• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TV news show sting alleges NYC hotels weren't following coronavirus cleaning procedures

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
11:31 pm EDT Jun. 29, 2020

Major hotel chains have announced special cleaning protocols in light of the coronavirus, but a television news show investigation is raising questions about whether they are being followed.

The syndicated news show "Inside Edition" aired a report Monday that alleges two of the three hotels it checked in New York didn't thoroughly clean rooms or change bed linens between visits. It identified them as the Hyatt Place Times Square and the Hampton Inn Times Square Central. A third hotel, the Trump International overlooking Central Park did better, but wasn't perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Housekeeper and the Housekeeping Supervisor, should be call in to explain their actions and the safety violations. to hotel management. IMHO.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I suspect you can’t trust anyone to clean thoroughly. It is up to the cleaning staff to implement it. They are not that thorough at my house either. It is hard to find good cleaning people. I have had many cleaners over the years and I just put up with ”good enough.”

Wow, I just read the article. The hotels should be doing these tests themselves. They need to monitor the cleaning staff. I never realized that the cleaning staff might not change linens and pillow cases after every stay. This is super alarming. I think it comes down to bad oversight of the cleaning staff. The hotels need to monitor their protocols. It sounds like this is a pre Covid problem.

It sounds like too much work for me to bring my own sheets and pillow cases. I wonder if timeshares are any better at implementing their cleaning protocols since most people stay at least one week. I would hope that the cleaning staff at timeshares definitely change the sheets and pillow cases after a one week or longer stay. I would hope the cleaning staff would not fudge their job at timeshares. I wonder if there is any way to suggest this to the board of directors at the timeshares. The cleaning portion of the budgets is quite high so I would expect them to have good oversight.

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes you wonder how many other hotels/timeshares do not do what they are supposed to do. Not changing the linens is definitely a concern. This is why I don't rely on everyone else. I will do what I feel is necessary to take care of myself - up to a certain point and cannot be done 100%.

I wipe quiet a few things with lysol wipes. I wash any dishes/utensils before we use them, etc.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yup, I thought this article confirmation of my posts a couple of months ago about why I have zero plans to travel soon. Many on TUG are anxious to travel and willing to take the inherent risks by doing so, yet seem to gloss over the risk at the hotel/resort/timeshare and focus instead on the regulations involved in getting to Hawaii or minimizing risk when traveling by plane. You will spend most of your time in the unit, and if it’s not clean... of course, it’s quite likely hotels and more have had this type of incomplete cleaning for many years. After all, why else would there be many travelers (such as myself) who travel with a blacklight and check the bed and more upon arriving?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just returned from. My first business trip since this started. I wiped down all surfaces when I checked in to the room. I'm not ready to trust the staff disinfected properly.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Random though: Ken is Mr. Monk...

I do agree with your point here though as home looks better every day.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hotel and Timeshare Cleanliness especially during the Coronvirus Pandemic

One thing guests can do is remove bed sheets and pillow cases and place them in the bathroom tub along with all of the towels. Then run a little hot water on them. That way, the Cleaning Staff will have to remove the wet items and replace those items for the next guest. Bedspreads, Blankets and Heavy Quilts are another problem. Who do you think was cleaning all these resorts & buildings during the Stay in Place for months?

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I had to make a 1200 mile trip (each way) a few weeks ago. We had originally planned to fly, but decided driving was safer. Because of the distance, we had to stay in a hotel for one night in each direction. (While at the destination, stayed with her brother).

We brought along sleeping bags and pillows, because we weren't going to trust the sheets/linens were clean. And of course, we wiped down every surface we could find with antiseptic wipes. We've been back 3 weeks with no problems, so I guess we did OK.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't trust anyone but myself to ensure something is disinfected. And I'm sure I don't get everything, but I probably get more than the person that cleaned the room/unit. (full disclosure: even pre-covid days I was the one wiping down plane seats and tray tables and washing dishes before use in TSs).

Last week we stayed at a TS. I thought low risk, the resort opened on Monday and we were to arrive on Friday. I assumed the room would have been vacant for months, but I did call a couple days prior and asked if anyone was presently in the room and was told yes. The conversation went on and ended with "with all we have to do to meet CDC guidelines, there is no way you will catch Covid from one of our rooms". We chatted about how "soft" items were removed from rooms like throw pillows, remotes were shrink wrapped in plastic for easier cleaning and a fogger they had to buy.

Don't care, I'm still doing things myself (as I always have, just to a higher degree). My first thing was to start running everything through the dishwasher, I found a greasy measuring cup and spatula that were used (never washed) put away. That in itself was enough to make me question the entire unit.

I emptied a can of Lysol in the place (bathrooms, door handles, nobs, remotes, light switches, plastic furniture on the patio) all got a good dose of spray and then I let it sit to disinfect.
Other things, like the back of dining room chairs, where one would grab to pull the seat out were also dealt with. I can say by the look of my papertowel, this wasn't a place that was cleaned often.

Where I did stop my insanity was linens and towels. I brought Lysol laundry sanitizer with me to deal with this. But, did not take that step because I considered lower risk because the room had not been occupied for months with various people. I did however throw all the pillows in the clothes dryer on a high heat cycle. (honestly, don't really think that kills Covid, but it made me feel better). Net trip, I will most likely do because the room would have had multiple guests prior to me.

As we were getting ready to leave, I grabbed the check out "to do" list. One of the items....strip any bed that was used and put all used towels in a pile near the front door. I took all towels and all linens (used or not) and put them in the pile, assuming the next person would want "fresh" everything. I also watched housecleaners on the patio next door. A few squirts and a quick wipe was their cleaning of the table and chairs.

One of the things I am conscious of is the difference between cleaning and disinfecting with products....the need for items to stay wet with the product for a time amount to actually disinfect. I think in general, items will be cleaned, but I will question if they are actually disinfected.