• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trust points

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did Encore presentation at Crystal Shores today so to get us to presidential we were offered point price $14.26 which was the price last July when we bought the 4 night encore package. So 1500 points for $19,795 which incl deduction $1595 encore package cost. Offered 1500 VCP straight to our account valid 2 years.
We also got 50,000 Bonvoy points as part of the Encore package.

We were told this is the last time we can buy so few points as minimum going forwards will be 3000.

Also need to own trust points as trust owners will be given priority over enrolled owners for future bookings.

Also they're going to focus on Westin and Hyatt owners rather than Marriott owners and if these owners buy VC points they'll get priority over us.

Am sure this is all sales tactics to get us to buy today ( which we didn't). I would like to be presidential and for us to have titanium status, third home option, 18 month banking etc but am sure can achieve all this with resale trust points???

She kept saying our portfolio of 8725 DC points would cost over $120,000 so Marriott
has to be fair to new owners shelling out so much!! She made me feel like a poor relative!!

Thoughts fellow tigers?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Pretty much every sales tactic in the book to get you to buy.... the only thing lacking is the truth.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Did Encore presentation at Crystal Shores today so to get us to presidential we were offered point price $14.26 which was the price last July when we bought the 4 night encore package. So 1500 points for $19,795 which incl deduction $1595 encore package cost. Offered 1500 VCP straight to our account valid 2 years.

We were told this is the last time we can buy so few points as minimum going forwards will be 3000.

Also need to own trust points as trust owners will be given priority over enrolled owners for future bookings.

Also they're going to focus on Westin and Hyatt owners rather than Marriott owners and if these owners buy VC points they'll get priority over us.

Am sure this is all sales tactics to get us to buy today ( which we didn't). I would like to be presidential and for us to have titanium status, third home option, 18 month banking etc but am sure can achieve all this with resale trust points???

She kept saying our portfolio of 8725 DC points would cost over $120,000 so Marriott
has to be fair to new owners shelling out so much!! She made me feel like a poor relative!!

Thoughts fellow tigers?
What would you like to do with your ownership? Having 8,725 points is already alot and you can already book single night reservations, which is one of the two most powerful things (IMO) in the entire DC system (the other being the ability to rent points). I think the additional features of higher levels (extended lives of banked points?) don't justify a large check.

However, if it's not a financial hardship, then adding additional ownership can be justified (even if not "needed").

Personally, I would pass on buying more points -- they may truly raise the minimum to 3,000 points, but I'm sure if you insisted on only buying 1,500 in the future, they would sell it to you. There is so much chaos and disruption right now in the Marriott world because of the Vistana purchase that I would sit tight and watch -- you already have a strong ownership position and I wouldn't think you need to add it.

One thing to consider -- if you have a favorite home week that you always use for personal use -- perhaps buy another one, and then think about your existing week as a dedicated "points generator" -- and your new week becomes the one you occupy. This gives you access to points that you might not have considered before.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can achieve with resale points.

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club

Thoughts fellow tigers?
When I purchased 1,500 extra points to get to a new level two summers ago I was told the same exact lie. They will never offer 1,500 points again.

These people have no shame. We are not customers or clients we are just marks to be taken advantage of. Believe nothing they say and verify everything through independent sources.

Last edited:

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
What would you like to do with your ownership? Having 8,725 points is already alot and you can already book single night reservations, which is one of the two most powerful things (IMO) in the entire DC system (the other being the ability to rent points). I think the additional features of higher levels (extended lives of banked points?) don't justify a large check.

However, if it's not a financial hardship, then adding additional ownership can be justified (even if not "needed").

Personally, I would pass on buying more points -- they may truly raise the minimum to 3,000 points, but I'm sure if you insisted on only buying 1,500 in the future, they would sell it to you. There is so much chaos and disruption right now in the Marriott world because of the Vistana purchase that I would sit tight and watch -- you already have a strong ownership position and I wouldn't think you need to add it.

One thing to consider -- if you have a favorite home week that you always use for personal use -- perhaps buy another one, and then think about your existing week as a dedicated "points generator" -- and your new week becomes the one you occupy. This gives you access to points that you might not have considered before.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Best,

Greg

Thanks to all for replies.

Greg, we have a resale 3BR lock off unit at Playa Andaluza in Spain which guarantees us 2 weeks every year - we've stayed in the lock off unit acouple of times which wasn't too bad considering we were outside most of the time. The move into the 2BR has always been easy and we love the space after a week "managing" in the lock off.

I may try to buy resale points to take us to 10000 to get us to presidential and will be annoyed if Marriott increase the number needed ie put presidential to 15,000.