• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trying to understand what my parents own in their timeshare

uncotran

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Hope you are all safe and healthy during this pandemic!

I'm completely new to the timeshare world, and am trying to understand it so that I can prepare it for giveaway or any other method of renouncing it.
Parents are >60 and no longer travelling. Money is an issue (one lost their job) and we can't keep paying these fees - they need their money for retirement. These timeshares have only been used once or twice since purchase.

So we have 2 original purchase agreements:
  • Calypso Cay (CC) purchased 2007: week 5, sapphire season 5. 3 bdr, odd biennial.
  • GeoHoliday purchased 2001: 105K points, biennial
I believe at the time the company managing CC was Interval International.
There is a document from 2015 that states they were changing over to RCI.
Now from a quick search on these forums I see that Capital Vacations has taken over.
How does this affect us?

We also have a login for Interval International, which shows Calypso Cay as our timeshare, with a "Float" week and "Float" unit type. This does not match the original agreement - any idea why?

Do you guys have any advice on how to even start the process of getting rid of these?

Your help is much appreciated!!

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some timeshares have a free deedback program. Contact Calypso Cay and see if they have such a program. If not, Calypso Cay is a Florida timeshare; they can only come after the timeshare. Stop paying the maintenance fees, ignore any contact from Calypso Cay or a collection agency, and let Calypso Cay foreclose.

Same with GeoHolidays. Stop paying maintenance fees, let GeoHolidays repossess the points, and take the possible minor credit score hit.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

• Calypso Cay (CC) purchased 2007: week 5, sapphire season 5. 3 bdr, odd biennial.
Now from a quick search on these forums I see that Capital Vacations has taken over.
How does this affect us?

We also have a login for Interval International, which shows Calypso Cay as our timeshare, with a "Float" week and "Float" unit type. This does not match the original agreement - any idea why?
Some feedback:
1. The company "managing CC was Interval". Actually Interval was most likely the the exchange company only. So they were not "managing" CC, just accepting deposits and exchanges for other owners.
2. Float week - - on your deed it will show a specific week. But that is just for deeding purposes and an easy way for authorities to make sure that they didn't sell the same unit more than once. It also shows what "season" you folks own. In many timeshares, there are seasons - - some are higher demand and some are lower. For instance, at Marriott Palm Desert I own a medium demand week (white) and that includes something like weeks 22-26 and 36 to 49. The high demand season is when it is cooler and the low demand weeks (27-35) are blisteringly hot. My deed says that I own week 39 or something.

So don't be overly concerned that the deed doesn't match the "float" season.

I'd suggest that you offer the timeshare for sale in the Free and Bargains section on Tug. I'm unfamiliar with your TS, but I suspect that they don't have much resale value. (If you are motivated, check ebay and redweek.com to see what sellers are asking). In your tug ad, provide as much info as you can like: # bedrooms, whether maintenance fees are current, annual MF, the season, first year of usage, whether the new owners will be able to book this year, who pays the closing costs (suggestion: use Legal Timeshare Transfer - - I've used them as well as other Tug members and was pleased. ). Also consider adding a stock photo of the TS - - anything that will help market it.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some timeshares have a free deedback program. Contact Calypso Cay and see if they have such a program. If not, Calypso Cay is a Florida timeshare; they can only come after the timeshare. Stop paying the maintenance fees, ignore any contact from Calypso Cay or a collection agency, and let Calypso Cay foreclose.

Same with GeoHolidays. Stop paying maintenance fees, let GeoHolidays repossess the points, and take the possible minor credit score hit.
I agree with the above. If Calypso Cay won't take it back, just stop paying on both. Ignore your conscience, all collection phone calls and letters. In time both will be gone...

George

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

I'm completely new to the timeshare world, and am trying to understand it so that I can prepare it for giveaway or any other method of renouncing it.
Parents are >60 and no longer travelling. Money is an issue (one lost their job) and we can't keep paying these fees - they need their money for retirement. These timeshares have only been used once or twice since purchase.

How does this affect us?

Do you guys have any advice on how to even start the process of getting rid of these?

Owners defaulting on maintenance fees on timeshares deeded in CA, FL, Maine, SC, WI, or CO get anti-deficiency protection, if they don’t object to the foreclosure. Anti-deficiency protection is when resorts can’t sue you for the foreclosure sale deficient balance.

if your parents make the hard decision to default, please kindly let us know if their credit got affected. It would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

How does this affect us?

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ute&URL=0700-0799/0721/Sections/0721.855.html http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0721/Sections/0721.856.html http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0000-0099/0095/0095.html
Operative Language: “If you do not object to the use of the trustee foreclosure procedure, you will not be subject to a deficiency judgment even if the proceeds from the sale of your timeshare interest are insufficient to offset the amounts secured by the lien.”
Operative Language: “WITHIN FIVE YEARS.— (b) A legal or equitable action on a contract, obligation, or liability founded on a written instrument . . . (c) An action to foreclose a mortgage.” Sec. 95-11.
Note: non-objection or inaction likely leads to non-judicial, anti-deficiency treatment; objection may waive non-judicial, anti- deficiency treatment. TS defaults have SOL of five years

uncotran

Reaction score

Thanks! I see this option being suggested many places and often thought about it myself.

Do you know how bad of a credit hit this would be?
Would it even matter for my parents in their 60s?

I also should have started with this - we live in Ontario Canada. Not sure if this affects anything.
We got pulled into one of those timeshare meetings during our vacation when they sold us into the thing (I was a toddler at the time).

uncotran

Reaction score
Some feedback:
1. The company "managing CC was Interval". Actually Interval was most likely the the exchange company only. So they were not "managing" CC, just accepting deposits and exchanges for other owners.
2. Float week - - on your deed it will show a specific week. But that is just for deeding purposes and an easy way for authorities to make sure that they didn't sell the same unit more than once. It also shows what "season" you folks own. In many timeshares, there are seasons - - some are higher demand and some are lower. For instance, at Marriott Palm Desert I own a medium demand week (white) and that includes something like weeks 22-26 and 36 to 49. The high demand season is when it is cooler and the low demand weeks (27-35) are blisteringly hot. My deed says that I own week 39 or something.

So don't be overly concerned that the deed doesn't match the "float" season.

I'd suggest that you offer the timeshare for sale in the Free and Bargains section on Tug. I'm unfamiliar with your TS, but I suspect that they don't have much resale value. (If you are motivated, check ebay and redweek.com to see what sellers are asking). In your tug ad, provide as much info as you can like: # bedrooms, whether maintenance fees are current, annual MF, the season, first year of usage, whether the new owners will be able to book this year, who pays the closing costs (suggestion: use Legal Timeshare Transfer - - I've used them as well as other Tug members and was pleased. ). Also consider adding a stock photo of the TS - - anything that will help market it.

I was looking into this! My thoughts were to get as much detail as possible, and that float week thing really threw me off.
So I'll just indicate the week that was listed in the agreement instead of the float week.

Any idea what week 5 sapphire season 5 means? I couldn't find this at all in my google search, as most TS seem to list the weeks as red/blue/white.

Will definitely consider Legal Timeshare Transfer!

uncotran

Reaction score
Owners defaulting on maintenance fees on timeshares deeded in CA, FL, Maine, SC, WI, or CO get anti-deficiency protection, if they don’t object to the foreclosure. Anti-deficiency protection is when resorts can’t sue you for the foreclosure sale deficient balance.

if your parents make the hard decision to default, please kindly let us know if their credit got affected. It would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.
Will certainly do so if we go this route.
Any idea how big the hit may be?
We could care less about the foreclosure.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@uncotran the hits have ranged from 50 pts (typically someone with average/decent credit) to 200 pts (typically someone with great credit).

If it helps, out of 10 TS defaults by Canadians reported on TUG, 0 got reported to the Canadian credit agencies. Check out the links below. One Canadian MF defaulter was told to me in confidence, so I cannot reveal that. Out of 1 TS defaults by English reported on TUG, 0 got reported to the English credit agencies.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/canadian-with-a-timeshare-in-florida.298837/#post-2367946

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@uncotran we hope you are well and healthy. If your parents made the difficult decision to default, please kindly let us know if their credit got affected. it would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.

uncotran

Reaction score
@uncotran we hope you are well and healthy. If your parents made the difficult decision to default, please kindly let us know if their credit got affected. it would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.

Thanks, I most certainly will! Although it will likely take another year or so before it gets to that situation.

Cheers

uncotran

Reaction score
@uncotran the hits have ranged from 50 pts (typically someone with average/decent credit) to 200 pts (typically someone with great credit).

If it helps, out of 10 TS defaults by Canadians reported on TUG, 0 got reported to the Canadian credit agencies. Check out the links below. One Canadian MF defaulter was told to me in confidence, so I cannot reveal that. Out of 1 TS defaults by English reported on TUG, 0 got reported to the English credit agencies.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/canadian-with-a-timeshare-in-florida.298837/#post-2367946
Thanks so much!! This was very helpful and influenced our decision.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
What are you going to do?