• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading power of a MMOC OV Studio

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven, I've been figuring II out for the last 15 years. II values four things: location, TDI, unit size, and when you deposit.
I would agree except I'd change the TDI to trade power. TDI does not equal trade power as it is not standardized across the system. TDI does give you a way to compare different weeks in the same area/resort but not from one area to another. I'd also add that they put a lot of emphasis on resort quality.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean, you are talking about how well the unit will trade. My statement was how II values the week and determines trading power (in its secret formula). II takes the four items I listed to come up with that. I completely agree with your point, however. An easy example is that a studio in Maui with the highest Maui TDI deposited 12 months out will be a better trader than my Manor Club studio reserved July 4th week deposited 12 months out. The big difference is the location.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean, you are talking about how well the unit will trade. My statement was how II values the week and determines trading power (in its secret formula). II takes the four items I listed to come up with that. I completely agree with your point, however. An easy example is that a studio in Maui with the highest Maui TDI deposited 12 months out will be a better trader than my Manor Club studio reserved July 4th week deposited 12 months out. The big difference is the location.
My thoughts centered around how II determines the actual trade power. As you noted, they don't release that info either how they do it or what the actual trade power is. IMO TDI is only helpful in comparing one week to another in a given area and extremely loosely helpful, almost not at all, for comparing one area to another. Now if they'd standardize it, it'd be totally different. The reason is that TDI isn't standardized. In your example a 150 TDI in Maui has NO relationship to a 150 in Williamsburg. I tend to use my personal experience, draw from that of others such as here at TUG but also cross reference to RCI & rental prices when I need to. Certainly II and RCI are not the exact same but they are far more transparent on what the trade power (TPU) of a given resort is thus I find it very helpful and IMO, it's the most objective option we have to look at this issue. Plus some of the older Marriott's are in RCI which further aides in the comparison. It also appears they don't value the components equally from what I've seen. Historically they've also used the resort qualify as almost an independent factor, I'm not sure where they are now on that component. The other issue that can determine the likelihood of a given trade from a trade power standpoint is the lead time to the exchange.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I would love to see a comparison of a May Maui Marriott studio with a July Marriott Williamsburg 1 BR and also with a July non Marriott 2 BR for prime 1 and 2 BR units both with and without Marriott priority.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to see a comparison of a May Maui Marriott studio with a July Marriott Williamsburg 1 BR and also with a July non Marriott 2 BR for prime 1 and 2 BR units both with and without Marriott priority.
I've participated in a couple of trade tests over the years and it's problematic. It's imperfect because lead time matters, because seeing more deposits does not equate to a higher trade power and because what's online is generally not an indication of the ability of a given unit. Then there's the coordination issue of doing it at exactly the same time. You can look at more available locations like Orlando and Branson and if you see larger units or certain times with one and not the other, you can assume there is a difference but even then you don't know how much. In my experience II penalized studios and off season a lot. Maybe someone with a HI studio and something else that's borderline can play around and tell some differences. I may be able to get an idea from what I own but it's not those specific locations you mentioned. I will say that being successful with a given option is usually not very helpful in looking at this unless one could compile a lot of such data.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Received this in the mail today. A little disappointing. And then I tried to call MVC and I missed the cutoff for work hours today.
Same thing happened to me last week. I had MVC split my week that was previously elected as full villa owner occupy so that I could deposit into II. I got an email and then the postcard. I was actually worried that they had done something wrong, but was able to verify in my account online and everything looked correct. Seems like there is a delay on the MVC side, which is not surprising given all they are having to manage.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Just got off the phone with II. The lady said that for some reason that MVC wouldn't verify the week for deposit but the day after II sent the post card, MVC verified the deposit so it appears that I'm all good.
I'm glad to hear that they took it -- I have to believe someone is going to enjoy that Studio in June at MM1 -- that's a great unit and will go to a good home. Please do let us know what you end up trading it for and I hope you get a terrific uptrade for it.

Best,

Greg

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with II. The lady said that for some reason that MVC wouldn't verify the week for deposit but the day after II sent the post card, MVC verified the deposit so it appears that I'm all good.
I have had a similar issue in previous years, with a time lag between depositing my reserved week(s) with Interval through MVC and Interval actually seeing them as deposited.
The first time this happened, it was rather disconcerting to receive such a letter, but within a couple of days at most Interval could see and process the deposit.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to dig in on II right now with my studio. Here are a couple of things I've been able to find. Better than I expected.

Grand Chateau
  • Thanksgiving in a 2BR with upgrade Fee.
  • Labor day in 2BR with upgrade Fee
SurfWatch
  • October with 2BR and 3BR with Upgrade Fee. This will be tempting with our Fall break.
Beach Place Towers
  • Late June, Mid July and early August 2BR with Upgrade Fee.
Grande Vista and Villas at Doral
  • Good summer availability
Frenchman's Cove
  • 3BR over 4th of July with Upgrade Fee.

Lots at St. Kitts as well over the summer.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ended up booking a week in Park City Mountainside in August. Paid the $198 upgrade fee and now have a 2BR in the first week of August. Kids will still be out of school then and hopefully the resort will be open. We officially cancelled out plans for Maui today so had to get something for the kids to look forward to.

So this week in Park City will run me $451.
Interval Fee - $99
Exchange Fee - $154
Upgrade Fee - $198

Total - $451

For reference:
Marriott Leisure Rate would be $3,782.02
AAA rate would be $3,504.27
2VC rate would be $2,532.69

Decent value for a studio. I'd consider it fair given the MF's that I paid.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s what I expected. People would give an arm and a leg for that studio. II knows that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk