• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

trying to get scam refund from credit card

Reaction score
i fell for the money up front deal. within the 30 days, i called my credit card company (bank of america) and made an official dispute. the dispute is still ongoing, but it doesnt appear that i will win since the timeshare resale companies contract says that you have to request a refund in writing within 7days. i did write a letter and apparently "it wasnt recieved". yeah right.

i thought they were supposed to be no hassle guarentee on the credit cards.

any advice??

thanks.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you haven't already done so, I would send a copy of your letter, and any sort of "return receipt" you received (assuming you sent your letter via certified mail) to your credit card company. That would help with your dispute.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
In order for the credit card company to help you need to show that you were scammed. If it is just the case of the timeshare company not selling your unit then it will be tough for the credit card company to help.

What exactly are the details of how you were scammed?

Reaction score
details

on 10-11-06, i signed up for GT to sell my timeshare. the contarct states "property owner pays a one-time, non-recurring and non-refundable advertising fee".
on 10-22-08, brian davis called and said he had a buyer. he said there would be a $1950 fee for closing costs. he said he was going to transfer me to the verification dept and i was to tell them that no one told me that they had a buyer because its against fcc and ftc regulations and he could go to jail. i did the verification thing. i recieved the same contract that i recieved in 2006. they put the $1950 toward another advertising fee. i called and spoke with julie o'neil and she said there shouldnt be any other fees. i tried to call brian back several times and sent a letter stating i wanted a refund. no one will return my calls.

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the credit card company will be of help in this case. It really does sound like a scam that went on and on. I would also contact the Attorney General's office in your state as well.

Here are the details of the Fair Credit Billing Act which covers purchases made with a credit card.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre16.shtm

Reaction score
i filed a complaint with the ftc and bbb today.

i would think that it would be a "no brainer" too. but i called BOA today to ask for an update. she said that she read on the contract about the 7 day refund policy. i said i mailed a letter but have no proof. i also told her that the contract says one time fee. and i also told her that when i recieved their contract in the mail, i did not sign it or return it. so its not binding on my end. she just said that we have to check with the resale company and it could go back and forth for a few months. she didnt sound hopeful.

and yes it should have been a no brainer for me in the first place, but hearing that i could sell it, distracted me from seeing the truth.

Last edited:

gmarine

TUG Member
Reaction score
There will be a problem with the original payment in 2006 because it falls outside the time limit of the Fair Credit Billing Act but the recent charge should be reversed by the CC company. Good luck.

Reaction score
im not disputing the 2006 charge. although i wish i could. im just mentioning it because that contract states a one time fee. which i want to use against the 2008 dispute.

missdaisy10

Reaction score
Good Luck!

I tried to dispute my Belaire Vacation Club Puerto Vallarta (now there's a scam) charges through Chase Bankcard Services. My dispute was based on them not completing their building by the date promised (still not close to being completed-probably never will be) and not providing us with the promised trades on The Registry Collection. They initially credited me back for all charges I had incurred to date then reversed the credits six months later because the "promises were not in the original contract" though I had them in numerous emails in the months following. Lies...Lies...Lies but it did not make any difference to the credit card company.

Your card company dosn't really want you to win since it subtracts from the revenue they make on the transaction. Plus, they don't really want to have to deal with written contracts. They will protect you when a piece of merchandise is not delivered or is not what you ordered but good luck. Maybe you will do better than i did