• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TUG celebrates 26th birthday!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
26 years ago this month my father and a group of other Timeshare Owners began to organize what was originally a Prodigy Bulletin Board System (where TUGBBS came from) composed of a handful of Timeshare owners discussion resorts and Timesharing, into what we now call TUG.

TUG was/is actually one of the very first commercial sites on the Internet and the very first website period relating to Timeshares! not sure how many of you remember back to 1993, but the internet wasnt nearly as popular as it is now. The TUG website is older than any other Timeshare related website (and the vast majority of all websites period!)

Over the last Twenty Six years, TUG has helped tens of thousands of timeshare owners, many to this day remain to pass on the gift of knowledge they likely received themselves many moons ago through the various websites and TUGBBS forum installations we have had over the years.

With Millions of dollars worth of Timeshares sold and rented by TUGGERS. With over 44 million in the past few years alone!

On top of that, literally millions of dollars worth of money saved just from folks finding TUG in time to discover the resale market....with over 13 million recorded in just this version of the forum!

More than that though is the unimaginable value of information passed on and learned year after year through nothing more than Timeshare owners helping each other understand and best use this product that comes with no instruction manual. I have even heard in the past TUG is the "handbook" for Timeshares, and believe it to be true to this day.

This community is truly one of a Kind, providing Timeshare owners a place they can truly get help and advice without having to worry about being scammed or ripped off!

other minor historical events that ALSO happened in 1993!

• Politics: Apartheid finally ended in South Africa.
  • The Top Song was Dreamlover by Mariah Carey
  • The Big Movies included Jurassic Park, Mrs. Doubtfire and The Fugitive
  • Price of Bayer Aspirin in 1993: $3.84/100
    Sony (radio) Walkman: $29.98
  • The World Population was ~ 5,477,000,000
  • US Life Expectancy: Males: 72.2 years, Females: 78.8 years
  • The Pentium Processer was invented in 1993.
  • The 1993 VHS release of Aladdin sold 10.6 million copies in its first week.
  • Toronto won the world series
  • Dallas won the Superbowl
  • Florida State won the National Title in Football beating nebraska
  • Pete Sampras / Steffie Graf won wimbleton
  • In 1993, total Internet traffic amounted to approximately 100 TB for the year. As of June 2008, Cisco Systems estimated Internet traffic at 160 TB/s. In other words, the amount of Internet used per second in 2008 exceeded all of the Internet used in 1993.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday TUG and I pray you can see many and have many more Birthday’s.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::wave::hi::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.
All Thanks goes to your Father and the others Brave Pioneers.

Last edited:

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
Happy Birthday! Thank you TUG for a generous, helpful community. I have learned so much. I am very grateful for all the members who answered my private questions in addition to the weekly posts on the website.

jbeachlvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
The Suites at Eastern Slope Inn
Vistana Flex
Congratulations, and HBD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Wow! That is amazing. Congrats to TUG and Brian's dad. How is he, anyway?

I barely knew about computers and connecting to the internet via phone lines until about 1995. I would never have found TUG that way.

Didn't join until 2005. A salesperson at Wyndham on Maui told me about TUG (no Wyndham timeshares on Maui, so very odd that they had a sales' center). Our daughter and son-in-law were with us that trip, and our daughter got us out of there quickly by saying I was an expert at timeshare. He said, "You probably know about TUG?" Of course I didn't. He realized I wasn't a timeshare expert after telling me about TUG. I wasn't all that knowledgeable back then, like our daughter thought, but I am somewhat expertish now. :)

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Congratulations, Brian, and happy birthday TUG! It's a fun place to be.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, TUG! And many, many more! It's fun helping people make the best of a GOOD THING (timesharing) I missed the beginning, but was a paid member back on Prodigy. My, how time flies!

Jim

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Congrats! How is your dad Bill doing? How old is he now? Wish you and your family the best!

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Awesome post, Congratulations TUG!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
All well-deserved Congratulatory kudos aside, I want to personally thank Tug and its keepers for enriching my life. I've been hanging around since before Tug was a Tween, and my life has been greatly improved for the experience. You guys have collectively rocked my world, and I owe you bigly. ;)

Thanks for the memories, Brian. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Dave :wave:

P.S. Not to pick nits, but I'm pretty sure the 1993 Women's Wimbledon winner was Steffi Graf, not Debbie Graf. :)

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Congratulations and happy birthday TUG! This BBS is a part of my daily routine. I joined in 1996 or 1997, after the Prodigy days but with the former format. I consider myself fortunate to have found TUG and the generous TUGGERs who so freely share their knowledge with others.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out, Dave. As a huge tennis nut in the 90s, that was driving me crazy, LOL!

Congrats! I am only-college-students-had-email years old, so I well remember those early days of the web. :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats! How is your dad Bill doing? How old is he now? Wish you and your family the best!

He turned 73 this year and is still enjoying the retired life in the villages!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have also corrected the Wimbledon winner =D

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
26 years ago this month my father and a group of other .... began to organize.....

.... is the unimaginable value of information passed on and learned year after year through nothing more than Timeshare owners helping each other understand and best use this product that comes with no instruction manual. I have even heard in the past TUG is the "handbook" for Timeshares, and believe it to be true to this day.

This community is truly one of a kind .....

other minor historical events that ALSO happened in 1993!
  • Toronto won the world series......

Thank your Dad for creating a true “ pay it forward “community where sharing information
is the continuous norm .

Does he know any baseball scouts ?
- the Blue Jays need some of that pitching they had in 93.

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations and Happy Birthday TUG. Thank you to your dad and now you for keeping this site going!

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday TUG! Thanks for providing me with the knowledge of how to successfully vacation! I remember dial up and rescinding my first timeshare purchase because of TUG!