• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TS to add to summer Acadia Nat Park with teens?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I am planning for summer 2017. Looking for a RCI TS to add to a trip to Boston and Acadia N Park. Family with 3 teens, so need 2BR or 1BR/sleeps 5. What are the nicest/best located TS in the mountains in NH area. We have stayed at Smugglers Notch before and loved it, but want to try a different area (we did Ben/Jerrys, hiking, Montreal already). We like nice units (but will take sub-par digs to be in the perfect location--like smack in the middle of Acadia (not happening)). We like touring around within 1-2 hrs drive, hiking, fishing, white water rafting, canoeing. thanks, Elaine

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We stayed at the Village of Winnepisawkee a few years ago, overlooks Lake Winnepisawkee short walk to Wiers Beach, lots of Boardwalk activity for teens. Have 2 and three bedroom units. Usually lots of inventory on RCI.
Silentg

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I hope you realize that Acadia National park is about 200 miles from the NH mountains. I'm not really wild about the RCI selection there, but InnSeasons/Pollard Brook is nice enough in Lincoln, NH. There's also Cold Spring Resort nearer Winnipesaukee and the 3 resorts in Bethel (not considering the one on the river).

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks. What I meant was that we would go to a NH mtn TS after 3 days in Acadia. I would love to get a TS close to Acadia, such as Someset (I have an OGS), but would be OK to pay $ for BArt Harbor/Acadia hoteland then move to a NH Mtn TS for relaxing, hiking, etc. Driving up from DC, so want to make it a 10 day trip, given the long drive.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks. What I meant was that we would go to a NH mtn TS after 3 days in Acadia. I would love to get a TS close to Acadia, such as Someset (I have an OGS), but would be OK to pay $ for BArt Harbor/Acadia hoteland then move to a NH Mtn TS for relaxing, hiking, etc. Driving up from DC, so want to make it a 10 day trip, given the long drive.

There are numerous timeshares in and around Lincoln, NH which provide access to the mountains and the nearby Kancamagus (sp?) "highway" for trail access. Some have been mentioned already, but we stayed at a (RCI affiliated) partial timeshare property just outside Lincoln called Deer Park some years back --- a decent enough place.

Assuming that you are referring to Samoset in Rockport, Maine, don't plan on finding a summer week offered as an "exchange" there. It happens, but only infrequently. Samoset owners of summer weeks who aren't using them will generally rent them out for good money, rather than "deposit for exchange", particulalry since Samoset deposits are strangely undervalued by RCI due to an alleged "partial kitchen" (i.e., no oven beneath stovetop). Also, Samoset is more than an hours' drive away from Acadia N.P. and summer driving on U.S. Route 1 is no picnic. Samoset would not be a particularly great "base" for making multiple visits to Acadia N.P. within a single summer week.

Acadia Village Resort in Ellsworth is certainly much closer to Acadia N.P. than Samoset, but as far as I know is affiliated only with II and not with RCI.

Harbor Ridge in Southwest Harbor would surely be your best bet among the few area timeshares for proximity to the Acadia N.P., but AFAIK Harbor Ridge might also be II only (not RCI) affiliated, unless things have changed in recent years and it's now maybe dual affiliated. Perhaps consider looking for a Harbor Ridge summer rental; it might well be your best shot for success at finding a 2BR summer timeshare week near Acadia N.P.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thank you, Theo for the great info. I had planned on just paying for 3 nights for a hotel near Acadia, then moving over to a TS in the mtns, so that still sounds like the best plan for us--unless my wild card Samoset OGS hits.
It looks like there are a number of TS in the mtns that would have summer availability like Attitash (NH), or Sunday River, Jordan (ME), or even the green mtns in VT (HI vacation club, grand summit, etc,). We went to Banff last summer and loved all the outdoors things to do, plus a cute town for shopping, dining, etc. I know we won't get the Canadian rockies on the East coast, but looking for something to have a similar type trip (with no airfare this time). Which of the above (or other suggestion) would tuggers choose? thanks, Elaine

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
I didn't mention Deer Park, as I only have seen it rarely for summer exchanges and only stayed there once, but it is probably the second best bet for the Lincoln area. As to rentals near Acadia, Harbor Ridge does not seem to do much in rentals, but Acadia Village in Ellsworth does. Acadia Village is only II affiliated and I think Harbor Ridge is also.
Samoset is dual affiliated with most activity being with RCI and is at least an hour from the major areas of Acadia National Park. Somoset is always a tough trade for summer.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
thank you, Theo for the great info. I had planned on just paying for 3 nights for a hotel near Acadia, then moving over to a TS in the mtns, so that still sounds like the best plan for us--unless my wild card Samoset OGS hits.
It looks like there are a number of TS in the mtns that would have summer availability like Attitash (NH), or Sunday River, Jordan (ME), or even the green mtns in VT (HI vacation club, grand summit, etc,). We went to Banff last summer and loved all the outdoors things to do, plus a cute town for shopping, dining, etc. I know we won't get the Canadian rockies on the East coast, but looking for something to have a similar type trip (with no airfare this time). Which of the above (or other suggestion) would tuggers choose? thanks, Elaine

We've stayed at the Jordan Grand Hotel, Bethel Inn, and the Grand Summit. DO NOT stay at the Grand Summit Hotel at Sunday River...they charge a housekeeping fee based on the size of the unit, and you can't opt out. (In other words...even if housekeeping doesn't come in, you still have to pay.) We liked Bethel Inn's location, even if the units aren't particularly fancy. Jordan Grand was very nice, but it is off the beaten path. Good luck as you think about where to stay. We've gotten to enjoy many of the places you mentioned...lots to explore in that area! Good luck!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Didn't know that about the Grand Summit, but those were the 3 I was referring to. Off the beaten path for the Jordan Grand is an understatement, more like that hotel in the movie The Shining.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Didn't know that about the Grand Summit, but those were the 3 I was referring to. Off the beaten path for the Jordan Grand is an understatement, more like that hotel in the movie The Shining.

We stayed there in August, so off the beaten path was great! No crowds, no noise, pool to ourselves. My folks were there in October once...stayed in a beautiful 2 BR, and were the only people on the whole floor. We'd go back in a heartbeat. (We live on the coast of Maine, so it's an easy drive.) Grand Summit is older, and the housekeeping fee is a deal-breaker. Won't go back. We really enjoy the Bethel Inn, too. (We have 4 kids, so there's room for everyone to spread out.) Headed there in August 2016. :banana:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Narrowing it down to Bethel, ME vs. Bartlett/Conway/Jackson, NH area? I like the idea of zip line, zip seats, hiking @ Jackson Falls, Diana's Baths @ Jackson area. Which are has better topography, more to do, hiking (including scenic, but non-strenuous in case my Mom comes with us)? thanks, Tuggers!

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
Bartlet is not bad but my area of choice is Lincoln - lots to do in the area.

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
In Bar Harbor, we can recommend the Greycote Inn. A lovely B&B on a side street. 10 minute walk to downtown. 9-10 rooms to choose from.

Nkn
:hi:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Just got an exchange to Village of Winnepisawkee for August 2016, went to check reviews and last review was mine from my last trip 5 years ago! No one has been there since?
Silentg

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bartlet is not bad but my area of choice is Lincoln - lots to do in the area.

I agree, although I am admittedly not a really huge NH fan in the first place.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Off the beaten path for the Jordan Grand is an understatement, more like that hotel in the movie The Shining.

In all fairness, Jordan Grand does provide almost ski-in / ski-out access at Sunday River. In addition, there is a truly spectacular championship golf course close by.
The sizable heated pool is quite delightful in the winter cold too.

While the Jordan Grand is not my personal cup of tea either, I have certainly enjoyed some occasional ski visits when invited by friends who own a "quarter share" there.
As always, to each their own.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
There are only 4 TUG reviews of the Jordan Grand and the 2001 review was mine. It has more details as to why I have no plans of returning there.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
4 years ago, we stayed at Crown Ridge in N. Conway NH. We really like this place. They had 2 types of units; townhouse and sort of stand alone. We had one of the stand alone. It was only connected to another unit, but you really didn't notice it. Had garage, basement with pool table, three nice bedrooms. Resort had small indoor pool. A little bit off the beaten path, but close enough to North Conway for activities.

Had no teens so can't compare what they would like.

Nancy

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Blue Green South Mountain is nice, as is Pollard Brook. And then there is Loon- all in Lincoln which is right off the highway providing easy access to the Whites and you can even take a run down to the Lakes region from there. I do it all the time.

And- you can even take a beautiful drive on the Kanc and head over to North Conway for a day trip.

I have stayed everywhere in NH and ended up acquiring a week at Pollard Brook. Nice enough place and Lincoln is where I prefer to be.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Narrowing it down to Bethel, ME vs. Bartlett/Conway/Jackson, NH area? I like the idea of zip line, zip seats, hiking @ Jackson Falls, Diana's Baths @ Jackson area. Which are has better topography, more to do, hiking (including scenic, but non-strenuous in case my Mom comes with us)? thanks, Tuggers!

I honestly still think you are better off in Lincoln. Easy access to Franconia Notch and all it has to offer. You can go to Mt Washington from there as well. Just easier all around- trails and roadways.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I honestly still think you are better off in Lincoln. Easy access to Franconia Notch and all it has to offer. You can go to Mt Washington from there as well. Just easier all around- trails and roadways.

Easy to daytrip to VT from Lincoln as well. Or a very do-able drive down to Concord or Manchester, NH for shopping/museums/planetarium. We stay south of Lincoln on I-93, and don't ever have trouble finding things to do with our 4 kiddos.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
thanks to all-I will try to get something near Lincoln. Thanks, again. Elaine

Reaction score
I now googled Samoset in Rockport, Maine and I love the pictures on TripAdvisor. It looks a little bit luxury, but when you are working all the year, you want your summer to be spend in the best possible way. I see that are a lot of activities nearby for teens and besides that the rooms look clean and tidy. My wife is freaking out when she spots a dirty place, so this resort looks like it can meet our family's requirements :) If there is something that I should know, I will be happy if you share your experience!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two cents' worth from a Samoset timeshare owner...

I now googled Samoset in Rockport, Maine and I love the pictures on TripAdvisor. It looks a little bit luxury, but when you are working all the year, you want your summer to be spend in the best possible way. I see that are a lot of activities nearby for teens and besides that the rooms look clean and tidy. My wife is freaking out when she spots a dirty place, so this resort looks like it can meet our family's requirements :) If there is something that I should know, I will be happy if you share your experience!

Keep in mind that Samoset Resort is a very large, multi-acre property with a hotel, health club, cottages, function rooms, 18 hole golf course and two restaurants.

Fwiw, the three timeshare buildings at Samoset Resort are actually just a relatively small part of the overall property. Each timeshare building contains 24 units, most (but not all) are 1BR units. There are only two 2BR units in buildings I and II, seven 2BR units in building III --- and no 3BR units at all. While the timeshare buildings and units are certainly clean and well maintained, there is nothing "luxury" about them. I doubt that Trip Advisor input offers much (if anything at all) regarding the Samoset timeshare buildings or units --- just to clearly distinguish between the Hotel and the timeshare buildings, which are completely unrelated to one another.

If you are considering renting at Samoset's Hotel (unrelated to timeshare buildings, except for the same check-in location), I suspect that you would be looking at some hefty prices in the summer months (and reservations required long in advance), but you have likely already seen those numbers during your Internet searching.

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will put an OGS for a 2 BR in for Samoset, but doubt I will get it for summer. I thought Conway looked like a good base to explore, but if tuggers say Lincoln is better, I'll go with that. We will rent hotels for 3 nights near Acadia, then move over to Lincoln for a week's stay. thanks, again. Elaine