• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transferring a Marriott deeded week w/ a LOAN?

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok experts, I come here seeking help.

I have found a week that I want to purchase. There is still a loan on it through Marriott from the original purchase.

1) Can I just take over the loan? OR will it need to be paid off prior to transfer?

2) LT doesn't do Hawaii any longer if $ changes hands, and the next company I found won't touch anything with a loan on it. Ideas on where to look to do the deed/title transfer?

Thanks a bunch in advance everyone!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The mortgage holder has to approve you to take over the loan. If you don't do this step, the deed will be in your name, and the loan will stay in the original owner's name.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
In most traditional real estate transactions the loan has to be paid off and a new loan established. I don’t know if this is something Marriott will do. They might let you take over the loan as DeniseM mentioned but they didn’t base the loan off your credit. I think it’s slim chances they let you take it over.

Renzo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin lagunamar/Marriott
Ok experts, I come here seeking help.

I have found a week that I want to purchase. There is still a loan on it through Marriott from the original purchase.

1) Can I just take over the loan? OR will it need to be paid off prior to transfer?

2) LT doesn't do Hawaii any longer if $ changes hands, and the next company I found won't touch anything with a loan on it. Ideas on where to look to do the deed/title transfer?

Thanks a bunch in advance everyone!
Timeshare loans are assumable, so you should be able to take over the loan, and sign a promissory note.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshare loans are assumable, so you should be able to take over the loan, and sign a promissory note.

Would we need to contact Marriott to take care of this?

Secondly, which title/transfer company would be willing to handle such a transfer for a Hawaii deeded week?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The logical first step is to call Marriott Sales with all the details regarding the proposed transaction. They may or may not be able to help but IMO they are in the driver's seat and will have to acquiesce or you will never get the deal done.

George

Renzo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would contact Marriott first yes. And ask all questions you can.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Any Hawaiian title company would be familiar with the process, once you sort out the loan situation. Can you elaborate on LT? They have done a couple of Hawaii transfers for me using a poor man's escrow, i.e., they held check pending transfer completion. Just wondered if that had changed.

I used Old Republic Title for my first Maui purchase, via the broker.
Could call or email and ask:
T: 808.522.0356 |
ckawachi@oldrepublictitle.com

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would not call Marriott SALES - I would call their title office.

Renzo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sales of course. Marriott Corp

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If Marriott will allow the loan to be assumed, then you could take over the loan as indicated in post #4. Are you going to carry the loan or pay it off right away? If you have the cash to outright buy the week, just do that. The closing agent will request a payoff amount from Marriott and send amounts from the sale to Marriott to pay the loan off so transfer can occur. Just like buying a house that has a mortgage against it.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any Hawaiian title company would be familiar with the process, once you sort out the loan situation. Can you elaborate on LT? They have done a couple of Hawaii transfers for me using a poor man's escrow, i.e., they held check pending transfer completion. Just wondered if that had changed.

I used Old Republic Title for my first Maui purchase, via the broker.
Could call or email and ask:
T: 808.522.0356 |
ckawachi@oldrepublictitle.com

Yes. LT will no longer touch a transfer in Hawaii in which ANY $ changes hands. Per their attorney's suggestion. I too had done poor man's in the past. No dice any longer. I was even willing to pay the buyer directly without them touching the funds. Nope. They no longer do it. They are still my first choice for any timeshare deed transfer anywhere else.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Marriott will allow the loan to be assumed, then you could take over the loan as indicated in post #4. Are you going to carry the loan or pay it off right away? If you have the cash to outright buy the week, just do that. The closing agent will request a payoff amount from Marriott and send amounts from the sale to Marriott to pay the loan off so transfer can occur. Just like buying a house that has a mortgage against it.

I could pay it off and buy it outright. Though, the loan would actually be easier for me, as it wouldn't dump my savings down to minimal levels. Only has 14 months/payment left. I guess it's time to call Marriott Title tomorrow.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I could pay it off and buy it outright. Though, the loan would actually be easier for me, as it wouldn't dump my savings down to minimal levels. Only has 14 months/payment left. I guess it's time to call Marriott Title tomorrow.
As noted, you will need the lender's approval to do the transfer and thus be responsible for the loan. I'd be concerned about paying it off and then the deal not going through or losing it to ROFR. Doing this through a full service closing company will be your best bet but it will be a more expensive process. The best bet otherwise is to talk the seller into paying it off themselves then just buy it and you'll have more closing options that are likely cheaper. IMO it'd have to be a good enough deal to lose the payoff, pay the extra closing and still be worthwhile.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did give the seller the option for him to pay it in full and then I pay him our agreed upon price. Not sure if he has the means or not. But that's one option for sure.