• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Traveling now, getting a hotel room reminds me how great it is to have timeshares

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I think it’s a timeshare as I got it on redweek verified. I’m not sure. I do know it’s a 2 bedroom, ocean view. It ended up being thru Hilton themselves though (as that’s who I paid).

Yes, I thought it was a good price. I did see others at 3 k CDN for 10 days. That’s about 2300 USD. That was in Expedia.ca.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whoa! Hilton is now advertising timeshares on Redweek?

Travel1

Reaction score
Intervals with active contract MF and other fee paying owners is called performing inventory. Intervals owned by the HOA or developer or defaulted units are called non performing inventory.

Thank you.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Whoa! Hilton is now advertising timeshares on Redweek?

I have run into 3 other times when resorts themselves advertised on redweek. You really don’t know until you pay them.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Yes, but what I like about your approach is you planned them to work for you. Many times I find people buy in impulse and then regret the purchase.

Yes, sometimes one needs to clean out the closet. Do I really need those shoes? But...but...but. Sigh, ok they are gone.

Never regretted any of my acquisitions that I have now. I did research and just waited for what I wanted. If my other half didn’t own part of a NJ shore home, I would be able to use all my timeshares. Being he has to pay his part we might as well use the house and reduce our timeshare inventory.

As I am replying to you, it became clear to me I should find new homes for the units I own between July-Oct, that is the time we would use the shore house the most. Now I just have to figure out when all the great parties are in the new community I moved to and my timeshare weeks that fall in those times will be the next ones to go.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have run into 3 other times when resorts themselves advertised on redweek. You really don’t know until you pay them.

They use Priceline, they must have found Redweek works well for their excess inventory too. Actually Redweek would be better as you know exactly where you are going. With Priceline, those great prices are for the unknown, you only find out after you paid and are committed.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
They use Priceline, they must have found Redweek works well for their excess inventory too. Actually Redweek would be better as you know exactly where you are going. With Priceline, those great prices are for the unknown, you only find out after you paid and are committed.

Yes and they use Hotwire.com too. Hotwire does the same conceal the name thing.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Our oldest DS needs to stay in hotels for work often for many weeks or months at a time. From growing up and vacationing in timeshares or in an RV, he absolutely hated staying in a plain hotel room even though his company first put him up in Hiltons and now Marriott's. He began using his points to upgrade from a regular room to a suite with a kitchenette or even a 1 bedroom with a full kitchen, as he is in now, if they cant negotiate a deal for taking many rooms for weeks or months at a time. He likes to buy some groceries with his meal per diem and eat healthier than going to restaurants all the time. He can eat his breakfast without needing to order expensive room service or get dressed to go out. Many of his colleagues also followed suit and 1 guy even brings a crockpot and makes a pot roast or similar meal to share with the others one or 2 nights a week.

~Diane

My husband used to travel quite a bit for his job and would be gone for 3-4 nights to 1-4 weeks at a time. The last thing he wanted to do was stay in a hotel and eat the majority of his meals in restaurants on vacation. For a number of years renting houses in the Outer Banks for several weeks and visiting out of town family was what we did for almost all of our vacations. On the second time we sat though a timeshare presentation I had grasped enough about how it worked to know I wanted us to buy. My husband was hesitant but went along with what I wanted. Our first stay was enough to convince him that it was the best thing ever!

When we walk into a resort he will still occasionally say "Well it isn't a Motel 6 but I guess it'll do." In eighteen years he hasn't forgotten the day we first bought when I told him I wasn't staying in Motel 6's on vacation when our son went off to college because that would be all we could afford. And eighteen years later I still get a happy smile on my face when he says it.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Yup, those Priceline deals can be weird. I stopped using Priceline for hotels in large cities for road trips just because half the time it seemed like a 1 star instead of a 4 star.

I guess booking.com now lets you rent your vacation properties on their site. Just saw this recently.

Bill

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Yup, those Priceline deals can be weird. I stopped using Priceline for hotels in large cities for road trips just because half the time it seemed like a 1 star instead of a 4 star.

I guess booking.com now lets you rent your vacation properties on their site. Just saw this recently.

Bill

Times have sure changed. Opening the hotel doors to anyone who has spare space makes the competition for your travel dollars even more fierce. I personally like it as it keeps prices in check and makes renting choices even better.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no hotel or other 3rd party offer that beats my WorldMark timeshare ownership. I have the flexibility to book reservations up to 13 months in advance using my credits, AND I have the flexibility to book from 1-14 days up to 60 days in advance renting credits from Wyndham for as many reservations as I want.

Yesterday, I spent less than 5 minutes to book a 2 bedroom WorldMark condo, complete with full kitchen, king size bed, full couch to view TV -- the usual, not typical hotel room accommodations -- for $80/night plus 11% tax. There is no way I could spend hours and "scour" a better deal.

Timeshare ownership has its Privileges, and in WorldMark, you do not need a VIP account to enjoy them. ;)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Intervals with active contract MF and other fee paying owners is called performing inventory. Intervals owned by the HOA or developer or defaulted units are called non performing inventory.

Thanks for sharing this, I have never heard this before. Do I contact II directly and ask them for the information?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My Key West weeks are fixed, two weeks January, two weeks November in the same unit. Marco Island 1/2 fixed and 1/2 float, the rest of what I own fixed. All higher demand weeks and areas, all fabulous traders
Owning two fixed weeks in January in Key West was a brilliant purchase IMO.
Location, location and time are very important in buying a timeshare.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The time-savings and convenience of reservations in a mini-system like Worldmark, HGV or Vistana should not be underestimated. Time is money and sometimes I find myself like that VRBO advertisement where I am scouring for deals and ultimately find myself watching surfing dogs or cat videos.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I feel the same way when I travel for work, I hate staying in hotels now. I love having the washer and dryer in my unit and the extra space to relax and enjoy the space.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The time-savings and convenience of reservations in a mini-system like Worldmark, HGV or Vistana should not be underestimated. Time is money and sometimes I find myself like that VRBO advertisement where I am scouring for deals and ultimately find myself watching surfing dogs or cat videos.
I love with HGV I can book only a few days. The convenience of mini systems definitely has its place in my portfolio. I can’t believe I am saying this but I like within the HGV portal to RCI I can get partial weeks. Recently used my hgv points to get four nights in Hershey, a week would be too much for me. Being it was weekdays the point usage was a bargain too.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Thanks for sharing this, I have never heard this before. Do I contact II directly and ask them for the information?

No, what I have done is contact the resort I want to stay at. I ask them if they have non performing inventory that they want to rent at a reduced rate. They either pass me on to another department, call me back or tell me there is nothing available. I would say I’m about 70 percent successful.

A few resorts direct me to their non performing rental website. Some resorts actually have sites like this.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
There is no hotel or other 3rd party offer that beats my WorldMark timeshare ownership. I have the flexibility to book reservations up to 13 months in advance using my credits, AND I have the flexibility to book from 1-14 days up to 60 days in advance renting credits from Wyndham for as many reservations as I want.

Yesterday, I spent less than 5 minutes to book a 2 bedroom WorldMark condo, complete with full kitchen, king size bed, full couch to view TV -- the usual, not typical hotel room accommodations -- for $80/night plus 11% tax. There is no way I could spend hours and "scour" a better deal.

Timeshare ownership has its Privileges, and in WorldMark, you do not need a VIP account to enjoy them. ;)

I love happy owners like you because I own WYND stock. I get capital gains lately and a dividend quarterly that pays most of my rentals and travel costs. I have 2500 shares. As an investor, I like those MFs, fees and locked in contracts. As an investor, I like the idea they have 800 k plus owners who pay the bills and can be tapped for extra costs and up selled for more points through “owner updates”. In my case, I can sell WYND on the market in seconds so it’s liquid. It’s a win on my side too.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@Fredflintstone Has this been done with chains like HGV? or the independents?

Both. I have had good luck with all Grand Pacific Resorts and Solei Resorts (sands of Kahana in Maui). I have been successful in Marriotts, Hiltons and Hyatt’s too.

I would say I have a 70 percent success rate on average. What has always intrigued me is I have been able to get non performing inventory yet an “owner” (who is a friend) couldn’t get the same week UNLESS he paid for the week. I would think an owner would get priority over me (the renter) but that doesn’t always appear to be the case.

As an example, I have been successful a few times getting a non performing 1 and 2 bedroom at Maui Ocean Club for between 140 to 205 a night depending on the view and room size. My friend, who owns there, was unsuccessful in booking and ended up having to pay full cash price to come along the week I booked. He says the rent cost was LESS than his MF.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I should add that I garner a list of timeshare resorts in the area I want to stay at and then call them. I always get a place at a reduced rate. It may take a few calls, but I will meet the objective.

Sometimes, the resort will send me to a website where they rent out their non performing inventory too. Resortime is an example.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Fredflintstone What I like about your approach is that you are dealing with a bona fide landlord and a great price. What I don't like is that you could get the dumpster view...i.e. the room no one else wants. Some ppl are fine with that and will go hang out by the beach. Others like me like our lanais, mai tais and OV sunsets...

We traded via RCI into a Hilton Hawaiian Lagoon Tower Penthouse. Although room layout and views were spectacular, the price was a steal compared to the $2500+ a day rack rate, it was the worst room on the floor. The master bedroom was right next to the elevator motor on the roof so the sound was very loud from the elevator running from early morning to late evening. Had to wear earplugs to sleep but could still hear. I can still hear the clanging in my head...This is the room they purposefully give to exchangers and not to owners.

Had we exchanged via our HGV ownership points we would have been given a much nicer and quieter room away from the elevators. Never again.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
@Fredflintstone What I like about your approach is that you are dealing with a bona fide landlord and a great price. What I don't like is that you could get the dumpster view...i.e. the room no one else wants. Some are fine with that and will go hang out by the beach. Others like me like our lanais, mai tais and OV sunsets...

Here’s one example of the view I got at Maui Ocean Club in a non performing inventory 1 bedroom. I took this picture from my balcony. I did zoom in a bit on this one.

f861f600f89c2ff51811ecfb18341ce4.jpg

Non performing inventory can include ocean view and ocean front. Yes, there are times I do get garden or pool view.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Also, what I find sometimes is they give me an awesome condo in hopes that I convert from renter to owner. The owner is already locked in so they have more wiggle room on quality of condo.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I have only had experience with HGV and Westin and I know firsthand their owners come first in terms of priority rooms. This is what I like about the systems. Perhaps Marriott is different.