• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TSP - which way to go?

RDB

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting to read about Thrift Savings Plan withdrawal options.
If you understand the TSP withdrawal rules, maybe you can help me decide which move to make, if any.

We have G fund only. This is my (age 70 1/2) year.

The way I understand, I can keep the TSP, but must start a drawdown this year and pay tax on that withdrawal... OR ... have them purchase a TSP annuity (with MetLife) where I designate monthly or annual payments.

It is likely that one of us will live 15 more years. I'm 71 on 3 March 2009. Caroll will be 68 in Feb.

Any TSP participant opinions?

Robert

The Conch Man

Reaction score
Your right on the money RDB, at 70 & a half you have to start withdrawing your money from TSP. I'm in the G-Fund as well not sure you would want the annuity as you have withdraw either way. The only difference is how much money you want to withdraw as to your income pension you get in a years time. My suggestion is to withdraw all of it & pay the taxes if your income isn't very high, get it out of the way & deposit into a IRA or CD.

Monthly withdrawals maybe the right way to go based on your income pension so you won't have to worry bout it until next tax season to see how it affects you. Just do some analyst of which way to go & lot easier for your to decide. I'd rather pay the taxes in one year & not have to worry bout it in later years.

Last edited:

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the monthly annuity. I will get that annuity every month for the rest of my life, even after the original amount of it has been paid out. But, if I were to pass away before all of my money is paid out, my beneficiary gets the remainder. For example, if I had $20,000 put into the anniuty and got $1000 a month (unrealistic, I know) it would be paid out in 20 months. If I passed away after 10 months my wife would get the remaining $10000. But if I lived for an additional 20 years, I would keep getting the monthly payment.