient,” he said. “That not only impacts the people that take those aircraft up … but folks on the ground.”

Case also said that because recreational aircraft fly over residential areas, if one crashes it could potentially hurt people not in the aircraft.

“Should we be regulating more rigidly for whether these aircraft can transit over occupied areas? Should we be regulating more rigidly for time of day operations?” he asked. “It increasingly seems like the Wild West in the air over Hawaii, and that’s a very very dangerous and unacceptable situation for us.”

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you didn’t read the link above, it is worth a look. Just amazing the FAA didn’t do anything after the special investigation report in 2008. Maybe the accident in Kauai three years ago, this one and others would have been prevented. The NTSB is not going to let the FAA slide any longer. Change is coming.

https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-studies/Documents/SIR0801.pdf

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some data attached from the report.

EA11E4C8-500F-41C0-B8B4-5D905897BBA1.png
97779EBC-F181-4534-93B7-B64C3F166927.png

Attachments

• 1163EEC1-E9FE-4B80-B03E-1E35C0B0379C.png
    1163EEC1-E9FE-4B80-B03E-1E35C0B0379C.png
    191.7 KB · Views: 15

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Regulating parachute flights under Part 135, as the article seems to encourage/suggest, would seem to be overkill. Part 135 is designed for charter operations, meaning they are usually taking paying passengers from Point A to Point B, maybe in both good and bad weather, thus the more stringent pilot and aircraft requirements. I suspect having to have their aircraft comply with Part 135 would put many, if not most, jump operators out of business, and the rules, maintenance, and training requirements Part 135 would impose on these operators are not particularly relevant to jump operations. These flights rarely go more than a couple miles from the launch point, only fly in basically good weather, and are a totally different type of operation than a 135 operator. Many of the larger air tour operators are operating under Part 135 as a charter operator, and they are required to if any of their tours go farther than 25 miles from the starting point, but those operations tend to look a lot more like charters (they just land from the same place they left from). A jump operation is a different beast, and Part 91 regs should be adequate for a parachute center to safely operate their aircraft - if the current regs are followed and enforced.

In my opinion, the safety issue here is not that Part 91 doesn't have enough requirements, but is caused more by these issues:
1) There is pressure on the pilot from the jump operator to pack as many jumpers in the plane as possible, increasing the occurrence of overweight situations that degrade aircraft performance and handling.
2) These are not highly desirable pilot jobs, so the pay is low and it tends to be a time-building job for aspiring pilots.
3) There is no special FAA rating or certification needed to fly jumpers other than a standard commercial pilot license, so operations-specific training is somewhat lacking.

There is definitely room for improvement, but better oversight and enforcement of existing Part 91 regs should be adequate, with the possible exception being that perhaps some sort of new parachute-specific rating or training could be developed to ensure that all pilots flying jumpers have been trained properly.

Kapolei

Reaction score
There may be no way of finding out if the jumpers were strapped in. Perhaps there will be clues. 2000 lbs of payload not tied down may have rendered the control inputs useless. I would not be quick to blame the pilot. I appreciate that people have dedicated their lives to this kind of forensics.