• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Traveling now, getting a hotel room reminds me how great it is to have timeshares

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
The last two night I needed to get hotel rooms as we head to our winter timeshares. I have tried in the past staying at low cost hotels but due to the anxiety and discomfort I will not any more.

Last night I was near Savannah Georgia. I ended up at a Hampton Inn for $115 including breakfast for the two of us thru the Hilton site. The price was very good in comparison to others in the area. The first room smelled moldy, the second like vomit, a half hour later the third was fine.

Tonight I was lucky to get a room at the Marriott in New Key West for $220 plus 24.95 parking and that was a steal. I did Priceline, not knowing what I would get but being rooms were upward of $500 in the same area I took a chance. I wasn’t thinking and forgot to go through Tug, so sorry Brian.

Both rooms were small, no kitchen, and could use a facelift. The beds were good. I can’t imagine staying in either for a week.

Every time I need to get a hotel room it reminds me how great it is to have timeshares. It gives me the comfort like home and saves me lots of money too.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Absolutely agree. Timeshares spoil you!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe this Summer, all of it in hotels.
I am expecting to feel deprived, if not caged.
Returning to a week at Eagle's Nest will be a welcome relief.

Travel1

Reaction score
The last two night I needed to get hotel rooms as we head to our winter timeshares. I have tried in the past staying at low cost hotels but due to the anxiety and discomfort I will not any more.

Last night I was near Savannah Georgia. I ended up at a Hampton Inn for $115 including breakfast for the two of us thru the Hilton site. The price was very good in comparison to others in the area. The first room smelled moldy, the second like vomit, a half hour later the third was fine.

Tonight I was lucky to get a room at the Marriott in New Key West for $220 plus 24.95 parking and that was a steal. I did Priceline, not knowing what I would get but being rooms were upward of $500 in the same area I took a chance. I wasn’t thinking and forgot to go through Tug, so sorry Brian.

Both rooms were small, no kitchen, and could use a facelift. The beds were good. I can’t imagine staying in either for a week.

Every time I need to get a hotel room it reminds me how great it is to have timeshares. It gives me the comfort like home and saves me lots of money too.
Agree....when I spent one night in a hotel room after renting a timeshare, I immediately started the process to purchase a timeshare (resale) when I got home. Vacations are so much better now!

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Amen. Last year we had to vacate the house for a week as our hardwood floors were being refinished after a refrigerator ice maker water leak. Insurance paid for our hotel room, even with a kitchenette, but what a come down after timesharing for several decades.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
When on the road (alone) I always stayed at Motel6 figuring all I would do is sleep and take a shower then move on. Most of them were OK and I saved a lot of money. Every now and then I got a dump but really not all that often. At night I would always put a chair under the door handle and my 38 Detective Special on the pillow next to my head. Never had a problem though....

George

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
When on the road (alone) I always stayed at Motel6 figuring all I would do is sleep and take a shower then move on. Most of them were OK and I saved a lot of money. Every now and then I got a dump but really not all that often. At night I would always put a chair under the door handle and my 38 Detective Special on the pillow next to my head. Never had a problem though....

George

But they did leave the light on for you. ;)

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
And add in a family...the feeling of deprivation continues! We stay in Scranton, PA on our way to MO each summer. We have to have two hotel rooms, since there are 3 kids still with us. It's always at least $250, sometimes closer to $300. BLECH. We get a Staybridge Suites 2br in Columbus, which has a kitchen and is nicer. But still...it's over $200. Crazy, especially when my Cold Spring MF for my big sleeps 8 units is around $700.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I will be spending 3 weeks in Europe this Summer, all of it in hotels.
I am expecting to feel deprived, if not caged.
Returning to a week at Eagle's Nest will be a welcome relief.

yeah
But it’s Europe so there is that!!
Pretty certain you’ll enjoy it nonetheless

on our bucket list

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
When we are on the road, we like Candlewood Suites. The rooms have a mini kitchen with full fridge/freezer and all the rooms have a recliner. No breakfast, free coffee.

Since we own with HICV, we can move our points to IHG with a 20% haircut.

We did upgrade to a Staybridge Suites one night which was very nice and had a very nice breakfast.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I travel a decent amount for business and if I get a hotel room rather than a suite it is generally okay since it is just me. I can't do it when my wife comes along. It's just too small and not enough space for both of us. That's why I like Residence Inn.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Panina I feel your pain. I can stay in a hotel room for only a few nights max. A week would be dreadful. I was on the road a lot when I worked for corporate america so staying in a cookie cutter hotel room with a desk when I am trying to vacation feels claustrophobic. I get antsy after a few days because it feels like work. I would be perfectly happy if I never saw the inside of a Courtyard hotel again.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Our oldest DS needs to stay in hotels for work often for many weeks or months at a time. From growing up and vacationing in timeshares or in an RV, he absolutely hated staying in a plain hotel room even though his company first put him up in Hiltons and now Marriott's. He began using his points to upgrade from a regular room to a suite with a kitchenette or even a 1 bedroom with a full kitchen, as he is in now, if they cant negotiate a deal for taking many rooms for weeks or months at a time. He likes to buy some groceries with his meal per diem and eat healthier than going to restaurants all the time. He can eat his breakfast without needing to order expensive room service or get dressed to go out. Many of his colleagues also followed suit and 1 guy even brings a crockpot and makes a pot roast or similar meal to share with the others one or 2 nights a week.

~Diane

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I almost got brainwashed reading posts on how much better it is to rent. It has been awhile since I went to my timeshares as family stuff had to be done. Dose of reality this week. No one will convince me renting is better then owning a timeshare overall. Yes, there are those needle in the haystack but not for me.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panina, I can feel your pain... We are now trying to book only Marriott’s Residence Inns, Staybridge Suites or a Hilton Suite to have a kitchenette, a small living room and an enclosed bedroom area with a full bathroom.

Panina, please enjoy you vacation and keep some needed R&R.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I almost got brainwashed reading posts on how much better it is to rent. It has been awhile since I went to my timeshares as family stuff had to be done. Dose of reality this week. No one will convince me renting is better then owning a timeshare overall. Yes, there are those needle in the haystack but not for me.

Lol

You can always rent a timeshare. I have done it many times. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Hey, just an aside

I am finally going to Marco Island this October. I booked a 2 bedroom Ocean View at Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa for 10 nights for 1994.00. Yay! Yes, I rented.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Lol

You can always rent a timeshare. I have done it many times. Just sayin.

Not always. Not always a timeshare in a location you're going to be.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Not always. Not always a timeshare in a location you're going to be.

I have been real lucky with that. I always get the area I want BUT sometimes I have to really scour.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey, just an aside

I am finally going to Marco Island this October. I booked a 2 bedroom Ocean View at Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa for 10 nights for 1994.00. Yay! Yes, I rented.

Isn’t that the hotel? Not a timeshare? How did you get that rate because if it is for the hotel that is cheap.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Isn’t that the hotel? Not a timeshare? How did you get that rate because if it is for the hotel that is cheap.

I think it’s a timeshare as I got it on redweek verified. I’m not sure. I do know it’s a 2 bedroom, ocean view. It ended up being thru Hilton themselves though (as that’s who I paid).

Yes, I thought it was a good price. I did see others at 3 k CDN for 10 days. That’s about 2300 USD. That was in Expedia.ca.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, just an aside

Fredflntstone, you got a bargain and that cost per day. Awesome. Plus, you have a timeshare. Enjoy your stay.

A two bedroom unit and an ocean view. What more can you ask or want.

A Resort or A Timeshare who cares , just sit back and enjoy your villa and that ocean view.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think it’s a timeshare as I got it on redweek verified. I’m not sure. I do know it’s a 2 bedroom, ocean view. It ended up being thru Hilton themselves though (as that’s who I paid).

Yes, I thought it was a good price. I did see others at 3 k CDN for 10 days. That’s about 2300 USD. That was in Expedia.ca.

I would clarify which timeshare resort you are staying at and room number. The name of the resort you stated I doubt it is because that is a resort not a timeshare.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
That’s the one thing I love about renting. I can scour and get great pricing. I have seen some places where the rack rate is 600 a night but thru looking, I get it for 200 to 250 a night. It’s that competition factor that gets me the deals.

BTW, I learned I have to pay 35 USD a night resort fee upon check in. So, add 350 to the price. So, total was 2344 USD.