• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trying to help my Mom with selling a Williamsburg Plantation Timeshare...

JJohnsonx21s

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Williamsburg Plantation
Looking to help my Mom sell her Williamsburg Plantation Timeshare. It is week 16, usually around mid to end of April. The unit numbers are 295A and 295B side A has a full kitchen and side B has a limited kitchen. The maintenance fee is about $409. We were told that it was worth anywhere from $15,000- $18,000. Not sure if that is accurate or not. Just trying to help my mom sell this thing. Any advice would greatly be appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Jeremiah Johnson

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I suspect that Williamsburg Plantation is worth $0 (zero) to (at most) a few grand.
There are several advertised on Redweek and comments regarding 'deed-backs' here on the forum.

My advice: attempt to deed the unit back to the HOA/Resort, I think the fee is currently $250, but not sure.
Please please don't believe the hucksters at SMTN and others: They will promise you a sales price of $xx,xxx dollars and ask for money up front $$$. That's money you'll never get back....and a sale is highly unlikely at more than a few grand in any case.

cheers.

Others will pitch in, I'm sure.

JJohnsonx21s

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Williamsburg Plantation
Thank you for the info. I figured this was going to be a rough go. That is why I am trying to do my research to help her. I refuse to pay anyone anything up front. I think at this point she just wants to get something back in return. She knows she will not get anywhere near what she was told it was worth.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thank you for the info. I figured this was going to be a rough go. That is why I am trying to do my research to help her. I refuse to pay anyone anything up front. I think at this point she just wants to get something back in return. She knows she will not get anywhere near what she was told it was worth.

deed it back (if possible) and then take the MF's you'll save and wrap them up in a pretty bow and stick a card: happy no-more-timeshare day. Sorry, it's definitely a 'cutting losses' kind of thing.
There is a poster on tug that inquired about deed-backs. Think that might be easiest....

Deedback to Williamsburg Plantation

JJohnsonx21s

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Williamsburg Plantation
What do you guys think of the site Redweek?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
TUG and Redweek both have excellent venues for selling (or giving away) a timeshare.

If you'll check the TUG FAQ on selling your timeshare....I think you'll find some excellent suggestions.

Read here (how to sell): http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/how-to-sell-your-timeshare.html

Tug vs Redweek mainly comes down to $$$

Can't hurt to give it a shot. Just be careful. Posting in either/both sites will likely draw some scavengers down from the trees.
Recommend you read the FAQ above about selling and consider ways to protect and insulate your Mom from those who might try to take advantage of her.....

JJohnsonx21s

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Williamsburg Plantation
Thank you! I will make sure I do my research. Anyone ever have success with ebay?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately none of the sites you mention are going to change the value of the timeshare your mother is trying to sell. (or in this case, give away).

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I own a couple units there. Deeded summer weeks sell for under $500 including all closing costs and transfer fees- so maybe $150-$200 for the seller. Floating 1-52 weeks usually sell for $0 out of pocket to the buyer with the old owner paying closing costs and transfer fees (about $300-$400 out of pocket to the seller). If the seller has a good summer week reserved they may get someone to split the closing costs. Non summer weeks usually sell for $0 with the seller paying the closing and transfer costs and either giving one year's worth of usage free to the new owner or giving some kind of small cash incentive to the new owner ($100-$300).

These are ebay prices and you might be able to get a little more advertising through red week and/or TUG but the time taken to sell will still be less than $1000 and it might take a year or two or more to sell for more and you will have to pay MF in the mean time. If you can do a deed back for even for $250 that will be your quickest/easiest out.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the site Redweek?

RedWeek, like TUG, is a great site for advertising rental or sale of timeshares (paid RW membership required first, then additional fees to advertise on RW).

However, the hard fact you need to accept is that (regardless of the irrelevant, original purchase price) no advertising venue is going to somehow create or impart resale market value that is simply just not there. TUG Brian has already capably articulated that important fact in post #9 above.

I don't know Williamsburg Plantation or its' position or policy on "deedbacks", but if in your shoes I know that I would look into that possibility first as the most expedient, lawful (and maybe even the cheapest) way "out", if deedbacks are accepted there. I've seen unconfirmed reference to a $250 deedback charge there in this thread. If accurate, that's about the lowest I've ever seen. Personally, I would already be reaching for my checkbook. YMMV. :shrug:

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'm assuming that the above referenced $250 (YMMV) was for a unit fully paid up. I saw much higher fees for a unit not paid/later in the use year.

As other's have pointed out: Selling will be a longer, more painful operation. I'm guessing you'll be the brunt of most of that. Consider the options carefully......

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome Jeremiah:
You're doing a kind thing by helping your mother with this problem.
First, contact the resort to see if they will take it back for the small fee.
Otherwise, you will need to give it away, and pay the transfer fees, and possibly even the coming year's maintenance fee, thereby giving the buyer a free week next year.

There are several timeshares in Williamsburg. I searched and found the following currently on ebay in the timeshares for sale category. I presume some of them are similar to what your mother owns.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Timeshares-for-Sale/15897/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=williamsburg+plantation

Good Luck, and get rid of it ASAP.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I refuse to pay anyone anything up front.

Very smart. That's the first rule to follow when trying to sell, give away, or rent out a TS.

The other thing I would caution you and your mother about is her expectations of getting money in return. As others have emphatically pointed out, what your mom owns is worth very little (perhaps zero) on the resale market. If she is stubbornly expecting to get thousands of dollars in return, then she is setting herself up to be taken in by opportunistic swindlers.

Hopefully your mom can follow the advice that others have clearly pointed out here so that she can get rid of her TS in as quick, painless, and economical way as possible.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to echo tschwa2. I am also familiar with this property and his estimates are spot on. The unit needs to be given away touting the exchange value. This is a $0 value unit to sell or giveaway but someone taking it can get good value trading.

Expecting to sell for hundreds or thousands will never happen unless you can somehow set up a sales presentation next to the resort.:cool:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Looking to help my Mom sell her Williamsburg Plantation Timeshare. It is week 16, usually around mid to end of April. The unit numbers are 295A and 295B side A has a full kitchen and side B has a limited kitchen. The maintenance fee is about $409. We were told that it was worth anywhere from $15,000- $18,000. Not sure if that is accurate or not. Just trying to help my mom sell this thing. Any advice would greatly be appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Jeremiah Johnson

A thought .

Dear JJ ,
I believe what your mom owns gives decent TPU's in RCI for the MF cost when deposited as 2 units .
Since your mom is likely giving it away for $ 0 : you may wish to explore options of how your family can get some use value out of her ownership
and the "sunk money" used to buy it .

TUG is a great forum for learning how to use better and get great vacation enjoyment .
If you and she decide to give it away later on , at least the family had additional use value .

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
.....And you could give your Mom a few hundred $$$ for it, making her feel better. :doh:

I warned you.....this is path carefully trodden....

cheers.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Week 16 is spring break in Virginia you might can rent this week between $200 - $300 for a week. Sounds liked she own a two (2) bedroom lockout unit.
Good luck.

1963Volvo

Reaction score
I have a Williamsburg Plantation Time Share. It's fully paid off and the maintenance fee is paid for 2020. I would love to Deed it back to the resort and be done with it. We just don't use it. Anyone have any luck with the deed back program? Any information would be appreciated.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I have a Williamsburg Plantation Time Share. It's fully paid off and the maintenance fee is paid for 2020. I would love to Deed it back to the resort and be done with it. We just don't use it. Anyone have any luck with the deed back program? Any information would be appreciated.
I don’t think Vacation Village has a deed back program. Good luck though!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's fully paid off and the maintenance fee is paid for 2020. I would love to Deed it back to the resort and be done with it. We just don't use it. Anyone have any luck with the deed back program? Any information would be appreciated.

I would agree with what Grammar Hero said. Since it's paid for and you've paid the 2020 fees, the resort might take it back if you ask. Make sure you get in contact with the Homeowners' Association and not just a front desk clerk. You might even offer to pay the closing costs. Mention that you will not be paying any more in MFs so it would be in everybody's best interests for the HOA to take it back rather than letting it go into foreclosure.

Also, since the MFs are already paid, you can try listing it in TUG's Bargain Deals section that you want to give it away.

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did a deedback to Williamsburg Plantation a few years ago - I would definitely give them a call and see if they still have a deedback program.