• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Truth About Westgate Resorts in Orlando

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am actually a Sheraton Owner but travel to Orlando frequently. I have noticed there are almost always Interval International getaways at Westgate resorts available. Interval lists the resorts as gold crown but when you read the tripadvisor reviews, some of them are extremely damning about the cleanliness and quality of the villas at the resorts while other reviews are glowing.
I know one has to be careful with tripadvisor reviews as they are subjective but there are enough commonalities in some of them to make a person wonder how Westgate resorts can rate a gold crown rating with II. My question is where does the truth lie in all of these reviews particularly where Westgate Lakes is concerned.

Rocy317

Reaction score
We have stayed at WG Lakes 3 times and WG Towne Center once.
Our Villas have always been spotless. The last stay at the Lakes, in one of the older buildings, it was looking a little worn, but it wasn't bad.
The few maintenance issues we had (leaking coffee maker, oven that wouldn't broil) were rectified immediately by bringing in brand-new, still in the box appliances.
The common areas are so-so. Nothing to really complain about, but nothing to rave about either. Pools are decent. Mini-golf is ok, but they don't do a good job of keeping debris off the green. The paddle boats are a little worn, but they work.
The elevators and outdoor breezeways could use a good cleaning and re-fresh.

IMO, the big problem with WG is that the sales people will pester the life out of you trying to get you to come to a presentation. Some of what you are reading could be that people are so darned angry about the sales staff that the whole resort is tainted.

If you want to try it, my suggestion would be don't go to a presentation, no matter what they offer you. Do not go to the free breakfast. Do not go up to the second floor of the main bldg, anyone trying to get you up there is trying to trap you into a hard-core sales presentation. Only show your ID when you check-in or at Bell Services if you need to use their service to store your luggage. The Sales Weasels sometimes disguise themselves as Concierge (not the same as the people at the VIP desk where you can buy event/park tickets), one of the tactics is asking to see your ID, then they hold onto it. It's like they are holding it hostage so you have to listen to them. They are very sneaky, the best way I have found to spot them when they are trying a Plan B approach is they want your ID, and they want to take you upstairs.

Bell Services will take you to your room and explain where the pools, etc are. Anything you need to know about the resort, ask Bell Services, they are very helpful and all they want is a tip.

Our last stay at the Lakes, they weren't nearly so bad. Not sure why it was different this time. I still don't trust them.

(ETA: WG Towne Center is newer and the unit was nicer. The one stay in the new section of WG Lakes the unit was very nice. The 2 stays in the older section of WG Lakes, the Villas were fine, just not as nice as the others. The repeat stays at WG Lakes were because of the Convenience to SeaWorld and Universal)

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Warding Off WestGate Timeshare Sellers.

IMO, the big problem with WG is that the sales people will pester the life out of you trying to get you to come to a presentation. Some of what you are reading could be that people are so darned angry about the sales staff that the whole resort is tainted.
The late John Chase, who taught me everything I know about timeshares & timesharing, came up with an effective way of keeping WestGate timeshare sellers at arm's length.

At check-in, he signed up to attend a sales presentation on the last day of his scheduled WestGate timeshare stay. But instead of showing up, he checked out & left (because it was his check-out day at the resort anyway).

When the timeshare sellers called, he didn't answer because he was gone.

When they knocked on the condo door, nobody was there.

Worked every time, John said.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Rocy317

Reaction score
The late John Chase, who taught me everything I know about timeshares & timesharing, came up with an effective way of keeping WestGate timeshare sellers at arm's length.

At check-in, he signed up to attend a sales presentation on the last day of his scheduled WestGate timeshare stay. But instead of showing up, he checked out & left (because it was his check-out day at the resort anyway).

When the timeshare sellers called, he didn't answer because he was gone.

When they knocked on the condo door, nobody was there.

Worked every time, John said.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

:rofl::rofl::rofl: