• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transfer expertise needed

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert, Marriott Grand Chateau, Grand Solmar at Land's End
I have a simple question. I have purchased timeshares before from the Developer, resales, and straight up give aways. In each case all the paperwork was handled by the seller or their agent on their behalf. All monies were paid in accordance to the usual protocols ie: deposit, escrow, etc...

How does one handle a purchase from one owner to another owner where they are both members the resort? The Developer is handling the paperwork for the transfer fee, but not the sales price. The seller doesn't want to wait to receive their money "after" the transfer is completed because they could get stiffed and they would have given away their timeshare interest. The buyer doesn't want to pay "prior" to the transfer being completed because if there is a snag or it doesn't get completed getting their money back could be difficult or impossible if not dealing with a good person. Dilemma.

My question: When and how to send the money of the purchase price where both the buyer and seller feel comfortable in completing the transaction.

Thank you for your opinions and expertise.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
You need a mutually agreeable escrow agent to hold the money (which can be someone other than the resort processing the paperwork). The instructions would be that the seller gets paid when the escrow agent is informed that the transfer is complete -- and that the purchase price is refunded to buyer if the transfer is not complete by "x" date.

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You need a mutually agreeable escrow agent to hold the money (which can be someone other than the resort processing the paperwork). The instructions would be that the seller gets paid when the escrow agent is informed that the transfer is complete -- and that the purchase price is refunded to buyer if the transfer is not complete by "x" date.
Thanks Robert. Off hand, do you know if LT Transfers handles escrow monies?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Robert. Off hand, do you know if LT Transfers handles escrow monies?

Yes they do. I *think* there might be an additional fee for escrow, but it's on their form (do you want to use escrow services)

Rich S

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes they do. I *think* there might be an additional fee for escrow, but it's on their form (do you want to use escrow services)
Excellent. Thank you. I will give them a call. I have done business with them before and I was pleased with their work.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
LT charged me $50 for the escrow option a few months ago. Very reasonable IMO.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip> ...do you know if LT Transfers handles escrow monies?

LT Transfers actually utilizes a local (to LTT's location in GA) attorney for the escrow of funds. The additional cost for escrow was $50 when last I knew. In any case, the short answer is yes and LT Transfers is definitely the way to go. Nice folks --- and competent too.

Last edited:

Robin4

Reaction score
This is y first post on TUG (well, other than advertising timeshare at The Cliffs at Peace Canyon) and I just wanted to say thank you to all who give their time to help other timeshare owners answer questions that they have. This thread struck a chord with me as I have offered to pay all transfer / closing fees on the timeshare I want to give away but as I live Scotland, I have not a clue about how to go about this. The systems in the UK and USA are so very different (and not only in relation to timeshare) so have found info on various posts here very helpful.