• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trust [DP] versus Exchange [Legacy] Points in the Destination Club

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Are points points? When you trade your week for points and make a reservation using Trust Points is the inventory the same as Destination Points.

Canyon Villas salesman said the inventory pool is different. Boy he rubbed me the wrong way.

Thread title edited. <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Technically different, but in practice both inventory buckets are poured into a larger bucket called the MVC Exchange and that is where 99.9% of all ressies are booked from. So in practice, a point is a point.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
From page 2 of this forum's Points FAQ:

~~ Inventory Sources for DC Points Usage ~~
MVCI Weeks and MVCD Points inventory is kept separate according to the terms of each system's governing documents in order to protect Owners/Members ownership and usage rights. Inventory available through the DC Exchange Company is sourced from Marriott-controlled deposits as well as (according to a no-longer-available FAQ that had been posted to the owners' website during the early DC years,) "... other Marriott Vacation Club Owners who enroll their weeks and elect Vacation Club Points, and non-enrolled Owners who trade their usage for Marriott Rewards points or exchange their week through membership in Interval International."

Technically, in compliance with the governing documents, DC Trust Members have direct access to inventory in the DC Trust as well as inventory available through the DC Exchange Company; and, DC Exchange Members have direct access to only the inventory that's available through the DC Exchange Company. Functionally, it appears that Marriott is managing inventory such that a few select high-demand intervals are available only from the Trust at the 13-months Reservation Window, then at the 12-months Reservation Window most intervals are made available through the Exchange Company. Effectively, it appears that inventory is currently being managed by Marriott such that the technical v. functional legal aspects are practically nullified with respect to the overwhelming majority of available intervals.

Another thing the sales reps might say is that Weeks Owners can't use II to exchange into new resorts. This is also something that technically could be true if Marriott were to choose to not make intervals available via II, but in practice since the DC inception Marriott has almost immediately deposited into II intervals from each and every new resort that's been added to the portfolio.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We own both and, for the purpose of making a reservation, there is NO difference.

chiller90

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour
I was recently in a presentation at Newport Coast Villas, and was told that Marriott indeed keeps the Exchange points (from Deeded weeks) and Trust Points in separate inventory pools. We only own two deeded weeks at Cypress Harbour, thus we don't have access to the trust inventory. The sales person claimed that if we bought at least 1,000 trust points, we would gain access to the trust inventory and be able to use all of our points (exchange points + trust points) interchangeably in both inventory pools. "A point is a point as long as you buy from the Trust". I have learned not to trust everything said on sales presentations. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I was recently in a presentation at Newport Coast Villas, and was told that Marriott indeed keeps the Exchange points (from Deeded weeks) and Trust Points in separate inventory pools. We only own two deeded weeks at Cypress Harbour, thus we don't have access to the trust inventory. The sales person claimed that if we bought at least 1,000 trust points, we would gain access to the trust inventory and be able to use all of our points (exchange points + trust points) interchangeably in both inventory pools. "A point is a point as long as you buy from the Trust". I have learned not to trust everything said on sales presentations. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks!
False. It’s sales BS.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Thanks!
It's a lie that they have been spinning for years.

And it cannot be true. IF there were separate inventory pools that were truly inaccessible to each other as a result of long-standing unchangeable rules (i.e. rules that protect the rights of those who hold assets in each inventory pool), than how can the purchase of a small number of trust points permit them to break those rules?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

Thanks!

There's a huge gap between the technical and functional aspects of the Destination Club inventory pools. Most sales reps do not have ownership/working knowledge of that gap, and some of the ones who do have the knowledge have no compunction with deliberately misrepresenting the program so as to generate sales of Trust Points. Read my post #4 above - that info is based on the vast experience of TUGgers who have been members of the Destination Club since its inception, as well as some who did not have an immediate positive first impression of the DC but came to it after watching and learning from the rest of us. The entire FAQ - MVC DESTINATIONS Points Program is chock-full of info gained from that experience, if you're interested.

Again, the technical v. functional aspects of the different inventory pools and different types of DC points are, in practice, not a concern with the overwhelming majority of intervals. It's very smart to try to gain a full understanding, not so smart to let the sales staff tell you how it all works.

Last edited:

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
See thread above. As someone who only had enrolled week for a while before I bought resale points, I didn't suddenly see difference.
They used to add that you would never have access to the newer properties since they are trust only until they realized how easy it was to see that it was a lie.

But if you really want to buy points (I did to get to next level and the 13 month reservation window) then buy resale. A trust point is a trust point once you pay the junk fees.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
While there is a smidge of truth to the words technically, in reality there is no difference.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One difference is that you can turn Trust DPs into Bonvoy Points but you can't turn elected DPs into Bonvoy points (you have to trade the week into BPs directly). Never thought it would matter...but with COVID I was willing to accept the ruinous exchange rate on some surplus Trust DPs.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
I own both for the fast few years and I see no difference in being able to book any reservation. I’m sure the sales people will say my trust points are supercharged.