• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading Places

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi
I got an email from Trading Places, they say if you deposit a week by the end of the month, they give you two bonus weeks plus your exchange. I haven’t dealt with them before, but they gave me a membership number. Any info good or bad about them before I take their offer seriously?
Thanks !

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used trading places a lot. They are great if you want to go where they have inventory, west, mexico, hawaii is the focus. You can look at what is available as well as bonus weeks. They do charge for upgrade in size or season. My one .complaint is if you cancel They charge you $100 plus you lose your exchange fee. You do get your week back. Fes are lower than the big boys.

The bonus weeks can be used for anything listed In The bonus week section. I think the fee is $299. Most bonus weeks are within 90 days although do occasionally have bonus weeks further out

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
A number of owners at the OBX resort that we own our week to use it have used Trading Places and are happy with it. With any exchange company, one has to look at where their inventory is and whether this matches where you want to go. I have traded through a number of independents, specifically DAE Europe, DAE US, DAE Australia, SFX, and UKRE, and have been pleased with all of them. On the other hand, RCI is a company I was once extremely pleased with but new owners made changes that put them in the crapper as far as I am concerned. I bailed out of RCI years ago and would not go back on a bet.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I use Trading Places Maui, but I don't think they are affiliated with Trading Places.

schenriq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading Places Intl. is the manager for one of our weeks so we get free (basic) membership and their exchange fee is lower vs RCI's. I've only used them once during the great American eclipse to exchange into Yellowstone so we could drive to WY for the total eclipse. I recall it being a straightforward exchange. I don't mind using them again for an exchange to Hawaii in the future.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it much easier to get ski weeks with them than RCI or II. They will even have bonus weeks sometimes you can get for really low rates.

tprosser100

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny that you ask……..I was just trying to exchange with them and have in the past. But…….they are wanting to charge extra fees for an exchange from a 2bd room to a 3 bedroom and also a mid season exchange to a high season exchange. I am not sure when they started adding these additional fees but it’s funny to me that they would not charge me less if I was exchanging a 2 bedroom into a 1 bedroom.

In my opinion, they are also charging me additional fees to extend my deposited week even though I deposited it at the start of Covid and could not travel for over a year. They want to charge $298 to extend my week for 2 years.

They seem to nickel and dime you every way possible. I don’t care for this approach but they my have a week that works for your purposes.

It’s just frustrating to work with a company like this. I even asked them if they could help with the extension fee because of Covid…….and they said no because people were still traveling during that time. I don’t care for their lack of flexibility here.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Funny that you ask……..I was just trying to exchange with them and have in the past. But…….they are wanting to charge extra fees for an exchange from a 2bd room to a 3 bedroom and also a mid season exchange to a high season exchange. I am not sure when they started adding these additional fees but it’s funny to me that they would not charge me less if I was exchanging a 2 bedroom into a 1 bedroom.

In my opinion, they are also charging me additional fees to extend my deposited week even though I deposited it at the start of Covid and could not travel for over a year. They want to charge $298 to extend my week for 2 years.

They seem to nickel and dime you every way possible. I don’t care for this approach but they my have a week that works for your purposes.

It’s just frustrating to work with a company like this. I even asked them if they could help with the extension fee because of Covid…….and they said no because people were still traveling during that time. I don’t care for their lack of flexibility here.

They have had those fees for years, as long as I have been using them. As long as you keep those rules in mind when you are depositing, they don't affect us.

I always deposit a 2 bedroom and have never needed any larger but if I did I wouldn't mind paying the fee to get what I need.

I also, always deposit a holiday week so I avoid that fee also.

I didn't have any weeks I couldn't use during COVID so I don't know about that. I also don't know that the other exchange companies did during that time.

The key is knowing about the fees before you deposit. If you do, they can be avoided. shaka

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves is they charge you$100 to cancel. You get your week and lose the exchange fee. Having to pay $100 on top of that irks me

RubyD

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI, you can extend for a shorter period of time. It doesn't have to be two years.

RubyD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Their upcharges and cancellation fees really irk me too!

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Their upcharges and cancellation fees really irk me too!
How much are these fees? I have signed up for a free account, and may deposit something sometime. Overall, fees seem lower than RCI or II. I also like that their inventory is online (unlike SFX).

Also, what is the fee (exchange fee) to book something with a certificate through them?

tprosser100

TUG Member
Reaction score
$169 exchange fee
$200 unit upgrade fee
$100 season upgrade fee
$149 1 year extension fee

Just feels like they want to nickel and dime their exchangers. But again, if you find a week that works for you without all the additional fees, could work out well. My exchange that I described above was going to cost me $767 because I had to extend my week for 2 years. I thought........might as well look for a last minute discounted rental on TUG instead of paying Trading Places virtually the same amount.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
$169 exchange fee
$200 unit upgrade fee
$100 season upgrade fee

Just feels like they want to nickel and dime their exchangers. But again, if you find a week that works for you without all the additional fees, could work out well. My exchange that I described above was going to cost me $767 because I had to extend my week for 2 years. I thought........might as well look for a last minute discounted rental on TUG instead of paying Trading Places virtually the same amount.

And on the other end of the spectrum, I always deposit the size unit I need so never an upgrade fee. I always deposit a Holiday week so never a season fee and I always find something in 2 years. I usually only deposit when I need something.

So with a little planning, I get my exchanges for $169 and bonus weeks for $229. shaka

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
$169 exchange fee
$200 unit upgrade fee
$100 season upgrade fee

If you deposit a prime summer week (Mid-Atlantic) will they charge you an upgrade to book a Thanksgiving week somewhere that it is not peak season?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you deposit a prime summer week (Mid-Atlantic) will they charge you an upgrade to book a Thanksgiving week somewhere that it is not peak season?

Yes, I believe so. That's why you book a holiday week.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I believe so. That's why you book a holiday week.
Not that easy to do if you own a fixed week non-holiday (but prime) week you wish to trade.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not that easy to do if you own a fixed week non-holiday (but prime) week you wish to trade.

That's true. All my weeks float 1-52.

timesharer

Reaction score
$169 exchange fee
$200 unit upgrade fee
$100 season upgrade fee

I was charged the unit upgrade fee $50 for an exchange. According to Trading places, the maximum occupancy for that unit is 6 and my deposit week 1 bedroom sleeps 4.
But RCI directory states the one bedroom of that resort sleeps 4.

"Unit and/or Season upgrades are available for a fee, and are subject to availability. Unit upgrade fees are based on number of bedrooms and maximum occupancy. Seasonality is determined by TPI and may be resort and/or area specific."

Last edited:

WilliammLesly

Reaction score
I was resting and they tried to take me an additional fee and it did not suit me! And the same thing they say that it's your worries we have such prices ((((

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They charge for season upgrades but I don't think they charge for holiday upgrades it is just red for red, blue for blue or white for white. If you have a white week and want to book red it is an upgrade.

Platinum interchange charges for holiday upgrades and there are a lot of them.

timesharer

Reaction score
TPI does not give us a discount/credit for unit/season downgrading .

For example, when I traded a one bedroom red week to a two bedroom blue/white week, I still had to pay the $200 unit upgrade fee.

slabeaume

Reaction score
I just tried giving them a Bali Hai week and Wyndham denied it. Even though I've done it several times in the past, Wyndham now says I must have that many points at Bali Hai before I can give the week to Trading Places. Even though I have a million points, I only have about 168,000 with Bali Hai---so will never be able to trade with Trading Places again. Anyone else have that happen?