• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Treatment with Hydroxychloroquine Cut Death Rate Significantly in COVID-19 Patients

Status
Not open for further replies.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
This recent study proves that the Hydrochloroquine treatment actually works on covid 19. Please do not post any political junk regarding the study. Many emergency workers take this drug and many covid 19 patients were treated successfully with this drug.

Bill

https://www.henryford.com/news/2020/07/hydro-treatment-study

Patients treated with hydroxychloroquine at Henry Ford met specific protocol criteria as outlined by the hospital system’s Division of Infectious Diseases. The vast majority received the drug soon after admission; 82% within 24 hours and 91% within 48 hours of admission. All patients in the study were 18 or over with a median age of 64 years; 51% were men and 56% African American.

“The findings have been highly analyzed and peer-reviewed,” said Dr. Marcus Zervos, division head of Infectious Disease for Henry Ford Health System, who co-authored the study with Henry Ford epidemiologist Dr. Samia Arshad. “We attribute our findings that differ from other studies to early treatment, and part of a combination of interventions that were done in supportive care of patients, including careful cardiac monitoring. Our dosing also differed from other studies not showing a benefit of the drug. And other studies are either not peer reviewed, have limited numbers of patients, different patient populations or other differences from our patients.”

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Austrailia also had similar results.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This study looks good. It would be nice if confirmed to have an early treatment.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Interesting.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Consider this 'political junk'. I'll take my advice from recognized experts. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Consider this 'political junk'. I'll take my advice from recognized experts. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Knock it off Jim !!! I really don't care where you get your advice. I have no political motivation regarding this at all.

Bill

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Great information. Early treatment seems to be really important. This treatment has been touted to work at Swedish Hospital in Denver. A friend of ours is an intensive care nurse at Swedish, and this treatment has been effective for that hospital. She took it to avoid getting the virus and hasn't been sick yet. She is my age. But you have to realize that some think this is a terrible treatment and is actually a dangerous treatment. It's been used to prevent malaria for many years for those who go overseas. There are reasons they feel that way, and we should all respect one another.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Are you that blinded by your political hate for a certain party / leader? I didn't see anything political in the article about a study that was conducted by the Henry Ford Health System. I never cared for how Hydrochloroquine was first touted, but I try to keep my mind open when it comes to possible treatments.

Kurt

About Henry Ford Health System:

Under the leadership of President and CEO Wright L. Lassiter, III, Henry Ford Health System is a $6.5 billion integrated health system comprised of six hospitals, a health plan, and 250+ sites including medical centers, walk-in and urgent care clinics, pharmacy, eye care facilities and other healthcare retail. Established in 1915 by auto industry pioneer Henry Ford, the health system now has 32,000 employees and remains home to the 1,900-member Henry Ford Medical Group, one of the nation’s oldest physician groups. An additional 2,200 physicians are also affiliated with the health system through the Henry Ford Physician Network. An active participant in medical education and training, the health system has trained nearly 40% of physicians currently practicing in the state and also provides education and training for other health professionals including nurses, pharmacists, radiology and respiratory technicians.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Henry Ford is a medical institution/provider. I appreciate articles/studies from medical/scientists. They are the ONLY news items I review for Covid. I'm fine to see varying opinions, debates, as Covid treatment is an evolving issue, as long as they're backed it up with facts from medical/science field.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you that blinded by your political hate for a certain party / leader?
Not at all. In fact I welcome studies by recognized institutions. I will read and compare the methodology used in coming to their conclusions and repeatability of the results of double blind studies by multiple institutions. Pardon me if quotes like " Many emergency workers take this drug and many covid 19 patients were treated successfully with this drug." strike me as anecdotal rather than derived from scientific studies.

Jim

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not at all. In fact I welcome studies by recognized institutions. I will read and compare the methodology used in coming to their conclusions and repeatability of the results of double blind studies by multiple institutions. Pardon me if quotes like " Many emergency workers take this drug and many covid 19 patients were treated successfully with this drug." strike me as anecdotal rather than derived from scientific studies.
Those were @easyrider's words, not from the study. What part of the study did you find political or anecdotal?

Kurt

Edited: corrected user name link

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
One thing I don't understand from the article.
Mortality rate of those treated
only with Hydroxychloroquine:13%
with Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin : 20.1%
only with azithromycin: 22.4%
not treated with either: 26.4%

If that is the case why would giving azithromycin with the hydroxychloroquine make the patient more likely to die?
Did all patients (out of 2541) in the study who did not have a heart condition get hydroxychloroquine and if that is the case could the heart condition combined with Covid be the reason the patients were more likely to die?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Those were @Passepartout's words, not from the study. What part of the study did you find political or anecdotal?

Kurt
Not stepping on your sensitive toes, Kurt, but the words in quotes are not mine. They were in the original post in the thread.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Jim
If that is your standard, Jim, then you should be equally dismissive of claims about the benefits of remdisvir.

The reality is that there has not been enough time to conduct replicated double blind studies of any treatment, published in peer reviewed journals. Given the urgency of the situation, many researchers are conducting tests and putting the information out there for others to look at and consider. It's really a medical wild west out there right now.

I might add that the benefits of face masks have also not been subjected to double blind studies. Does that cause you to dismiss the efficacy of wearing face masks?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not stepping on your sensitive toes, Kurt, but the words in quotes are not mine. They were in the original post in the thread.
Sorry, simple typo. I meant to say that the words in quotes were from @easyrider's post. But the question still remains: What part of the peer-reviewed study did you find political or anecdotal?

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, Taking untested drugs- off label- can be dangerous. Especially for those with other conditions for w maskshich those drugs have not been tested for interactions- re: those with heart conditions that Hydroxycholoroquine contributed to arrythmia and death. To speculate that I dismiss the efficacy of face masks when the experience of millions of people in Japan, Korea, China and hundreds of other locales who have reduced the spread of Covid-19, I would call irrefutable proof.

I'm done here.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
those with heart conditions that Hydroxycholoroquine contributed to arrythmia and death.

I thought the "study" that claimed that was debunked and that the Lancet magazine retracted it.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to see there is now another option available to those who might want it. I say available, because many doctors needed to see clinical data from a US study before they would use it. The 3500 patient study from France was not enough.

Good science should dictate how we prescribe drugs.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does HCQ appear to work? Pre COVID-19 research (peer reviewed) showed that HCQ acts an an ionophore (a chemical that opens the cell wall to let certain ions in). Zinc was one of the ions proven to be let into the cell. Peer reviewed data for other Covid viruses (pre COVID-19 again) showed that there was an improvement in the course of disease progress with extra zinc added to the patient. The best results were when it was taken as soon as possible. The molecular research showed that intra-cellular zinc blocked one of the genes necessary for Corona virus replication.

The effectiveness was not targeted to kill the virus, but to slow down the replication, to allow the bodies immune system to "come up to speed" to fight the viruses.

So.... Knowing this, HCQ would not be effective in late stage treatment. It would only be effective in early stage treatment, preferably as early as possible, and with zinc.

Unfortunately, most of the testing has been in late stage treatment, where, by the already known science, it would be ineffective. Which with, the drug was always being touted as a worthless write-off - at ALL stages.

There are drugs in the pharmacopia that only work at early stages of a disease, (Tamiflu is an example); this should not come as a shock.

Cui bono? (For those who don't know Latin - who benefits?)

pharmacistking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Bella
SDO
The Grandview Las Vegas
MVC Grand Chateau
Glad to see there is now another option available to those who might want it. I say available, because many doctors needed to see clinical data from a US study before they would use it. The 3500 patient study from France was not enough.

Good science should dictate how we prescribe drugs.

I believe HCQ is not an interesting drug for Covid19. There are several other leads but we still know very little on this virus. I believe the best hopes are the vaccines. This is the pharmacist talking. I do not care for politics.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, Taking untested drugs- off label- can be dangerous. Especially for those with other conditions for w maskshich those drugs have not been tested for interactions- re: those with heart conditions that Hydroxycholoroquine contributed to arrythmia and death. To speculate that I dismiss the efficacy of face masks when the experience of millions of people in Japan, Korea, China and hundreds of other locales who have reduced the spread of Covid-19, I would call irrefutable proof.

I'm done here.
Except that hydroxychloroquine has been used safely for years, under physician supervision. Usage conditions and risks are well known.

As with any medication, it should only be used under medical supervision. Just like remdesvir, I would add.

I trust, Jim, that you are not really advocating that no drug should be considered if it might cause health problems if not used under medical supervision.

I know of NIH funded clinical trial, double-blind study under medical supervision, that was canceled because after hydrocychloroquine became a political football, not enough people were willing to participate in the program to make a valid study.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

I believe HCQ is not an interesting drug for Covid19. There are several other leads but we still know very little on this virus. I believe the best hopes are the vaccines. This is the pharmacist talking. I do not care for politics.

It appears that a lot of the information in the first link is not new and in part makes reference to study that has been retracted. I agree with you that a vaccine is the best hope to restore normality but there are no guarantees. Even if we do have a vaccine, it may not be effective on everyone so we still better have some treatments that work as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.