• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trying to Purchase a Home in COVID-19 - Continually Lose Out, with Offers over Asking Price?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I always believed no mortgage but it is not always the best. This time I am taking a mortgage. Mortgage money is cheap And no need to have tax ramifications Immediately to cash out investments. I will take some each year to pay off the mortgage and keep tax liability down. Enough Assets are needed to retire, liquidity and no mortgage payments are not necessarily needed to be comfortable.

I want the liquidity so I will be able to move quickly when I retire. It works in my situation.
I agree with you also on the mortgage, not a big deal now with how cheap the money is.

Some things we were told when we were younger don’t always apply now, things change and everyone’s situation is different.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to give you an historical perspective. When I moved from St Louis to Dallas in September 1983 interest rates were through the roof. The "discounted" rate we got to finance our new home in Dallas was 15.14%. About 6 months ago the refi rate received by my Son when refinancing the mortgage on his house was 2.75%. Both of these are real and exact numbers...

George

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not sure where you are, but the same situation exists here in north florida. real estate is utterly booming. folks getting MULTIPLE full price offers within 24 to 48 hours...never seen anything like it before.

great time to sell! notsomuch to buy it appears though!

no doubt it is related to the crazy low interest rates on 30yr mortgages being offered! refinaning for a 15 or 20 in the 2.5% range is also appealing!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP: are you making your offers subject to the sale of your current home and a small mortgage? If so, that is most likely your issue, your offer comes with baggage, especially the sale of your home contingency since it is not on even on the market for sale yet. If you are looking to downsize, you are probably facing competing offers of cash and also also First Time Homebuyers that do not have to sell a home.

Will you have to pay above market for the next house, yes maybe right now. But, the house you sell may also be bought over market value. Creating "somewhat" of a wash for you. I think putting your house on the market now and accepting an offer contingent upon you finding suitable housing in the next 30 days may help. You get your house under agreement, you know how much you may get "over" market for yours, you have 30 days to find the next one. If you don't then you start all over again.

Will this find suitable housing scare a couple buyers. Maybe.....but probably less than you renting back.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Ohio is going crazy as well. Same day sells and over asking price

My cousin put her house up last weekend. Relater wanted $199,000 my cousin said let’s put $205,000
64 showings over the weekend and they excepted $245,000. Just passed appraisal.

With all that’s going on the bottom has to fall out with all the lost income. The Buck has to stop somewhere.

Dave

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I always believed no mortgage but it is not always the best. This time I am taking a mortgage. Mortgage money is cheap And no need to have tax ramifications Immediately to cash out investments. I will take some each year to pay off the mortgage and keep tax liability down. Enough Assets are needed to retire, liquidity and no mortgage payments are not necessarily needed to be comfortable.
That’s the big reason I’m taking a mortgage is the rates are so low, after crunching the numbers it makes the most sense. I’m a huge proponent of being debt free.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
That’s the big reason I’m taking a mortgage is the rates are so low, after crunching the numbers it makes the most sense. I’m a huge proponent of being debt free.
During my mortgage process from Bank of America, who I am not using, I was told because of time constraints, that I could pay cash and get the mortgage after closing. This could be an option for you.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We sold 3 duplexes in Feb and March. Our realtor had 2 buyers for 2 of the properties and never even listed them.
The realtor went thru them, gave us a price and then asked for a key so immediately he could show it. We got full price offers from those 2 duplexes. We live in a city of 45,000, small and not much going on in our area. Lol. We were shocked he just KNEW who was looking for what kind of property. We researched to find out which realtor had sold the most properties in the last year, and that’s how we selected him. Good Luck
We also last year researched who lists the most houses / condos in the areas we were interested in. We reached out to 3 top listing agents who were more interested in listing properties then showing buyers properties.
We selected one last year and he showed us 3 properties and since we did not make an offer on any those (they all looked great in the pictures but all had issues we were not willing to deal with )he passed us off to one of his agents that works under him, shewas just getting started in real estate. She could not find her way out of a paper bag and we went back to our original realtor who was willing to show us homes / condos and not walk away after 3 viewings.
I’m bummed because all of the top listing agents in my areas do not take on buyers

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow. I cannot believe you are still at this. Must be so frustrating! If I recall correctly you are selling your house to reduce expenses so that when you finally retire you can move to Florida.

What about moving into a rental? I have no clue what that market is like where you live but maybe that could be an option.

I know an issue with new construction is that, too, is very expensive.

I would have never thought we would still be at it as well, we have been looking since late last year and it's really worn me down...

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We also last year researched who lists the most houses / condos in the areas we were interested in. We reached out to 3 top listing agents who were more interested in listing properties then showing buyers properties.
We selected one last year and he showed us 3 properties and since we did not make an offer on any those (they all looked great in the pictures but all had issues we were not willing to deal with )he passed us off to one of his agents that works under him, shewas just getting started in real estate. She could not find her way out of a paper bag and we went back to our original realtor who was willing to show us homes / condos and not walk away after 3 viewings.
I’m bummed because all of the top listing agents in my areas do not take on buyers
You don’ need the agents that list the most. You want an agent that works at the same office of those that list the most. They will be be told about new ones.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would have never thought we would still be at it as well, we have been looking since late last year and it's really worn me down...

Does your financial planner have an alternate solution for you? Sometimes things have to be adjusted to work with reality.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
I know you said west metro Detroit, but have you considered moving up (North, NorthEast)? Chesterfield, Clinton Township, New Baltimore, Macomb? We have several sets of friends in that area who have nice neighborhoods and were able to buy at a decent price. I checked zillow and there are a fair few ranches and condos for sale in that area with water views. Might make your commute too crazy or not your favorite place, so ymmv.

DancingWaters

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two of our duplexes never got to the office. Once we showed the realtor the properties, he showed them within 30 minutes and full price offer came within an hour of showing them to the realtor. This realtor was working so fast that the other realtors never knew about them until they were sold. He saw them and immediately said he had a buyer, asked for the key and they were sold. It’s amazing how hot the housing market is right now and the younger generation don’t even blink an eye at the cost.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know you said west metro Detroit, but have you considered moving up (North, NorthEast)? Chesterfield, Clinton Township, New Baltimore, Macomb? We have several sets of friends in that area who have nice neighborhoods and were able to buy at a decent price. I checked zillow and there are a fair few ranches and condos for sale in that area with water views. Might make your commute too crazy or not your favorite place, so ymmv.

I work 10 hour days, sometimes more, since I'm part of the leadership team, as I have gotten older, I have decided that I want and need to spend time with my family each night. I have a 10 minute commute right now and want to keep the commute to 30 minutes or less....My middle son still lives with us and commutes to New Baltimore every day and works only 8 hours and I get home each day before he does with his long commute and traffic

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My realtor told me when we pulled out of purchasing a new home in February that this would happen. I am still glad we pulled out even though we lost a $56K deposit. We no longer would have needed that home since now we are not planning to return to Santa Clara County. We are planning to live up here in Placer County indefinitely. The owner was the winner because he was able to live off our deposit and sell the home to someone else.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My realtor told me when we pulled out of purchasing a new home in February that this would happen. I am still glad we pulled out even though we lost a $56K deposit. We no longer would have needed that home since now we are not planning to return to Santa Clara County. We are planning to live up here in Placer County indefinitely. The owner was the winner because he was able to live off our deposit and sell the home to someone else.
I’m so sorry you lost that deposit money.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I’m so sorry you lost that deposit money.

Thank you. It hurt at first but now I am over it. Much better than purchasing a home during a pandemic that we may not need any more. The thing that really bothered me at the time was the day before we signed off on contingencies, I told my husband and the realtor that I was too anxious to move forward with the purchase due to the pandemic. Against my gut, I signed anyway and changed my mind the next day. We lost our deposit by one day.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Thank you. It hurt at first but now I am over it. Much better than purchasing a home during a pandemic that we may not need any more. The thing that really bothered me at the time was the day before we signed off on contingencies, I told my husband and the realtor that I was too anxious to move forward with the purchase due to the pandemic. Against my gut, I signed anyway and changed my mind the next day. We lost our deposit by one day.

Sorry you lost your deposit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@Sugarcubesea I can completely understand your frustration with all of this. The market is definitely pretty volatile right now.

My recent experience with selling my Washington home may provide thoughts on things.

As you have, as a homeowner, I put the money and labor into fixing up my house to make it all it could be, and to make it market-ready. I've bought and sold enough houses in my life, and my Mom sold real estate for years, so I've learned what kind of things needed to be done to get the most bang for the buck when selling. I didn't want a nickel-dime list of fixes a prospective buyer would want. I wanted the house to speak for itself, and be as-is, where-is, and have that be something very nice, and worth owning. By the time it hit the market, the house was absolutely ready.

When I finally listed my house for sale the first week of July, the market in my town was very, very tight. We listed for $25K above what our agents felt was an historically good price, based on what things had been selling for. But I saw it as something greater than that - there was a real shortage of good homes for sale in my bracket (3br, 2.5ba, 2 car garage, single family home, on a great lot, in a great neighborhood.) City-wide, there were only a few homes like that for sale at that time. Looking at sales prices, and condition of those properties, I felt we could get more, if we pushed the numbers a little. My suggested list price of $25K higher than the agent suggested was met with a raised eyebrow, but I said we'd find out quickly if we were too high. We weren't.

We knew there would be a lot of interest, but we didn't understand how much interest there would be. Because of Covid-19, everything about buying and selling was different. Sales prices were higher than they'd ever been in our area. Good houses were selling very fast. There was no such thing as an Open House. It was a matter of making the most with a first impression through the listing info, and stepping back to let the people in. That's exactly what happened.

As I've posted elsewhere, we had nine showings the very first day on the market. Over that night we received five offers to buy - two at list price, and three at above list price. We had a time constraint, and needed to sell quickly, so didn't want to waste time trying to create a bidding war. We felt we were already asking above the market comps, but those comps were sales during the height of the Covid-19 lockdown, so the sales numbers were all over the place.

We got with our agent and laid out the five offers side by side, and compared them. One at list price was an FHA loan, and wanted us to pay their closing costs. We set that one aside right away. The other at list price would have been good enough in normal times, (minimum down payment, conventional loan, no contingencies to sell another house), but the other three offers quickly outweighed that one, too.

Of the three above-asking, all were the same initial amount, ($5K over our asking price) so they were essentially equal. Two were pretty much the same, and followed the usual financial numbers. The clear winner was the one where the buyer said they were willing to go as high as $25K over our asking, in $3K increments, to be competitive with any other offer. My agent explained that their initial offer was the $5K over asking, but if that wasn't high enough, they'd go $3K over that number, and then another $3K, and then another $3K, until they were the high bidder, up to the $25K over asking. That was obviously a pretty strong offer.

What made it the clear winner was the buyers themselves. Not only were they willing to pay more to get the house, they were putting 80% down, and they had no contingencies. That was the offer we accepted. The way the numbers settled out, they only paid $3K above their initial offer, which put them above the other offers. Because of their strength financially, we felt trying to get the other two offers to come up to beat them would only end up with the other buyers pulling out. So we asked for the first $3K bump, and accepted their offer, which ended at $8K over our asking price. This proved to be a smart choice as the escrow flew through things, and there were no surprises. We're comfortable we made the right choice.

Two of the offers contained letters to us, basically saying how hard the buyers had been trying to find a house to buy, and why we should sell to them. One of them said they'd been trying to buy for over six months, and how they had lost out on a number of homes. Those letters were with the two lower offers. While I understood the reasons for the letters, the buyers didn't have the financial strength of the other offers, so it wouldn't have made good sense to accept either of those offers. The offer we accepted made the most sense from a business perspective.

I hope I'm not oversharing, but I'm offering this information to give you some food for thought about what a Seller in this market thinks about. For us it wasn't so much about the final selling price as it was the strength of the Buyer, and their offer. We accepted the offer from the Buyer we felt was the strongest, and who had the best chance of completing an escrow. It also happened to be the highest number. The ending number was only $3K above two other offers, but it was enough. If all the offers had been at list price, that Buyer is still the one we'd have chosen.

I wish I had an answer for you about how to successfully bid on a home. Maybe it would be enough to do as our successful Buyer did, and writing the offer to automatically outbid other offers, up to a number you're willing to spend. If you pick a maximum number you're willing to spend on that home, and write the offer accordingly, it may be enough. Not sure, but it's something to consider.

A comment upthread was made about homes selling for more that they might appraise for. In our case, the Buyer had agreed that if the sales price was above the appraised amount for the home, they'd pay the difference directly. That way we were guaranteed to receive the asking/sales price, even if it was above appraised value. That was a nice thing to have in our back pocket, even though we didn't need it, and another reason why we chose that Buyer. The house appraised for the agreed sales amount, so it wasn't needed to go that route.

Wishing you good luck going forward. I hope you can find a home that suits you. I think the suggestion to rent something for now, and buy later may be a good way to go. As @slip says, there is an advantage to liquidity.

Dave

Last edited:

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
I an a Realtor and I am seeing exactly the strategy @DaveNV posted above winning bidding wars. Speak with your agent about adding an escalation clause and waiving the appraisal.

Most important is to get your home listed and sold while you can reap the benefits of a Seller’s market.

Maria

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

It’s always that little inner voice we need to pay attention to. I do this a lot as well- my head takes over my heart and it doesn’t always turn out well.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Sugarcubesea I can completely understand your frustration with all of this. The market is definitely pretty volatile right now.

My recent experience with selling my Washington home may provide thoughts on things.

As you have, as a homeowner, I put the money and labor into fixing up my house to make it all it could be, and to make it market-ready. I've bought and sold enough houses in my life, and my Mom sold real estate for years, so I've learned what kind of things needed to be done to get the most bang for the buck when selling. I didn't want a nickel-dime list of fixes a prospective buyer would want. I wanted the house to speak for itself, and be as-is, where-is, and have that be something very nice, and worth owning. By the time it hit the market, the house was absolutely ready.

When I finally listed my house for sale the first week of July, the market in my town was very, very tight. We listed for $25K above what our agents felt was an historically good price, based on what things had been selling for. But I saw it as something greater than that - there was a real shortage of good homes for sale in my bracket (3br, 2.5ba, 2 car garage, single family home, on a great lot, in a great neighborhood.) City-wide, there were only a few homes like that for sale at that time. Looking at sales prices, and condition of those properties, I felt we could get more, if we pushed the numbers a little. My suggested list price of $25K higher than the agent suggested was met with a raised eyebrow, but I said we'd find out quickly if we were too high. We weren't.

We knew there would be a lot of interest, but we didn't understand how much interest there would be. Because of Covid-19, everything about buying and selling was different. Sales prices were higher than they'd ever been in our area. Good houses were selling very fast. There was no such thing as an Open House. It was a matter of making the most with a first impression through the listing info, and stepping back to let the people in. That's exactly what happened.

As I've posted elsewhere, we had nine showings the very first day on the market. Over that night we received five offers to buy - two at list price, and three at above list price. We had a time constraint, and needed to sell quickly, so didn't want to waste time trying to create a bidding war. We felt we were already asking above the market comps, but those comps were sales during the height of the Covid-19 lockdown, so the sales numbers were all over the place.

We got with our agent and laid out the five offers side by side, and compared them. One at list price was an FHA loan, and wanted us to pay their closing costs. We set that one aside right away. The other at list price would have been good enough in normal times, (minimum down payment, conventional loan, no contingencies to sell another house), but the other three offers quickly outweighed that one, too.

Of the three above-asking, all were the same initial amount, ($5K over our asking price) so they were essentially equal. Two were pretty much the same, and followed the usual financial numbers. The clear winner was the one where the buyer said they were willing to go as high as $25K over our asking, in $3K increments, to be competitive with any other offer. My agent explained that their initial offer was the $5K over asking, but if that wasn't high enough, they'd go $3K over that number, and then another $3K, and then another $3K, until they were the high bidder, up to the $25K over asking. That was obviously a pretty strong offer.

What made it the clear winner was the buyers themselves. Not only were they willing to pay more to get the house, they were putting 80% down, and they had no contingencies. That was the offer we accepted. The way the numbers settled out, they only paid $3K above their initial offer, which put them above the other offers. Because of their strength financially, we felt trying to get the other two offers to come up to beat them would only end up with the other buyers pulling out. So we asked for the first $3K bump, and accepted their offer, which ended at $8K over our asking price. This proved to be a smart choice as the escrow flew through things, and there were no surprises. We're comfortable we made the right choice.

Two of the offers contained letters to us, basically saying how hard the buyers had been trying to find a house to buy, and why we should sell to them. One of them said they'd been trying to buy for over six months, and how they had lost out on a number of homes. Those letters were with the two lower offers. While I understood the reasons for the letters, the buyers didn't have the financial strength of the other offers, so it wouldn't have made good sense to accept either of those offers. The offer we accepted made the most sense from a business perspective.

I hope I'm not oversharing, but I'm offering this information to give you some food for thought about what a Seller in this market thinks about. For us it wasn't so much about the final selling price as it was the strength of the Buyer, and their offer. We accepted the offer from the Buyer we felt was the strongest, and who had the best chance of completing an escrow. It also happened to be the highest number. The ending number was only $3K above two other offers, but it was enough. If all the offers had been at list price, that Buyer is still the one we'd have chosen.

I wish I had an answer for you about how to successfully bid on a home. Maybe it would be enough to do as our successful Buyer did, and writing the offer to automatically outbid other offers, up to a number you're willing to spend. If you pick a maximum number you're willing to spend on that home, and write the offer accordingly, it may be enough. Not sure, but it's something to consider.

A comment upthread was made about homes selling for more that they might appraise for. In our case, the Buyer had agreed that if the sales price was above the appraised amount for the home, they'd pay the difference directly. That way we were guaranteed to receive the asking/sales price, even if it was above appraised value. That was a nice thing to have in our back pocket, even though we didn't need it, and another reason why we chose that Buyer. The house appraised for the agreed sales amount, so it wasn't needed to go that route.

Wishing you good luck going forward. I hope you can find a home that suits you. I think the suggestion to rent something for now, and buy later may be a good way to go. As @slip says, there is an advantage to liquidity.

Dave
Dave,

I really appreciate your insight. I’m hoping we can get the house listed after the carpeting gets completed next week. I’m going to list it a bit higher since all the homes in my sub have sold for over asking price and sold within days of listing