• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

True or False: 70% of owners deposit in Jan, Feb and March of year of occupancy?

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called II to check on an exchange request for this summer. I deposited the week and put in the request in July 08. The story from Dean at II was not to worry because most owners [70%] deposit in the first three months of the year of occupancy. Is this true for Marriott owners?

My spider sense is telling me that this is not true.

83146-129090-spider-man_large.jpg

Charles

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
2 nights ago I spoke with a Marriott rep (not II Marriott desk). I asked a similar question and was told that a large majority of Marriott owners book their week close to 1 year in advance. He then told me, of the number of owners who end up trading, more than half of the deposits are made with II after the 1st of the year.

I am also skeptical, but hopeful for my pending exchange request.

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would guess its probably a correct percentage or at least close. I have found that most owners wait until maintenance fees are due before depositing. I dont think the average Marriott owner thinks as far ahead as the average TUG member.
During the first few months of the year you usually see a much larger amount of units available for exchange.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please advise.

The original request was for Ocean Watch but I started getting nervous today and added Surf Watch, Grande Ocean, and Barony for the same dates. I REALLY want to visit Ocean Watch. Should I delete the Hilton Head resorts from my pending request?

For what it's worth, I am exchanging a Barony Beach gold week - April 4 check-in.

Charles

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Marriott still have inventory at Ocean Watch? If so you would think that a bulk deposit would be made. Believe it or not Marriott even makes bulk deposits for premium weeks. Keep your fingers crossed.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
The original request was for Ocean Watch but I started getting nervous today and added Surf Watch, Grande Ocean, and Barony for the same dates. I REALLY want to visit Ocean Watch. Should I delete the Hilton Head resorts from my pending request?

For what it's worth, I am exchanging a Barony Beach gold week - April 4 check-in.

Charles

Charles I am still awaiting an Easter week (4/11-4/18/09) exchange that I also placed in July 2008 (deposit first). I gave three choices: Grande Ocean, Surfwatch and Barony. I have the plane tickets already purchased so I REALLY need this to come through.

II told me recently that there should be more deposits made early this year and that I am probably high up on the list so I still should be OK. I am not so sure though. This is my first pending search with II and it has not been too encouraging.

You are in the same boat as me although you have until the summer for something to come through...how long you gonna wait before starting to panic?!?!?:eek:

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
I would guess its probably a correct percentage or at least close. I have found that most owners wait until maintenance fees are due before depositing. I dont think the average Marriott owner thinks as far ahead as the average TUG member.
During the first few months of the year you usually see a much larger amount of units available for exchange.
But Marriott owners don't need to pay their maintenance fees to deposit in II. I'm sure about this logic for Marriott owners.

I think, most owners firm up their vacation plans in Jan, Feb & Mar and that's why you might get most of your trades then.

However, in my trade experience into to II I've gotten all my trades at 12 months out for Marriott Resorts. The 2 trades I did to non-marriotts resorts were done at 6 months out.

Reaction score
I'm with Gmarine

But Marriott owners don't need to pay their maintenance fees to deposit in II. I'm sure about this logic for Marriott owners.

I think, most owners firm up their vacation plans in Jan, Feb & Mar and that's why you might get most of your trades then.

However, in my trade experience into to II I've gotten all my trades at 12 months out for Marriott Resorts. The 2 trades I did to non-marriotts resorts were done at 6 months out.

Even though marriott doesn't require Maintenance fee payment prior to booking you'd be surprised at how many owners (not TuGGERS) don't realize that based on their experiences with other companies.

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
On our exchanges we have typically found that we are confirmed, for an ongoing request, at just around one year out, or in the first three months of the year we want to travel. That tracks with what has been said.

I thing that TUG members plan their vacations way in advance to take full advantage of the system. I would guess a lot of others do not. They don't think about making a reservation or making a deposit until they get the maintenance bill to remind them. These would be the same people who call a month before they want to trade into a 2 bedroom condo in Hawaii on July 4th and aren't successful and then complain that they can't ever get a trade and timeshares are a ripoff.:rolleyes:

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to basics or Exchanging 101

How does getting a confirmation one year out work? Are you requesting more than one year out from the time of deposit? I.e., using a deposited 2009 week for a request for 2011?

Maybe that's part of my problem, I use a 2009 deposit to request a 2009 week.

Charles

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've exchanged twice through interval, always depositing a minimum of one year out. Last week I deposited my 2010 Aruba week and requested a summer 2010 week in Marbella. That's 18 months out and feel confident in getting confirmed at the 13 or 12 month window.

In January of 2008 I deposited my 2009 week in hopes of trading for an August 2009 Newport Coast week. I was confirmed at 13 months out.

I like to plan as far in advance as I can. for any vacation, not just timeshare vacations.

AMJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Charles,
I would think that your request would eventually come through. Several different II reps told me that Ocean Watch is a much more difficult exchange than any of the Marriott Hilton Head resorts. According to a couple of different Marriott salesmen, many people purchased multiple summer weeks at Ocean Watch and that owner occupancy is very high.

Good luck with your request.

Joyce

rsnash

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had all of those in my Labor Day 2009 request (made Nov 2008), I got Surf Watch. If you ONLY want Ocean Watch then you should remove the others. Figure out what you are willing to accept. Just keep in mind that since you are less than a year out, you need to be more flexible.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I removed the others and will wait another month or two before making any changes . . . if I can be that patient.

Charles

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always placed my request at least one year out especially if I am looking to go to a high demand area. Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head are very high demand in the summer.

Not to discourage you at all, but also know the week after the 4th of July week is one of the highest demanded weeks at these places. Trading with a gold week is good but the platinum owners will be confirmed ahead of you. If you do not get a confirmation by March, add every other place you would be willing to go to.

Beverley

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
my myrtle beach

I deposited my Myrtle Beach unit last July (that was about 11 months out) so that my AC would last into this coming summer. I've reserved Lawrence Welk Resort for first week of June with my AC. I have requested a long list of places for next June or August or Thanksgiving week (including Marriott's in Paris, Hawaii, Palm Beach, Palm Springs and a few Westin's and Hyatt's for the fun of it). I am getting nervous about airfare prices and/or ff seats.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always placed my request at least one year out especially if I am looking to go to a high demand area. Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head are very high demand in the summer.

Not to discourage you at all, but also know the week after the 4th of July week is one of the highest demanded weeks at these places. Trading with a gold week is good but the platinum owners will be confirmed ahead of you. If you do not get a confirmation by March, add every other place you would be willing to go to.

Beverley

Yeah, March is the latest I would wait.

Charles

jlr10

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does getting a confirmation one year out work? Are you requesting more than one year out from the time of deposit? I.e., using a deposited 2009 week for a request for 2011?

Maybe that's part of my problem, I use a 2009 deposit to request a 2009 week.

Charles

We try to keep at least a year ahead. Our last exchange request was with a 2007 week. We put the request in December of 2007 for a Spring week in 2009. Since we use a summer desert week we like to have all the help we can!

Remember that you can deposit one year in advance and request an exchange up to 2 years from the checkin date of the week deposited. That is how you get the 3 year trading window.

I am not sure how resorts that permit reservation 2 years in advance deposit. I know we once got an exchange 2 years, to the day, from the date we wanted to go for a week on the Big Island. -It also helped that we had just joined Tug which gave us some pointers for the request. Best $15 we ever spent! :cheer:

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been with II for over 13 years and exchange each year - but only recent 2-3 yrs where I exclusively asked for marriotts. now, this recent II confirmation (about two - three weeks ago) for a Spring Break 2009 Maui Ocean Club exchange was by far the closest to travel date I have received confirmation. I normally get something confirmed 9-10 months out and I almost always deposit 12-13 months out from a requested date.