• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travel with an unpleasant cat

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Need some advice! We will be relocating in a few months. It will be an 11 hour drive with a not very accommodating kitty. Long story short we adopted this Turkish Persian after her Poppy died unexpectedly and nobody in the family could take her in. They were together 8 years. It has taken 7 months for her to finally feel somewhat comfy. Our plan was to drive our two cars fully loaded with what would not fit in the PODS. We will be staying with our daughter after we close on our house for a couple of months before heading south. I’m thinking we should go down in one car with the kitty, check into our short term rental, I could then fly back for around $60, go back to daughters for a night then drive the other car down myself. Does this sound worse than Dave NV’s adventure? Does anyone know if there is a good kitty sedative I could get from the vet? What do I do if she needs the litter box? Can’t take her out if the carrier, I would be sliced to ribbons. The thought of driving two cars on I95 one with a crazy cat just gives me huge anxiety. I hate having to watch someone following me.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Need some advice! We will be relocating in a few months. It will be an 11 hour drive with a not very accommodating kitty. Long story short we adopted this Turkish Persian after her Poppy died unexpectedly and nobody in the family could take her in. They were together 8 years. It has taken 7 months for her to finally feel somewhat comfy. Our plan was to drive our two cars fully loaded with what would not fit in the PODS. We will be staying with our daughter after we close on our house for a couple of months before heading south. I’m thinking we should go down in one car with the kitty, check into our short term rental, I could then fly back for around $60, go back to daughters for a night then drive the other car down myself. Does this sound worse than Dave NV’s adventure? Does anyone know if there is a good kitty sedative I could get from the vet? What do I do if she needs the litter box? Can’t take her out if the carrier, I would be sliced to ribbons. The thought of driving two cars on I95 one with a crazy cat just gives me huge anxiety. I hate having to watch someone following me.
Yes, you can get a sedative from the vet. The vet did warn us when we got the sedative for our 2 cats to get through a 10-hour drive, that the cats would continue to feel the fear and be stressed. The sedative reduced their vocalization and physical co-ordination - more limp, so that human would not be as stressed. Their eyes would also show the 3rd eyelids which most owners never realize that their kitties have them. Good luck.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
If she still has her claws, have the vet clip them for the trip. Put green cat litter in the carrier in case she has to relieve herself. If she does #2, you can stop an clean the carrier. Fit her with a harness so that if you have to get her out of the carrier during the trip, you will have a control point which you can use garden gloves if she is a biter.

I would see if you could make an appointment with a groomer at your destination on your arrival date, since she is a long haired cat.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
There are crates designed to hold small litter baskets.
You could do some test drives so the cat gets used to the idea.
You could cover the crate so the cat doesn't see the car moving.
Stop every 2 hours or so to check on the cat + add water to a bowl.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For sure get something from the vet. You could also do some other things that might help like CBD, feliway for cats, and a thundershirt. I do think moving the cat less often, such as going to the short term rental and then flying to your daughter's place is a better choice than bringing the cat to your daugther's and then going on to the rental. Most cats really hate change and it sounds like your cat will have an even more difficult time with it. Aside from your concern about getting scratched up, cats like to hide when they are put in a new location and you don't need your kitty running and hiding on a stop somewhere. I know it won't be a pleasant experience, so arm yourself with whatever you need as well like a really good night's sleep, hydration, etc.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't envy you this trip. Since I don't have any cat knowledge I want to comment about "having to watch someone following" . Nothing says you have to do that. Just set a next stopping point and meet there.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When I was in college I had a cat. I decided to take it home to my parents (with my mom's permission). It was something like a 10 to 12 hour drive. No litter box, no kitty crate and we drugged the cat with something like Benedryl. I wouldn't recommend this method of travel, but the cat did make it okay.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We got a sedative from the Vet, but the cat threw it up immediately. So we made the drive without any meds for the cat. He did fine. The kennel we used was large enough for him to have his favorite blanket, a small litter box, and food/water dishes attached to the cage wire. We did not take him out of the kennel during the trip - we moved the kennel into the motel rooms we stayed in, then back in the car next morning. It wasn't convenient, but made things work more easily.

You may want to explore having the cat shipped to you after you arrive, if there is an easy way to do that. I drove the route twice, once with the truck/minivan thing, and then a second time with my own car. If the minivan hadn't been an option (with three animals to move, we didn't have much choice), I'm not sure how we would have done things. Neither car was large enough to handle the kennels we used. Was we did worked fine, but it was a lot of extra expense to get the job done.

Good luck!
Dave

Brett

Reaction score

no advice here
but I once traveled with three beagles - that was an adventure !

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
There are also cat melatonin chews which might help if you don't want to use a full sedative.

You may also want to lay a pee pad in the cage and carry wipes in case the cat throws up. Ours does this just driving 10 miles to the vet.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Wow thanks everyone for all the helpful hints and stories. I think the best plan is to drive down in one car first with the kitty....already looked into a large cage/carrier that would accommodate a small litter box, water and food. I think having two people in the car with kitty is a better idea....she is very attached to my DH, and the original plan was for him to take her in his vehicle, but if she starts getting crazy that would be too distracting for one driver. Will definitely be visiting the vet for meds too. What we do for our fur babies! @DaveNV i read your saga. Almost changed my mind about moving, anyway cheap airfare to go back for the other car and possessions is a great incentive. I will probably enjoy an uneventful 11 hour drive alone!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Wow thanks everyone for all the helpful hints and stories. I think the best plan is to drive down in one car first with the kitty....already looked into a large cage/carrier that would accommodate a small litter box, water and food. I think having two people in the car with kitty is a better idea....she is very attached to my DH, and the original plan was for him to take her in his vehicle, but if she starts getting crazy that would be too distracting for one driver. Will definitely be visiting the vet for meds too. What we do for our fur babies! @DaveNV i read your saga. Almost changed my mind about moving, anyway cheap airfare to go back for the other car and possessions is a great incentive. I will probably enjoy an uneventful 11 hour drive alone!

Sounds like a plan! I admit, I did rather enjoy my second drive by myself. I could listen to the music I wanted to hear, and nobody sang along as well as I did. LOL! :D

Dave

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
We used to have a cat that loved traveling in our motor home. Not my current two brothers. In 2015 we took them on a cross country driving trip. They were together in a large dog crate. They never used the litter box so I took it out. And they wouldn’t eat until we got to our night stop. After two weeks Mango decided he would get car sick every time we drove. I got the only package of Benedryl in Souther Utah. It helped with the puking but not the yowling. 6000 miles of yowling cat. Now they stay with the cat sitter. They love her. She now has a boat called thank you Mango.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan! I admit, I did rather enjoy my second drive by myself. I could listen to the music I wanted to hear, and nobody sang along as well as I did. LOL! :D

Dave
Lol...I like podcasts, and I like to talk back at them. Dirty John was a good one, I was constantly like “you idiot”!! I’m weird, I like being alone while driving. Take my time, nobody telling me how I should drive. Although since our cars are older it’s nice to have a copilot checking my blind spot before changing lanes.