• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Turning 1 week into 2 with 2br lock off?

srober

Reaction score
Is this possible and if so how?

My wife and I own a 1 week 2 br lock off timeshare at Marriott Grande Vista purchased resale in 2011 and a couple experienced timesharers we spoke to said it could be, but we're not clear on how.

We are new to timesharing (this is our 1st year) and love Grande Vista. So the idea of getting a 2nd week here, 1 in the studio suite and the other in the 1 br villa, for only the cost of an exchange fee sounds great.

While here we went to the timeshare presentation and the salesman also mentioned the 'trick' people use to get 2 weeks out of their lockoff unit.

Could someone please advise us on this. Thanks

PS I'm posting this on the 'Exchange' forum, hope it's in the right place.

SR from Canada

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you want to stay 2 weeks in your home resort you don't need to do it through an exchange company, you can just reserve a week in each half. You would only have to pay the $75 lock off fee to Marriott at the time you make the reservation. If you want to spend one or both weeks somewhere else you would have to deposit to II or another independent exchange company and make an exchange. If you do this you would still have to pay the lock off fee to Marriott at the time you make the reservation but you would also have a chance to trade up to a larger unit while exchanging. You would also have to pay an exchange fee for each half you exchange.

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to stay 2 weeks in your home resort you don't need to do it through an exchange company, you can just reserve a week in each half. You would only have to pay the $75 lock off fee to Marriott at the time you make the reservation.

If the week is a fixed week, rather than a float week is the same still true with Marriott - i.e. a person can reserve the studio for 1 week and then the 1 BR for another, different week, or do both sides of a fixed week lockoff have to be reserved for the same week? Thanks

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Fixed weeks would have to be deposited with an exchange company to get two weeks. The OP mentioned Grande Vista which is all float (unless there are some event weeks).

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Is this possible and if so how?

My wife and I own a 1 week 2 br lock off timeshare at Marriott Grande Vista purchased resale in 2011 and a couple experienced timesharers we spoke to said it could be, but we're not clear on how.

We are new to timesharing (this is our 1st year) and love Grande Vista. So the idea of getting a 2nd week here, 1 in the studio suite and the other in the 1 br villa, for only the cost of an exchange fee sounds great.

While here we went to the timeshare presentation and the salesman also mentioned the 'trick' people use to get 2 weeks out of their lockoff unit.

Could someone please advise us on this. Thanks

PS I'm posting this on the 'Exchange' forum, hope it's in the right place.

SR from Canada

We have done this multiple times over the years. Most our the timeshares we own are lock-off weeks. We purchased a coulple of three bedroom LO units thinking we'd eventually have grandkids and need the extra room at one and purchased the other strictly to trade within the Marriott system.

Most of the time I'm dealing with a one bedroom master suite and a studio unit. Depending on our needs, I've used the one bedroom for even exchanges (one bedroom for one bedroom) or, I've requested exchanges into resorts that only have two bedroom units (Hilton Head Marriott's are all two bedroom units for example).

With the studio, I've never actually made a requst for an exchange. Marriott limits an exchange request made to like for like sleeping accomadations. So, if a studio only sleeps 2 privately, you'll only be able to put in an ongoing request for another studio.

What I've done with the studio is make online manual searches. I simply go to Intervalworld.com, select exchange, put in the dates I'm interested in and then select all destinations. Everything that's available online should pop up. Then I spend time weeding through the options to see if there's anything we're interested in. If we're only interested in one region or resort then I put that in instead of all options.

We have almost always been able to upgrade out studio to either a one bedroom or two bedroom unit, depending on the resort and travel dates. We've found our best deals trading down in demand time. IOW, reserving a high demand week and trading into a lower demand (shoulder season) time frame. For instance, Branson is within driving distance for us and we like to go there in the spring/fall when the heavy family traffic is over. Because there's a ton of availability during the spring/fall vs summer months, there's usually a good selection of one or two bedroom exchanges available online.

We've also used our studio units to upgrade to a one bedroom units in Breckenridge, CO for the summer/fall seasons. September is a good month for Breckenridge since the Aspens are turning and, there's more availability than demand for timeshare units.

It's tougher to exchange a smaller unit for a larger unit during peak demand times or summer vacations since families tend to need those months due to school. By using the studio for shoulder season exchanges, we feel we've done very well and stretch the vacation value we get from our timeshare ownership.

Historical examples taken from our history file at Intervalworld.com

1 bdrm Grand Chateau (March) for 2 bdrm Mountainside (July)
Studio Ocean Pointe (May) for 1 bdrm Mountain Valley Lodge (June)
1 bdrm Grand Chateau (March) for 2 bdrm Harbor Club @ Harbor Town (May)
Studio Ocean Pointe (May) for 1 bdrm Willow Ridge Lodge (Dec)
1 bdrm Grand Chateau (March) for 2 bdrom Barony Beach Club (May)
Studio Ocean Pointe (May) for 2 bdrm Palace View South in Branson (Nov)
Studio Ocean Pointe (May) for 1 bdrm Westgate Branson Woods (Aug)
Studio Ocean Pointe (Nov) for 1 bdrm Willow Ridge Lodge (Dec)

Last edited:

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG - the posters including Doug have given you excellent advice. Marriott timeshares usually work really well in Interval International as Doug has pointed out. I would suggest you become a member of TUG (only 15 dollars) and you can have access to all of the reviews and more and also help support this bulletin board. Funtime