• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travel Plans Summer 2020?

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I banked our owned week at Cold Spring, but the other 3 trips for the summer are still on the books. We are hoping to spend a week in Lincoln, NH mid-June, mid-July at Smuggs, and late July heading to Missouri to see my parents. All will be driving trips. I know that the resorts will look very different, and that's fine with us. We are just ready to have a change of scenery.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We own two weeks at Brewster Green on Cape Cod from May 29 to June 12 (this year). I've been hoping that they would put off opening until after our reservations as we can not and would not go this soon. Currently their website says they are opening May 29. So we will most likely lose the two weeks. Will offer it to our kids but they've been more paranoid about the virus than we have so I doubt that they'd take us up on it and I know that they wouldn't fly. Driving all that way from SC would involve a lot of planning for gas and hotel and they might get there only to find little open. As of right now, I think the Cape is just take-out and delivery. We bought a 3 day trip to New Orleans at a fundraiser auction but no idea when we would feel good about going. Might lose that too. Plus our Bluegreen points expire in August. Not a good year for traveling for us.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I plan on traveling about 10 steps to backyard pool...No plane, taxi, rental car, planning, hassle, crazy people, etc.etc etc....Can't wait for hot weather..

geekette

Reaction score
I plan on traveling about 10 steps to backyard pool...No plane, taxi, rental car, planning, hassle, crazy people, etc.etc etc....Can't wait for hot weather..
But, mask and gloves, right? lol...

Enjoy!!!

BarbmC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Marriott BeachPlace
Marriott Vacation Club points owner
We rented a house in Cape May, NJ for a week in July. Fingers crossed and mask on.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Hopefully going to Hilton Head in July.

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I just booked Pollard Brook in NH for 4th of July week.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's time like now that I really miss our house in Henderson, NV. Pool and hot tub and built in outdoor kitchen. Our backyard was truly a paradise.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We just booked a week at the end of August at our RV timeshare in Pismo Beach directly on the ocean. I am so excited because we have not been there in a long time. I was able to get 5 consecutive days and I can add on Labor Day weekend on August 4th when the reservations open up. We are shareholders and we get up to 45 days per year for no extra cost. There are no MFs either because maintenance for the resort is covered by rental income. It only costs about $1000 per year to store our RV with the resort and $90 round trip for the resort to tow our RV back and forth from storage each time we visit. The nice thing is when we book a reservation, the resort automatically knows we have our RV stored with them so they automatically make the reservation for towing. We used to store our RV outside the resort and that would entail two extra calls to a private tower and then another call to the RV storage to let them know the tower would be coming. Now it is all easy peasy.

The reason we bought a share is because Pismo Coast is the most popular RV destination in California outside of the state and national parks. It is really difficult to book there if you do not have shareholder priority. Some families have up to 3 shares because they love it so much. That is the maximum number of shares allowed because they do not want any full time RVers staying there. The nice thing about the shares is that they appreciate over time. We paid about $36K for a share a few years ago. In 2012, the shares were selling for about $28K. That was when I originally wanted to buy a share but my DH was hesitant because we had just purchased our motorhome and he wanted to see more places first. Shares are hard to come by and we were on the waiting list for almost a year.

We have a fifth wheel and they tow it to our assigned spot before we arrive. It Is so easy. We used to have a motorhome that we would drive to various places but we discovered our favorite place in California is Pismo Beach. So we sold our 32’ motorhome and bought a DRV 38 RSBB3 Mobile Suite luxury fifth wheel (it measures 40’ 6” end to end and is about 400 sf inside). We ordered our fifth wheel direct from the manufacturer custom made to have the options we wanted. We have a king size bed, full size refrigerator, electric reclining lounge chairs, real wood cabinets, full size shower, 2 TVs, fireplace, ceiling fans, washer dryer and dishwasher too. It is like having our own condo on the beach!

I am also going to book Thanksgiving and Christmas at Pismo Beach since I doubt we will want to fly anywhere this year.

6C25E5E9-C1E9-4992-AEFD-E9F6120347A9.jpeg

352FCA68-B641-4726-9595-0FC1F3658840.jpeg

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Seems like a great idea for an RV share. If I still lived in California I would love the idea of being able to camp in Pismo Beach. Pismo has a special spot for me as my wife and I spent a few days in Pismo for our honeymoon.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Seems like a great idea for an RV share. If I still lived in California I would love the idea of being able to camp in Pismo Beach. Pismo has a special spot for me as my wife and I spent a few days in Pismo for our honeymoon.

I love Pismo. It is my favorite beachside location in California. It is not so overdeveloped like LA and San Diego. There are some great ocean view restaurants. I hope they are still open. I think Pismo Coast Village is one of the few beachside RV resorts in the country.

BTW, where do you live now? Where did you live in California? Why did you leave?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I love Pismo. It is my favorite beachside location in California. It is not so overdeveloped like LA and San Diego. There are some great ocean view restaurants. I hope they are still open. I think Pismo Coast Village is one of the few beachside RV resorts in the country.

BTW, where do you live now? Where did you live in California? Why did you leave?
We used to stop in Pismo Beach for a night or two on our way back to the Bay Area from southern California over the Thanksgiving holiday. We had brief thoughts of retiring there.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We used to stop in Pismo Beach for a night or two on our way back to the Bay Area from southern California over the Thanksgiving holiday. We had brief thoughts of retiring there.

I would retire in Pismo in a heart beat. It is so beautiful. However, we love living in the mountains where we live in the Sierra Foothills. We feel we can have the best of both worlds by visiting our fifth wheel in Pismo.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I would retire in Pismo in a heart beat. It is so beautiful. However, we love living in the mountains where we live in the Sierra Foothills. We feel we can have the best of both worlds by visiting our fifth wheel in Pismo.
There wasn't enough for us to do in Pismo Beach full time.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There wasn't enough for us to do in Pismo Beach full time.

What prevented you from retiring in Pismo? How did you decide on Santa Fe? I heard that Santa Fe is booming with many transplants.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
What prevented you from retiring in Pismo? How did you decide on Santa Fe? I heard that Santa Fe is booming with many transplants.
As I said Pismo Beach was just too small, not enough to do. I don't know about the cost of homes as we really never got very serious about retiring there. All of the places where we might have seriously considered retiring were too expensive. And to be honest it's been really nice to get away from the traffic. I do miss being close to the ocean, which is why I enjoy our trips to San Francisco, Maui and the East Coast so much.

We decided on Santa Fe after visiting it over one of our dds' Spring Breaks. We visited more after dh's sister and her husband moved here. We like it because it's not as crowded as California. We love Santa Fe as there is so much to do and get involved with here. It is the state capitol so it's hopping a lot of the time. There are museums, galleries, symphony, opera (although we're not opera fans). In normal times there are lots of markets. We have felt at home ever since we moved here, and we moved only knowing two people in town. There is also a lot of outdoor life. Skiing is close (again, we don't ski but if we did we could get to a ski area quickly).

Yes, there are a lot of people who have retired here from other places. And that might be why it's been easy to meet people since so many of us are in the same boat.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As I said Pismo Beach was just too small, not enough to do. I don't know about the cost of homes as we really never got very serious about retiring there. All of the places where we might have seriously considered retiring were too expensive. And to be honest it's been really nice to get away from the traffic. I do miss being close to the ocean, which is why I enjoy our trips to San Francisco, Maui and the East Coast so much.

We decided on Santa Fe after visiting it over one of our dds' Spring Breaks. We visited more after dh's sister and her husband moved here. We like it because it's not as crowded as California. We love Santa Fe as there is so much to do and get involved with here. It is the state capitol so it's hopping a lot of the time. There are museums, galleries, symphony, opera (although we're not opera fans). In normal times there are lots of markets. We have felt at home ever since we moved here, and we moved only knowing two people in town. There is also a lot of outdoor life. Skiing is close (again, we don't ski but if we did we could get to a ski area quickly).

Yes, there are a lot of people who have retired here from other places. And that might be why it's been easy to meet people since so many of us are in the same boat.

I have been wanting to visit Santa Fe for a long time. Maybe after Covid, we can visit. It sounds really nice.

In terms of cost of living, yes, Pismo is expensive like most of California. It is a lot less expensive than the Bay Area, though.

Brett

Reaction score
We just booked a week at the end of August at our RV timeshare in Pismo Beach directly on the ocean. I am so excited because we have not been there in a long time. I was able to get 5 consecutive days and I can add on Labor Day weekend on August 4th when the reservations open up. We are shareholders and we get up to 45 days per year for no extra cost. There are no MFs either because maintenance for the resort is covered by rental income. It only costs about $1000 per year to store our RV with the resort and $90 round trip for the resort to tow our RV back and forth from storage each time we visit. The nice thing is when we book a reservation, the resort automatically knows we have our RV stored with them so they automatically make the reservation for towing. We used to store our RV outside the resort and that would entail two extra calls to a private tower and then another call to the RV storage to let them know the tower would be coming. Now it is all easy peasy.

The reason we bought a share is because Pismo Coast is the most popular RV destination in California outside of the state and national parks. It is really difficult to book there if you do not have shareholder priority. Some families have up to 3 shares because they love it so much. That is the maximum number of shares allowed because they do not want any full time RVers staying there. The nice thing about the shares is that they appreciate over time. We paid about $36K for a share a few years ago. In 2012, the shares were selling for about $28K. That was when I originally wanted to buy a share but my DH was hesitant because we had just purchased our motorhome and he wanted to see more places first. Shares are hard to come by and we were on the waiting list for almost a year.

We have a fifth wheel and they tow it to our assigned spot before we arrive. It Is so easy. We used to have a motorhome that we would drive to various places but we discovered our favorite place in California is Pismo Beach. So we sold our 32’ motorhome and bought a DRV 38 RSBB3 Mobile Suite luxury fifth wheel (it measures 40’ 6” end to end and is about 400 sf inside). We ordered our fifth wheel direct from the manufacturer custom made to have the options we wanted. We have a king size bed, full size refrigerator, electric reclining lounge chairs, real wood cabinets, full size shower, 2 TVs, fireplace, ceiling fans, washer dryer and dishwasher too. It is like having our own condo on the beach!

I am also going to book Thanksgiving and Christmas at Pismo Beach since I doubt we will want to fly anywhere this year.

View attachment 23505

View attachment 23506

yes, that's glamping ;)
not the usual RV park

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

I used to live in Ventura which is great little beach community too. Work brought me to New Jersey but since I own GPP in Carlsbad I feel like I still have a foot in the door in California. Next time we are back in California we plan on taking our boys to Pismo.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone's plans recently change?
We ended up in Orlando for a resort stay for 2 weeks in early June-mostly cooked at resort or did takeout. Very much needed change of scenery. Pool open and physically distance loungers and cleaning between guests was appreciated.
Then we did a 10 day road trip end of June/early July through Iowa, through Minnesota to South Dakota (and a day trip to devil's Tower WY). Lots of hikes in big beautiful state and national parks! Lots of outside patio dining (although we stayed in residential hotels with kitchens and did eat in some too). Being outdoors and able to physically distance easily and not have to think about the damn virus (much-masks were worn when the few times we were indoors: grocery, visitor centers, museums) was a much needed mental health re-charge. The most people we saw was on our way down from Devil's Tower. The day we went the parking lot at the base was being resurfaced, so to get to the base and trail around it you had a 1.5 mile hike UP first. We went early in am, not many people but a few hours later going down was a steady stream hiking up. Brisk breeze felt good.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We just pushed a trip to Marco (South Florida) to the last week of August.
I see one of three scenarios happening between now + then:
-- We'll be winning against COVID and everyone can breathe easier.
-- We'll still be losing the war and they'll close everything down, again.
-- Most of South Florida is in the hospital or dead on the streets.

With scenarios #1 or #3, we can still go.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just pushed a trip to Marco (South Florida) to the last week of August.
I see one of three scenarios happening between now + then:
-- We'll be winning against COVID and everyone can breathe easier.
-- We'll still be losing the war and they'll close everything down, again.
-- Most of South Florida is in the hospital or dead on the streets.

With scenarios #1 or #3, we can still go.
Or cases controlled and (sensible) measures in place to keep it that way. Hope it works out!