• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trying to buy MVC resale points and have gotten Rofr'd twice...

McMinnie

Reaction score
Is there some trick to buying resale points? We are members already, is Marriott not allowing us to purchase a resale or is this just random. Any thoughts?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Have you added your ROFR to ROFR.net? What kind of prices were you buying these for? Marriott seems in need of inventory and this is the cheapest way for them to get it.

McMinnie

Reaction score
Have you added your ROFR to ROFR.net? What kind of prices were you buying these for? Marriott seems in need of inventory and this is the cheapest way for them to get it.
What is Rofr.net? We paid less than a dollar per point.

McMinnie

Reaction score
At what price point were they ROFR'd?

seems the reports lately are that $4/pt will certainly pass and anything below $3.50 will certainly fail.
Oh, that helps, we were paying less than $1 per point

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score

Its a database where people can self report what they were trying to purchase and if it passed or failed ROFR. It helps others figure out the sweet spots of what to pay for re-sale purchases. And helps us track as the prices change over time.

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, twice!
OK, thanks, so as you see from the ROFR data you have been bidding too low, so you need to try to edge the bid up to see how it goes. There's no way to know if MVC will exercise at a specific level or not, so you just need to keep going to get the best deal. You might get lucky at $1, you might need to go to over $4

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
www.rofr.net is a website/database that you can use to look at past reports of ROFR for resale Marriott weeks and points. It also helps others if you log your ROFR reports so they can know what is passing and failing.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, twice!

I'm sure the folks who own the points were very grateful for your offer as your offer was matched by Marriott and the owners got cash and now rid of their points!

Currently, it appears $3.50 or higher is needed to buy resale points. You're just wasting your time and spinning your wheels with any offer that is less than that.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the folks who own the points were very grateful for your offer as your offer was matched by Marriott and the owners got cash and now rid of their points!

Currently, it appears $3.50 or higher is needed to buy resale points. You're just wasting your time and spinning your wheels with any offer that is less than that.

But doesn't that mean MVC paid the sellers $1 a point, whereas they would have gotten much more with a better offer?
Or is that not how it works?
I’m surprised the seller even accepted $1.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
But doesn't that mean MVC paid the sellers $1 a point, whereas they would have gotten much more with a better offer?

The market is FLOODED with resale points. Most sellers want to get out and will accept selling for their asking price just to unload them......

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
Wonder if they will run out of budget and let some of them pass at the end of the year?

McMinnie

Reaction score
www.rofr.net is a website/database that you can use to look at past reports of ROFR for resale Marriott weeks and points. It also helps others if you log your ROFR reports so they can know what is passing and failing.
Yes, thanks for that info--I will do that!

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Many of the points on Ebay are from those companies that set up seminars at your local Red Lobster (if you still have one) or other restaurant to convince people to fork over a bunch of cash to get rid of them.

TolmiePeak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waiohai Beach Club

Yes I'm curious too. How does this work? Will MVC just pay the seller $1 a point then? Or is the transaction just canceled?

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes I'm curious too. How does this work? Will MVC just pay the seller $1 a point then? Or is the transaction just canceled?
It could go both ways. In most cases MVC pays the $1 per point. It is possible the seller backs out but I would say that is rare.

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
When the ROFR is a "fail" - it means that MVC steps into the buyer's shoes in the contract. So, yes, unless the seller backs out, MVC will pay the seller the agreed upon contract price. If the buyer is willing to take $1/point from a third party, then they'll get the $1/point from MVC instead. As dioxide45 said, those sales are most likely being done by folks who scammed owners into paying the broker a big fee to dump the ownership. The scammer doesn't care who buys the points, they just want to get the ownership transferred before MFs are due. So, they dangle them extremely cheap, get someone like the OP to enter into a contract to purchase, and they know MVC will indeed exercise the ROFR because they don't want points out there for $1/each. Voila - the "broker" (aka scammer who got a big chunk of change upfront from the owner) has successfully dumped the points.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
The resale market shows that MVC points are nearly worthless. If you own points and can only rent them for maintenance fees that means they are objectively worth zero. And the points are often rented below maintenance fees, which makes owning them a liability which is worth below zero - that's the reason many are unloading them. I don't understand why anyone would want to buy MVC points at the moment.

McMinnie

Reaction score
When the ROFR is a "fail" - it means that MVC steps into the buyer's shoes in the contract. So, yes, unless the seller backs out, MVC will pay the seller the agreed upon contract price. If the buyer is willing to take $1/point from a third party, then they'll get the $1/point from MVC instead. As dioxide45 said, those sales are most likely being done by folks who scammed owners into paying the broker a big fee to dump the ownership. The scammer doesn't care who buys the points, they just want to get the ownership transferred before MFs are due. So, they dangle them extremely cheap, get someone like the OP to enter into a contract to purchase, and they know MVC will indeed exercise the ROFR because they don't want points out there for $1/each. Voila - the "broker" (aka scammer who got a big chunk of change upfront from the owner) has successfully dumped the points.
Is it really a "scam"? It sounds like it is very difficult to get rid of these points and the broker did accomplish what the previous owners were looking for. It looks like the contracts we entered into were from people who inherited their points and don't want them and can't give them back to MVC.

McMinnie

Reaction score
The resale market shows that MVC points are nearly worthless. If you own points and can only rent them for maintenance fees that means they are objectively worth zero. And the points are often rented below maintenance fees, which makes owning them a liability which is worth below zero - that's the reason many are unloading them. I don't understand why anyone would want to buy MVC points at the moment.
I agree completely except we like having a few thousand points for vacations in areas that it would cost more than the maintenance fees, BUT it is not cost effective to buy these points at top dollar--that's why I want to buy a resale. But, it may be best to just rent points if I have to pay 3-4 dollars a point in the resale market.