• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transportation from Newark and JFK to Manhatten

barbg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two questions... my 23 year old son will be arriving in Newark ...what transportation method would you recommend for him getting into Manhatten? He's a seasoned traveler.

The rest of us (3 people) will be arriving at JFK and need to get to Manhatten... should we take a Super Shuttle or consider another method?

Thanks!

S

Steamboat Bill

I personally think a cab is the easiest and fastest to Newark (and even JFK), but the train option can save a lot of money.

I just hate taking the train if I have some luggage with me.

rsnash

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
At EWR a cab should be no problem. Sometimes there is a queue that takes 5-15 mintues, but there are always more cabs pulling up. There is a "dispatcher" who will ask you where you are going, they give you a flat rate, plus tolls & tip. Train to NYC is possible if on a budget, but I've never done it as we live in NJ.

From JFK - whatever you do (I recommend car service or shuttle reservation), make sure to have arrangements done ahead of time. Whenever we've flown into there, the taxi line was huge (that is the line of people waiting for non-existent taxis). Last time, we ended up snagging someone else's car service, (driver complained he'd been looking for his passenger for over an hour so was happy to get the fair), but it cost about twice what a taxi would have.

I think the lack of taxis is because the traffic approaching JFK sucks and people use taxis more in and around that area. So, taxi drivers have other options to pick up fairs. In NJ, taxi use for regular stuff (just getting around, but not to an airport), just isn't as prevalent as most people have cars. And, the traffic around EWR on a bad day is never as bad as the traffic approaching JFK on a regular day.

Therefore, I recommend you not rely on just grabbing a cab at JFK.

The shuttle will be a per person price, so it may work out cheaper to hire a car service. And, pay extra to have the driver park and wait with a sign. It can be chaos outside by the pickup area, and hard to spot the car with your name sign in the window.

Piper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two questions... my 23 year old son will be arriving in Newark ...what transportation method would you recommend for him getting into Manhatten? He's a seasoned traveler.

Years ago, I flew to Newark often (when there were $29 rates from DC to Newark!) and I would take the bus from the airport to NYC. I think it was a Greyhound. It was cheap, easy and reliable. It came into Port Authority Terminal (42nd and 8th) an it was easy to hop a subway to anyplace from there.

S

Steamboat Bill

Getting from JFK to Manhattan (& back):

* Public Transit:
o Take the quick and easy AirTrain. Consult the New York City Subway Map to determine the best connections to take to get to your destination. $2 subway fare (available 24 hours). If you return to JFK via subway, make sure to take the A train marked Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park, NOT Lefferts Blvd.
o For other public transit options, including suburban areas and the five boroughs, consult JFK Transportation Options or the MTA's Airport Service information.

yumdrey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend taxi from JFK to manhattan. I always had heavy traffic that way, regardless time.

mrmarty91

TUG Member
Reaction score
From Newark I would take the train. Unless he has a lot of luggage the train, IMO, is by far the best option. The cost is $15 one way and it runs on time most of the time. Traffic getting into Manhattan can be a bad depending on when you go in. I don't think there is any advantage to taking the bus. The train takes you into Penn Station (33rd and 7th) and takes less than half an hour. He can than take the subway, taxi or walk (you did say he was 23) from there. Here is the link for the weekday schedule.

I'm don't really know about JFK.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainSchedulesFrom

mbh

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a native New Yorker who has done this many times, I make the following recommendations:

1- Son - Train into Manhattan. The Airport Airtrain takes you to the New Jersey Transit station where you catch the train into Penn Station in Mnahattan. $15 for the combination ride.

2- Rest of Family - Cab from JFK unless you have no luggage and more time. As stated in the prior post, cab is $45 plus $5 toll plus tip. Air Train and Subway combination is $7 per person but there are no luggage racks on the subway and you have to lug your bags from the Air Train to the subway.

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did the Air train to Long Island Railroad to Manhattan on our recent flight from JKF to Aruba.

Since we had only carryon's it was no big deal. Made us feel adventous trying something new. It will same you money and is an easy ride. Thanks to tuggers for advising us to try the train to JFK.