• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travel Insurance through Chase Sapphire Preferred

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I noticed that Chase Sapphire Preferred offers travel insurance that include trip cancellation and other things. Is this the same as what I would get with Allianz, TravelEx and the other travel insurers out there? What are the differences? Would you still need to purchase individual insurance if you are paying with this credit card?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Be sure to read the fine print. I have trip insurance through my Chase United credit card. But I found out the hard way it only applies to Common Carrier issues. I was trying to get reimbursed for lodging that we were charged for and cancelled after their cancellation date. So, for any trip where I have prepaid for lodging I will take out additional insurance. I use Squaremouth to figure out the best policy for me for the trip I'm taking.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Be sure to read the fine print. I have trip insurance through my Chase United credit card. But I found out the hard way it only applies to Common Carrier issues. I was trying to get reimbursed for lodging that we were charged for and cancelled after their cancellation date. So, for any trip where I have prepaid for lodging I will take out additional insurance. I use Squaremouth to figure out the best policy for me for the trip I'm taking.
+1 for www.squaremouth.com

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed that Chase Sapphire Preferred offers travel insurance that include trip cancellation and other things. Is this the same as what I would get with Allianz, TravelEx and the other travel insurers out there? What are the differences? Would you still need to purchase individual insurance if you are paying with this credit card?
You can compare coverages line-by-line on Squaremouth. Beware that your health insurance may or may not include coverage outside the USA. MEDICARE DOES NOT. An accident or illness outside your country of residence can REALLY ruin your day.

Jim

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have claimed through Chase Sapphire Reserve and got back more than 10k for a cancelled cruise due to a medical situation. They paid every non refundable item. I am on a video call right now with a doctor and I will fill in the details after the call.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have claimed through Chase Sapphire Reserve and got back more than 10k for a cancelled cruise due to a medical situation. They paid every non refundable item. I am on a video call right now with a doctor and I will fill in the details after the call.

So do you not buy separate travel insurance?

I paid for one of the deposits for the Royal Caribbean cruise with my Amercian card but I assume if I pay the balance with my Chase card, then it could be covered. Maybe I can buy a small annual travel insurance plan to cover misc travel items in case I forgot to charge something to Chase.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

What are common carrier issues?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So do you not buy separate travel insurance?

I paid for one of the deposits for the Royal Caribbean cruise with my Amercian card but I assume if I pay the balance with my Chase card, then it could be covered. Maybe I can buy a small annual travel insurance plan to cover misc travel items in case I forgot to charge something to Chase.
Nope. But I had also made sure that every expense was put on the CSR card. I had also used Chase Ultimate points for the air tickets and I was reimbursed in cash, at 1.5 rate.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So... I had a cruise booked and 3 days before I had a medical event in which my doctor advised me not to travel. I had used Ultimate Rewards points to book part of the air, and cash on the rest of the air. I had some non-refundable taxi pick-up service in Rome and a couple of other bookings. I made sure I cancelled all shore excursions before I informed the cruise line that I had to cancel.

In the end, CSR paid every line item which I submitted, amounting to more than 10K. I did get back another $4K refundable items directly. I did put all charges on CSR. Their adjuster was through Allianz so I never dealt directly with CSR.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I usually rely on Chase Reserve for air and land travel related expenses, and put flights on card. Most hotels are free nights so can cancel.

We buy travel insurance primarily for medical and medical evacuation on international land travel. Just recently added cruise costs because nonrefundable. Unclear if ship will cover medical.

We rely on Chase Reserve and existing health insurance for domestic travel.

+1 for Squaremouth but sometimes get better deal direct. We used Costco Zurich for upcoming internstional cruise because it was less than Squaremouth options. We were able to add Cancel for Any Reason for only $98 more whereas Squaremouth had no options for this coverage.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For 2 years I added GeoBlue Trekker insurance on top of the CSR coverage. I stopped when COVID caused us to cancel all international travel plans.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
What are common carrier issues?
“Common Carrier” is typically defined as any public, ticketed transportation, such as a flight, bus or train.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does Chase Sapphire Reserved or other travel insurance cover timeshare weeks or points or do you need to but insurance through the timeshare company such as Marriott?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Chase Sapphire Reserved or other travel insurance cover timeshare weeks or points or do you need to but insurance through the timeshare company such as Marriott?
I think it is a matter whether you have used CSR to cover maintenance fees and a way to trace it back. Personally, I would rather buy MVC travel insurance than to rely on CSR as most "regular" claims adjusters would have a difficult time trying to figure it out.

Then, there is specific insurance. I had used 18K MVC points for a Collette tour about a month ago, for a 15-day trip to UK and Ireland. Collette sold me their land insurance because I did not buy air tickets through them. Silly me, I didn't think of it, but I should have bought air tickets through them and gotten the extensive insurance. Anyway, I caught COVID after 6 days and had to quarantine for 5 days before returning home. I assume that the extra $2K that we spent to fly out from London instead of Dublin aren't covered by the land insurance. I no longer have CSR as I had cancelled the card during COVID as I didn't think I would ever fly again. Collette sold a specific insurance for MVC points, presumably the adjuster will contact MVC to come up with the cost. I have put in a claim and I am waiting...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Chase only covers up to $100k for evacuation. If serious medical and long distance I have heard it can be $250k or more.
It certainly can. $100k should be fine for domestic US, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean. Western Europe to/from the US is pushing it. I tell folks it's about $10k per loaded flight hour depending on the complexity of the evac. Aus/NZ <->US easily hits $250k. If you're going that far, look for $500k in evacuation.

Ixchel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Ocean
Marriott Vacation Club
Shell Vacation Club SFW
Does anyone know if CHase Sapphire Preferred will cover travel-related medical if a tour is booked with MVC points, and only the cash deposit that is required is booked with CSP? The fine print says the entire amount of travel must be through Chase-- how does that work if MVC Trust Points are used for the tour?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if CHase Sapphire Preferred will cover travel-related medical if a tour is booked with MVC points, and only the cash deposit that is required is booked with CSP? The fine print says the entire amount of travel must be through Chase-- how does that work if MVC Trust Points are used for the tour?
Did you use your Chase Sapphire Preferred card to pay for your MVC Trust points maintenance fees? If not, for sure it is not covered if you have to cancel. However, if you paid for air tickets and then you had a medical while travelling, you should be able to file a claim for the doctor's office visit.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
I think Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve to cover cancellation and interruption costs, and Allianz Annual (orTrip) Insurance with the minimum cancellation and interruption they offer (I think $2000) is the way to go. Reminder: if you need "cancel for any reason" insurance, this isn't it. It basically covers calamities, like death, accident. illness, and I think job loss.

CSP has NO medical coverage. And I agree that CSR's is too little for international trips.

My CSP has paid for cancellations with no fuss -- just provide proof of loss and proof of covered reason.

It also paid for a damaged windshield on a rental car in New Zealand, also with no fuss.

I think that the evacuation coverage for both CSR and Allianz is only to the nearest hospital that can treat you, not to one near your home.

I would not count on it working for a timeshare stay, because of the difficulty of tracing annual fees to cost of stay, although it's common enough it might work.

Ixchel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Ocean
Marriott Vacation Club
Shell Vacation Club SFW
Did you use your Chase Sapphire Preferred card to pay for your MVC Trust points maintenance fees? If not, for sure it is not covered if you have to cancel. However, if you paid for air tickets and then you had a medical while travelling, you should be able to file a claim for the doctor's office visit.
No. I use my Chase Bonvoy card to book MF each year, for the bonus points. Air is usually booked with AmEx.