• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TUG killing your chances of selling

upandadam

Reaction score
With all the negative information about timeshare on this site, how does anyone expect to sell their timeshare? if I was reading the info posted on this site I would never buy a timeshare. Sites like this hurt the industry more then protecting people.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
With all the negative information about timeshare on this site, how does anyone expect to sell their timeshare? if I was reading the info posted on this site I would never buy a timeshare. Sites like this hurt the industry more then protecting people.

This makes little sense. On average, Tuggers own a lot more timeshares than the general population. We are here to educate people about timeshare, not to discourage people from buying.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have to disagree with you, TUG clearly recommends buying resale.

We also warn about predatory developers, and scammers on the resale/rental market.

I see that your only posts are in regards to a suspicious resale company. Are you trying to sell your timeshare?

Unfortunately, most timeshares resale for 0-5% of original retail price - that has nothing to do with TUG.

HOW CAN I GIVE MY TIMESHARE AWAY ON TUG? -

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132509

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

OK, and without realistic information about value, pricing, features, just who would buy a resale timeshare? Info gathered on this site prompts people to be informed, and buy resale from current owners and creates a secondary market. If you are saying that people use the information to avoid buying retail from developers, you'd be right. We hope that people see that developers overcharge, and must lie to convince people to purchase. If they told the truth- that there is no such thing as a 'new' timeshare, and that the moment one signs a contract for a multi- tens of thousand dollars timeshare, it's essentially worthless.

If the 'industry' wanted to "protect people", they would build a system in which there is a market for their customers to trade-in, or dispose of, or upgrade timeshares as life changes occur among their customers.

No one is getting any younger, and eventually all those timeshare owners will stop traveling, the maintenance fees have escalated at such a rate that the heirs of owners don't see value- only permanent, ongoing debt. The owner has no choice but to give it away- or fall prey to upfront-fee outfits that more than likely will abandon the TS to a bankrupt LCC, or force the resort to foreclose to get it back.

We're open to hear your solutions.

Jim

aandmrun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshares Aren't for Everyone

I tend to disagree about TUG making it hard for others to buy timeshares because I do know that timeshares are not for everyone. Being a timeshare owner for over 20 years, I think this is a great site for people to explore and know what they are getting into. We love our timeshares because we have learned the ins and outs and how to use them wisely. We enjoy at least 5 weeks a year of great vacations on a reasonable budget. That is how I believe timeshares are meant to be used.
By checking out this site, people can make their own decisions as to whether they want to be in for the long run in planning, scheduling, etc.
I have know owners who do not know how to use their weeks and have wasted a lot of money due to the fact that they are not scheduling their vacations in a timely manner. One must put in some time and effort in planning their vacations well in advance. In explaining timeshares to my mother, I told her that it is NOT for everyone and that I consider it a pre-paid vacation because I pay my maintenance fees in advance and then I go and enjoy the weeks without a hotel bill.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
yes, educating owners about the truth is certainly what is killing the resale market.

you got us!

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought SDO resale only BECAUSE of TUG and what I learned about Starwood, RCI and trading. Bought one of our Surf Club weeks from a TUG realtor's ad. I think timeshares are so worth it. Had the opportunity to stay at Disney, Atlantis, Bonnet Creek and Lakeshore Reserve (With AC!). Could have never afforded to stay there if I booked direct. Plus no parking, resort or wifi fees (except Atlantis) which these same or next door hotel were charging guests. I've also shared info with others and convinced another parent to buy HGVC on ebay instead of direct. I've learned so much from my fellow TUGgers, particularly about the Marriott Destinations program.

mbassom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm new to timeshares, but since I have found TUG, I am considering purchasing several more contracts (resale of course) now that I know I don't have to buy from the developer and spend a fortune and am educated about what to look for. TUG is the reason I plan to buy.

geekette

Reaction score
You are free to seek out the really positive timeshare-related info elsewhere on the internet. Good luck with that.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's crazy talk! I recently sold a good week due to a Tug listing. I had it listed on Tug and Redweek. A tugger asked me recently how I got so much because they were looking at the same resort from mass sellers on ebay. One, it's a good fixed summer week, and two, most people do not want to buy from faceless and questionable sellers on ebay.

The price was fair by the way. Not bargain basement but not high either. The buyer was actually skeptical because they thought the price was too low.

Tug is fantastic for selling or transferring timeshares. Don't for one second think that TUG is the reason for low resale prices or difficulty in unloading a timeshare. It's the opposite.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not have taken on timeshares if it were not for TUG. Retail or resale.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
i owned 1 week of timeshare (Starwood) for 14 years, paying about $1k a year in maintenance fees. After I discovered TUG about 5 years ago, I learned so much from TUG that I bought many more timeshares (Starwood, Marriott, Worldmark) and sold one, and now my maintenance fees are about $6.5K per year. Data speaks for itself as to whether TUG helps buying and selling or deters buying and selling.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
i owned 1 week of timeshare (Starwood) for 14 years, paying about $1k a year in maintenance fees. After I discovered TUG about 5 years ago, I learned so much from TUG that I bought many more timeshares (Starwood, Marriott, Worldmark) and sold one, and now my maintenance fees are about $6.5K per year. Data speaks for itself as to whether TUG helps buying and selling or deters buying and selling.

I bought one unit before I knew about TUG. Thanks to my uncle I learned about resale and Redweek so I got it fairly cheap. After my first resale unit I found TUG. I have since bought 26 more and resold 15.

akdrc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 1 unit and a couple days later found TUG. I rescinded said unit. I could have bought the same unit on the resale market for 20-25% of what I paid for it (It was a unit that actually has a little cash value on the secondary market). I opted not to buy the same unit resale after further investigation here and elsewhere - Though I am still planning on buying, I will buy informed.

I've run many different numbers and scenarios. Owning the right unit(s) will work well for my family and not just for financial reasons. With 6 people, getting a two room TS suite is an equal or better deal (in most cases) than getting two rooms or a suite in a hotel. And considering the kitchen and washer/dryer is usually included in a TS..... Nearly Nirvana.

This site does a good job of discouraging ownership - from the developers. I have yet to see a case where a 'retail' purchase makes real financial sense, though I am new to all this......... There may be other reasons to 'maybe' :eek::confused:buy from a developer, but I can't think of any good fiscal reasons for doing so.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

My guess is you want to sell for much more than other similar timeshares are selling for.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I have bought 2 resale timeshares since I found TUG. I also own another timeshare bought directly from developer, really regret about the purchase. Without TUG, I probably only stick to the one from developer. I only recommend resale to my friends and relatives, and TUG is a great resource to educate people.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
TUG absolutely hurts developer sales. Their prices are as ridiculous as their unwritten promises about the benefits.

TUG truly enhances resales. It helps people find legitimate sellers/buyers and transfer companies. I didn't discover TUG until a couple of years after we bought a week from the developer. We never would have purchased more at developer prices, but bought 2 more weeks through resale. Thank you TUG. :clap:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG absolutely hurts developer sales. Their prices are as ridiculous as their unwritten promises about the benefits.

TUG truly enhances resales. It helps people find legitimate sellers/buyers and transfer companies. I didn't discover TUG until a couple of years after we bought a week from the developer. We never would have purchased more at developer prices, but bought 2 more weeks through resale. Thank you TUG. :clap:

Moreover, TUG helps us learn how to best USE what we have, so that we don't end up flustered and disgruntled, even if we got it free.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
One could say that TUG hurts new resorts being built but there are enough others out there paying retail that overall tug is not a dent.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I'm not at all average but there's no way I'd own 1 timeshare let alone 3 of them if it weren't for TUG. And I bought them all. None were merely free acquisitions; I paid for them.

The information here helped me decided that timeshare ownership was really the right move for us. At the time we were also considering buying a vacation home or an RV instead of a timeshare.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
depends

If you are trying to sell a January week in OC MD then you are absolutely right. Tug will probably hurt your chances of resale.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judging by the OPs prior posts, I will guess that some developer convinced him that TS was an investment. After being stung by an upfront fee scammer, he's looking for a scapegoat. TUG is handy and advocates low cost resales. He just didn't take the info to heart. Sorry. He's right, but we didn't invent the market.

Jim

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not at all average but there's no way I'd own 1 timeshare let alone 3 of them if it weren't for TUG. And I bought them all. None were merely free acquisitions; I paid for them.

The information here helped me decided that timeshare ownership was really the right move for us. At the time we were also considering buying a vacation home or an RV instead of a timeshare.

You coulda bought a motor home, and I would have paid closing and transfer fees to take it over....

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Judging by the OPs prior posts, < snip>

He just didn't take the info to heart. Sorry. He's right, but we didn't invent the market.

Jim

Thanks, Jim ... when people get conned TWICE, they just kick themselves and everyone else harder.

Most of us are UNHAPPY that the house we live in and brought in the last 8 +/- years, have been a NON-INVESTMENT. I still live in it and PAY more each year in property taxes. I figure the taxes should have gone DOWN except the employees for the town think they should get MORE raises in a year than I have seen in the past 10 years combined as increased income.

So, I changed years ago my plan for a Snowbird Castle on the beach in South Florida - it is now several timeshare weeks in Broward County ... could be worse, I found TUG and brought resale weeks.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's just utter nonsense, with no offense or disrespect intended. The timeshare industry at the developer level is solely motivated and driven by profit, not truth.
Accordingly, it involves absurd overpricing and very aggressive marketing. Unfortunately, it also includes a lot of deceit, misrepresentation, lies and gross exaggeration.
There are also lots of "third party" resale scammers and other parasites associated with timeshares. Have you perhaps had some personal experience with one?

The people on this site, on the other hand, have no underlying sales or profit motive or other hidden agendas in participating here. People with knowledge and experience about timeshares discuss and share and tell it like it is, truthfully and honestly, if sometimes very bluntly (and / or with some personal opinion often thrown in too).
Mistakes made and lessons learned are shared with others. Problems presented here often receive solutions from others. What could possibly be your "beef" with that?

The truth ain't always pretty, but I respectfully submit that prospective buyers can only benefit from having access to truthful information and knowledge obtained from experienced and objective sources. Input often includes the sometimes harsh reality of little or no resale value in certain sectors of the resale marketplace. C'est la vie.

Can this site be "blamed" or "at fault" for its' participants telling the truth? Are you suggesting instead hiding the truth from others when the truth ain't pretty? :shrug:
Maybe I just don't comprehend the intended point, purpose or gripe(s) within your post, but to the extent that I understand your input, I completely disagree with it.

Last edited: