• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trying to rescind. Is Saturday a business day?? Please advise.

ravenna

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
elara - las vegas - HGVC
Bnoble:
Nahh, I am an eternal optimist! I think they will process it if I make a pain in the ass of myself, and invoke the specter of slooowwww lawsuits, and if I let the Liar QAM in Vegas know that I am badmouthing her to the Orlando bosses and may bring a class action suit down upon her head.

Don't puncture my bubble just yet :)

ravenna

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
elara - las vegas - HGVC
The news is good!!!!
(I think!!)

Whoo hoo!

HGVC's assistant to the Rescission Lady was kind/simple enough to give me his full name and direct phone number. So I called him again and asked him to find out why my reacission hadn't yet gone through. (I mentioned my lawyer in passing.)

THe Vegas sales office then called and we played phone tag (I mentioned "lawyer" again in the message to her).

And finally today we got to talk in person and she said she was working on the rescission - and it would go through by the end of the month.

So: yay!

(And I'll believe it for real when the first of the month comes, and Hilton doesn't hit my credit card for the mortgage payment. Until then, fingers crossed!.)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cool! They prolly decided that you were too big a PITA and they may as well let you go. You were never going to be a satisfied customer anyway. Congrats.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
great news!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
And I'll believe it for real when the first of the month comes, and Hilton doesn't hit my credit card for the mortgage payment.

You may want to cancel that card, or at least see if they'll block a pre-authorized charge.

ravenna

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
elara - las vegas - HGVC
@Talent312
Great idea, will do.
Thanks everyone.

And, as soon as I am confirmed to be safe, I will look into a resale purchase.

Last note: I spoke with an intake person at Finn Law Group a couple days ago. She was nice and professional and friendly. Just like TimeshareAnswers, she was eager to reinforce the notion that my timeshare was utterly worthless, that I could stay in the same properties for way less money and more convenience if I hadn't bought in, that I'd been exploited by mean ol' sharks who would fight tooth and nail to keep my money, and that her boss was great at his work. She pushed that theme hard enough to give me the impression she may get a commission for reeling in clients.

Regarding the law group's work, she said a deed-in-lieu is just one of several tools they employ. She said Hilton would eventually let me out of the contract because they don't want to be 'exposed' in their dirty dealing. She said the upfront fee charged to me would depend on my situation. From my brief description, she said that I would probably be charged approximately five thousand dollars.

I asked if that fee would come with any guarantee of success. She said that 'no lawyer could guarantee an outcome... but in all his years of doing this, Mr. Finn has never left a client dissatisfied."

I don't know what to make of that, but there it is.

Ocean eyes

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamonds resort/Hilton
Hello everyone.

I am in the process of trying to rescind or escape a new purchase. (HGVC; bought straight from Hilton because I am a fool.) I have already learned a lot and, for the benefit of other newbies, I will post on ongoing thread about my experiences to see if it helps anyone.

What I've learned thus far:

1. When a rescission period states you have X business days to rescind your purchase, this may include Saturday as a business day. (It's currently unclear to me. Under the Truth in Lending Act, which apparently governs a federally-mandated three-business-day rescission right, Saturday is a business day.) IOW, if you want to rescind, move fast!

2. The Orlando-based company "Timeshare Answers" seems very shady.

3. I am speaking to the Finn Law Group (they appear to be legit lawyers with a specialization in timeshares.) I will update you all on what they promise and what they cost.

4. Timeshare salespeople are very good at establishing rapport, talking fast, getting you to imagine the great new vacation-filled life that awaits you. They are also very sleazy and will say anything to earn their commission. THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND. Seriously... I don't know how I got sucked into buying a thing I never wanted.

Details of my situation: I heard the spiel in Vegas and bought 7000 points worth of the Elara, from Hilton GVC. I was not told of the rescission rule. I signed papers the closer purposely obscured from my view while pointing to the line for my signature and rushing along saying, "This is just a financial disclosure statement... this one just satisfies a Nevada state law about lender regulations... this is nothing important..." etc.

Nevada state law gives me five calendar days to rescind.

Oddly, however, the document I signed states that I have five BUSINESS days to rescind.
I signed on a Wednesday. I sent in my letter of rescission on a Wednesday. This is within the five-business-day window.

I mailed my certified letter on March 22. I have heard nothing back. The person I addressed my letter of rescission to is not answering my phone calls.

If Saturday is a business day for the purpose of rescission, then I was one day late in mailing it in. However, the document did not state that Saturday is a business day. (I am just worried that it is, because this is the rule that TILA uses.)

I stopped payment from American Express, explaining that I have rescinded the Hilton purchase. They canceled my charge of ten percent down (5300 dollars). However, AmEx says they reserve the right to reinstate it by August if Hilton convinces them to do so.

I just saw my own local lawyer. We have decided to sit tight while she investigates whether Hilton is going to honor the rescission letter. (Thirty days have passed since I sent it, and no word from Hilton. I have no idea if they plan to let me rescind or not.)

Our backup plan, if Hilton claims Saturday is a business day and thus fails to let me out of the contract, is to offer them the 5300 dollar downpayment in exchange for letting me off the hook.

Another potential backup plan is for me to go to court saying, "How is a layperson like me supposed to know that Saturday is a business day? This is deceitful. And deceitful sales are illegal under NV statute 119A, which governs timeshare law. Also, under TILA and Regulation Z, any deceit or failure to disclose stuff, automatically extends the TILA mandated rescission period from three business days to three years."

(Note: I am not actually sure TILA applies to me. Does anyone know?)

A third potential backup plan is for me to go with Finn Law Group, which is Florida-based. If they think I have a strong case, and if they are honest, they should take my case with minimal money upfront, as long as I promise them a percentage of recovered money.

Any feedback from experienced people here is welcome.

I will keep you all updated as the thing proceeds.

Oh - and don't get me started on Timeshare Answers.... lots of red flags, but the guy on the phone sounded very calm and reasonable until I wriggled off his hook by claiming I had changed my mind and planned to keep the timeshare. Then his tone changed completely; he became angry and abusive and basically started shouting that I was an idiot. Then he slammed down the phone in rage!
Could you let me know what happened with this and if you got out of it??? My husband and I just got scammed in Vegas too. We missed the cut off by one day because we found out my mother has cancer the day after and we were processing all of it.
A couple days went by and we sat and read through everything and realized what we bought and the lies we were told. We immediately wrote our rescind letter and sent it off. But we were 12 hours late. The past 4 days we have been researching and trying to email and call anyone we can. Any advice would be so appreciated!!! Thank you!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
post 52 indicated they allowed him to rescind yes.