• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading power of Southern California winter weeks

jennstall

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been browsing Ebay looking for an inexpensive timeshare for the Oceanside, CA area or thereabouts and it seems like most of the weeks that become available and are in my price range (cheap!) are usually weeks 1-8 and weeks 48-50. That's fine for me since as long as I continue to live in the Northeast I'll probably generally be in Cali in Jan/Feb. anyway, but I'd like to get an idea of what their trading power might be for that time of year? Are South Cali. beach towns great year round or only in the summer? The weather's certainly better than Boston that time of year, but probably not as warm as some other places. What do you think?

Also, do any of the Southern California beach town resorts between San Diego and Aneheim have low maintenance fees? I'm kinda boggling over fees between $600-850 or so. I think I saw some that were even more!

Oh, and as far as what I need for trading power, I almost never travel anywhere in the summer because I hate crowds and outrageous airfares. I'm usually a Fall and Spring traveller although I'm hoping to become bicoastal within the next year or two and spend most of my winters in Cali (I just need to pick up some really cheap timeshares).

Edit: Wow, I can't believe this is the first time I've posted here. I've been lurking for months LOL

Last edited:

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most So Cal beach timeshares are $600+ in Maint fees, with a few exceptions.

One of the most affordable and best traders is Sand Pebbles in Solano Beach.
Another option is one of the Grand Pacific resorts
www.grandpacificresorts.com

They are all nice resorts and they have a compnay wide 1-4 rule with RCI. So unless you own one, you cannot trade back in for 4 years. So it might be worth the extra cost in Maint fees, to allow you to access these resorts more often.

Winter weeks do not trade very well. If you cannot afford summer. I would buy a spring break week. I own a few and they trade very well.

jennstall

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I think I've seen some Solano Beach on Ebay. I'll have to check that out.

What weeks would be considered "Spring break" weeks most years? I'm assuming they would generally fall into mid-March and mid-April, so would it be week 12 to week 16 or thereabouts? I'll probably still pick up a winter week to use, but if I found a nice trader for Spring Break that might have some possibilities.

Thanks for the quick reply!

jennstall

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That's okay if it is not right on the beach. Great mtce fee! I'm going to be at Wave Crest in Del Mar for a couple of days in February. I might pop by Sand Pebbles and take a look around.

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wave Crest is a top resort in a very affluent town and usually hard to exchange into -- you are very lucky! Sand Pebbles will not be quite as nice. If you find a week at WC -- it would be a great asset.

jennstall

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got into Wave Crest with my Royal Holiday club points. I would have loved, LOVED to book a whole week there, but all they had was 3 days. I debated about booking Ramona for a week because that's available the week before my Wave Crest visit, but right now I have a motel reservation in Oceanside for the rest of my trip. I want to save the rest of my RHC points for London and I don't want to have to stop drinking early at the dive bars in Oceanside in order to drive back to Ramona safely. LOL Wave Crest is at the end of my trip. I figure it is a nice way to cap off my vacation :)

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to search for Laguna Shores- I bought recently, float week Spring/Fall/Winter. They have Effiencies, & 1 bdrms, all M&T are $507 annual.
It's a great little resort, recently re-done and is lovely. And of course, Laguna Beach is great!
As CaliDave said- Grand Pacific Palisades- is really terrific too, I just stayed there last month-beautiful!
...Nice to see another bi-coastal traveler, I have 3 West Coast weeks and will probably add to that....:)

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I got into Wave Crest with my Royal Holiday club points. I would have loved, LOVED to book a whole week there, but all they had was 3 days. I debated about booking Ramona for a week because that's available the week before my Wave Crest visit, but right now I have a motel reservation in Oceanside for the rest of my trip. I want to save the rest of my RHC points for London and I don't want to have to stop drinking early at the dive bars in Oceanside in order to drive back to Ramona safely. LOL Wave Crest is at the end of my trip. I figure it is a nice way to cap off my vacation :)

Gee, sounds like you need more of your RHC points. ;)

jennstall

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sir Newf, I'll definitely keep my eye out for Laguna Shores. I love California. I lived in LA for 7 years and now I'd like to split my time between the West and East Coast. I was thinking about RVing, but I really think timesharing is more of my kind of lifestyle :)