• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travel Insurance for whole vacation or just cruise?

jmatias

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're thinking about travel insurance for our July/Aug vacation.

Here's the plans:

July 24-29 Orlando
July 29-Aug 5 Caribbean cruise
Aug 5-10 Orlando

Since this is peak hurricane season should I look to insure the entire trip or just the cruise?

Thanks for any help!

PR1NCESSD1ANE

Reaction score
jmatias said:
We're thinking about travel insurance for our July/Aug vacation.

Here's the plans:

July 24-29 Orlando
July 29-Aug 5 Caribbean cruise
Aug 5-10 Orlando

Since this is peak hurricane season should I look to insure the entire trip or just the cruise?

Thanks for any help!

I'm certainly not an expert, but here's what I would do. Typically it is the cruise itself that is non-refundable, however hotel stays in most situations only require a one night deposit. Insure whatever you cannot get a refund on.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Some travel insurance policies base benefits on whether or not the entire cost of the trip was insured or not. If you want travel delay covered in the event you miss your flight home for a covered reason, you at least need to cover the cost of the cruise, the airline tickets and have the date you leave home and the date you return home.

Read any policy you're thinking about buying carefully. I lost $1,400 because of a clause in our policy which stipulated any trip interuption/delay had to be caused by very specific circumstances. I've since found policies that aren't as restrictive and won't go back to the company that denied our claim. They might be a good company but to many restricitions give them to many loop holes to deny a claim.

At the moment, I'm favoring CSA and Travelex companies. CSA will cover pre-exisiting conditions if purchased within 24 hours of FINAL payment. Most won't cover pre-exisiting conditions unless it's purchased within 15 days of the initial cruise deposit.

There's a lot of information available about several companies at http://www.insuremytrip.com