• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trouble Getting Out of A Timeshare Perpetuity Contract in Ontario, Canada?

derobil

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am part of a group of 800 timeshare owners in Ontario, Canada who are making good headway into getting laws changed in Ontario and the rest of Canada to abolish perpetuity contracts within the timeshare industry. Our laws need changing, but we need people to step-up and voice their wish to have this happen. If you have a timeshare in Ontario, Canada that you wish to get out of now, or in the future, but see problems in doing so, please send me a message. Together we can make this happen! It's important!

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I know this is a serious topic, but the tags on this message make me laugh. :) (Canada, Exit, Ontario)

Best of luck to you!

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Are you referring to Carriage Hills / Ridge timeshare? There is also a thread in the 'Canada' section of these forums. I am not an owner there but live 10 mins away so I have neighbours and friends who are, and I am following the battles with the ever increasing maintenance fees, no way out and possible resort closure. The Diamond Resorts Advocacy Facebook page organizer Irene is also helping people get out of their ownership (she is branching out from just Diamond). Did you happen to see the CTV News story about Carriage Hills that consumer reporter Pat Foran did on the 6pm news? Here's the link if you didn't; https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/i-would-...remains-stuck-in-timeshare-contract-1.4680922

I wish you the best of luck.

~Diane

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
The Ontario market is an example where there is just too few high in demand weeks, and a lot of low weeks. In the situation where all weeks are paying equal MFs then those who own high demand ski or summer fixed weeks are great and the rest are bailing and leaving fare fewer numbers to support the entire resort. The collapse will happen.

If those units were sold on a pure points play it might may the situation a little bit more manageable. But they are not.

There are too few in demand weeks in Ontario. Basically July and August, a few ski weeks and a few fall weeks. Spring is long and mucky, and once the leaves change there is not much draw unless you have some ski action going on. So in a 52 week year, you have about 12-16 in demand weeks, the rest a just not there.

An urban location may not suffer the same fate, but only Vancouver has urban locations in Canada, and Vancouver has a different climate. So it will not likely suffer the same fate.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I am part of a group of 800 timeshare owners in Ontario, Canada who are making good headway into getting laws changed in Ontario and the rest of Canada to abolish perpetuity contracts within the timeshare industry. Our laws need changing, but we need people to step-up and voice their wish to have this happen. If you have a timeshare in Ontario, Canada that you wish to get out of now, or in the future, but see problems in doing so, please send me a message. Together we can make this happen! It's important!

¿So I am assuming you want all timeshares to be RTU like in Mexico? ¿How many years?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We own TaraNova which is based in Toronto Canada and has non perpetuity ownerships .
Ours expires in 2034 .

It is owner managed by a Board of Governors . The members own the Club and the Club owns the properties.;
which are located outside Canada.
Myrtle Beach - New Hampshire - Tahoe NV - Costa Rica . MF is in USD and has been $ 699 USD for a number of years . ( 6 years including 2020)

I understand over 70% of owners deposit their weeks into RCI
or Advantage Program (HSI)- which was added as an option in 2018 .

It basically functions like a float week / RTU ownership.
I understand it is possible to accelerate an ownership etc.

I believe there are about 1200 members .
IMO - TaraNova is very well managed, and all the staff ,work hard for all of the owners .

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

As mentioned in another thread, CTV's Pat Foran did a segment on timeshares and the inability of the elderly or financially strapped people to get out of the ownership. I emailed him and he replied back saying he will be at the Carriage Hills meeting next Tuesday. Perhaps you could email him (Patrick.Foran@Bellmedia.ca) or talk to him if you attend the meeting to give him some more information on what your group is trying to do.

~Diane

derobil

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to Carriage Hills / Ridge timeshare? There is also a thread in the 'Canada' section of these forums. I am not an owner there but live 10 mins away so I have neighbours and friends who are, and I am following the battles with the ever increasing maintenance fees, no way out and possible resort closure. The Diamond Resorts Advocacy Facebook page organizer Irene is also helping people get out of their ownership (she is branching out from just Diamond). Did you happen to see the CTV News story about Carriage Hills that consumer reporter Pat Foran did on the 6pm news? Here's the link if you didn't; https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/i-would-...remains-stuck-in-timeshare-contract-1.4680922

I wish you the best of luck.

~Diane
Thanks Diane! Yes, it is the Carriage Resorts. Our group has now grown to over 1100, and yes, Pat Foran is coming to our AGM. We really do need the laws changed to abolish in perpetuity contracts. We will soon be meeting with the Ontario Government. We are making good headway! If people on this site have any concerns for now or in the future, they should contact me here. I can give advice and more information! Thank you for your note! Becky

derobil

TUG Member
Reaction score
And actually Diane, our group is from the Carriage Resorts, but we are representing all timeshares , by and large, in Ontario who believe there needs to be change in the timeshare industry....namely abolish in perpetuity contracts, and stop high pressure misleading sales practices. We want fair sales contracts to be enforced that clearly lay out exit provisions in all timeshare contracts in Ontario and ultimately the rest of Canada. Ontario is a good start. Quebec recently has made some positive changes.

derobil

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is a serious topic, but the tags on this message make me laugh. :) (Canada, Exit, Ontario)

Best of luck to you!
I didn't even notice...I guess it's kind of eye catching though...lol! Becky

derobil

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Ontario market is an example where there is just too few high in demand weeks, and a lot of low weeks. In the situation where all weeks are paying equal MFs then those who own high demand ski or summer fixed weeks are great and the rest are bailing and leaving fare fewer numbers to support the entire resort. The collapse will happen.

If those units were sold on a pure points play it might may the situation a little bit more manageable. But they are not.

There are too few in demand weeks in Ontario. Basically July and August, a few ski weeks and a few fall weeks. Spring is long and mucky, and once the leaves change there is not much draw unless you have some ski action going on. So in a 52 week year, you have about 12-16 in demand weeks, the rest a just not there.

An urban location may not suffer the same fate, but only Vancouver has urban locations in Canada, and Vancouver has a different climate. So it will not likely suffer the same fate.
All that you say is true, but still our group is from the Carriage Resorts, but we are representing all timeshares , by and large, in Ontario who believe there needs to be change in the timeshare industry....namely abolish in perpetuity contracts, and stop high pressure misleading sales practices. We want fair sales contracts to be enforced that clearly lay out exit provisions in all timeshare contracts in Ontario and ultimately the rest of Canada. Ontario is a good start. Quebec recently has made some positive changes.

derobil

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own TaraNova which is based in Toronto Canada and has non perpetuity ownerships .
Ours expires in 2034 .

It is owner managed by a Board of Governors . The members own the Club and the Club owns the properties.;
which are located outside Canada.
Myrtle Beach - New Hampshire - Tahoe NV - Costa Rica . MF is in USD and has been $ 699 USD for a number of years . ( 6 years including 2020)

I understand over 70% of owners deposit their weeks into RCI
or Advantage Program (HSI)- which was added as an option in 2018 .

It basically functions like a float week / RTU ownership.
I understand it is possible to accelerate an ownership etc.

I believe there are about 1200 members .
IMO - TaraNova is very well managed and all the staff ,work hard for all of the owners .
Sounds like an interesting plan. I have heard other such plans in our group. Our group is from the Carriage Resorts, but we are representing all timeshares , by and large, in Ontario who believe there needs to be change in the timeshare industry....namely abolish in perpetuity contracts, and stop high pressure misleading sales practices. We want fair sales contracts to be enforced that clearly lay out exit provisions in all timeshare contracts in Ontario and ultimately the rest of Canada. Ontario is a good start. Quebec recently has made some positive changes.

derobil

TUG Member
Reaction score
¿So I am assuming you want all timeshares to be RTU like in Mexico? ¿How many years?
Maybe, there are different plans out there that could be an option. Our group is from the Carriage Resorts, but we are representing all timeshares , by and large, in Ontario who believe there needs to be change in the timeshare industry....namely abolish in perpetuity contracts, and stop high pressure misleading sales practices. We want fair sales contracts to be enforced that clearly lay out exit provisions in all timeshare contracts in Ontario and ultimately the rest of Canada. Ontario is a good start. Quebec recently has made some positive changes. We need people to agree to say, yes, these things are not right. There needs to be change. The government needs to hear this from us, or they sit and do nothing. It's up to the people to let them know.

derobil

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other way I've seen this done is by bundling high and low-demand weeks together in a single deed. I seem to recall a Northern Michigan resort that was sold this way.
There are many options. Our group is from the Carriage Resorts, but we are representing all timeshares , by and large, in Ontario who believe there needs to be change in the timeshare industry....namely abolish in perpetuity contracts, and stop high pressure misleading sales practices. We want fair sales contracts to be enforced that clearly lay out exit provisions in all timeshare contracts in Ontario and ultimately the rest of Canada. Ontario is a good start. Quebec recently has made some positive changes. Our government needs to hear from us or they will not make changes. It is not just the Carriage Resorts having problems. It is an industry problem because it is a failed business model. I can provide more info on easy steps to help if anyone in this group sees the need for change!