• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading power of a MMOC OV Studio

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I have an OV Studio that is the lock off of my 3br. I’m thinking of dropping into II as we’re almost to the 60 day mark. What kind of trades could this generate? I’m so out of the loop with II.

Originally I was planning to rent for cash but don’t think that is going to happen right now.

I have about a week before I need to deposit. This is in the separate account and Not the corporate account so all fees will apply.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I would imagine it would have excellent trade power. But you will still need to pay the upgrade fees to get a 1 or 2 bedroom. If you deposit with less than 60 days until check in I believe you can only trade in the 60 day window.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would imagine it would have excellent trade power. But you will still need to pay the upgrade fees to get a 1 or 2 bedroom. If you deposit with less than 60 days until check in I believe you can only trade in the 60 day window.

that’s why I’m trying to decide if I should just do it. My week is 2nd week of June. The lockdown in Hawaii may not let up by then and I want to get my week in before Marriott/II block the deposits.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
So I have an OV Studio that is the lock off of my 3br. I’m thinking of dropping into II as we’re almost to the 60 day mark. What kind of trades could this generate? I’m so out of the loop with II.

Originally I was planning to rent for cash but don’t think that is going to happen right now.

I have about a week before I need to deposit. This is in the separate account and Not the corporate account so all fees will apply.
Go to Interval website, look up your resort and check Travel Demand Index. It's pretty good for MMO most of the year, some weeks will be stronger traders than others. You can also look at another resort that you might be more familiar with, for me it's Desert Springs, and you can see how that would do in comparison.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
view doesn't matter so an ocean front has the same trading power as an island view. You will have to pay upgrade fees. While a 1 BR platinum Orlando can see 98% that a 2 BR can see a studio only sees about half of what a 2 BR could see. Hawaii may have a little boost and should be fine for trading into other studios and 1 BR's but don't count on all 2 BR's to show (even with the upgrade fee).

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Trade power should be great except that it is a studio. II really penalizes studios. You will need to use everything that you have to your advantage - Marriott preference, OGS set up as early as possible, paying for the size upgrade, and manual online searches etc. But at least you won't have to deal with flexchange.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've deposited my Marriott Kauai Beach Club lockoff (the smaller side of a 2BR OF, which is basically a hotel room - no kitchen) and it trades very well in Interval. I've used it to get larger units in KBC, Waiohai, and MOC. I'm sure your Maui studio would be as good or better, but those upgrade fees for larger units sure add up.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Steven,

I deposited the Studio lock-off of a Week 24 into II a number of years ago and it was a very powerful deposit. I think it's a good use of the deposit since the rental market right now is so soft. Good luck and let us know what you get for it!

Best,

Greg

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trade power should be great except that it is a studio. II really penalizes studios. You will need to use everything that you have to your advantage .
I don't agree with this. I own a 2BR lock off at Grand Vista and each year I split it and pick the highest TDI in II. I've traded into 2 or 3 bedroom units with the studio every time. Most recently was an ongoing search at Grande Ocean for this may. I've traded back into GV for a 3BR, Barony 2BR (and it was ocean side), etc.

Yours should be betting than mine given Maui, but depositing late may ding it a little bit.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't agree with this. I own a 2BR lock off at Grand Vista and each year I split it and pick the highest TDI in II. I've traded into 2 or 3 bedroom units with the studio every time. Most recently was an ongoing search at Grande Ocean for this may. I've traded back into GV for a 3BR, Barony 2BR (and it was ocean side), etc.

Yours should be betting than mine given Maui, but depositing late may ding it a little bit.
I had a really tough time with my DSVII studio and in fact since I was trading it, it was the main reason that I sold the unit. It was just too difficult to get a good trade. No problems whatsoever with the one bedroom side.

I also had a Club Donatello unit that II treated (rightfully so) as a studio. Again, limited trade opportunities when doing online searches despite using the highest TDI week. Based upon about 7 years of trading those two studios is how I came to my conclusion. I wound up getting good trades every time but it was a lot more work than my one bedroom units required. YMMV of course.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I went ahead and deposited the Studio. Now is where the real learning begins. I don't know what to even use this for.
Start with an OGS for a week adjacent to your 2021 weeks on Maui? Request 2BR and see what happen. Or same but add Kauai?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a really tough time with my DSVII studio and in fact since I was trading it, it was the main reason that I sold the unit. It was just too difficult to get a good trade. No problems whatsoever with the one bedroom side.

Wow, really? There are a number of us who use DSV2 studios into wonderful places in Hawaii and elsewhere. I even traded it into Hilton Head one summer. It's my favorite trade! Even used it to trade back into DSV as 2BR.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, really? There are a number of us who use DSV2 studios into wonderful places in Hawaii and elsewhere. I even traded it into Hilton Head one summer. It's my favorite trade! Even used it to trade back into DSV as 2BR.
What I said was that it was a lot more work than with my one bedroom unit, not that it was impossible. I too, traded back in to the Palm Desert properties and if you are flexible on season, yes into a two bedroom - we did May, Thanksgiving week, and New Years for sure. I just went and checked. I traded back in to DSVII twice in Thanksgiving (2 bedroom), Maui Ocean Club one bedroom (Oct), DSVII 2 bedroom (May), Newport Coast (Sept), Ko Olina 1 bed (Dec), DSVII 2 bed (June), and Maui Ocean Club 1 bed (Sept). As you can see, the Hawaii trades were always into one bedroom units. Upon review, the New Year's week at DSVI was on a one bedroom deposit. I always either deposited Thanksgiving week or once the week before because I was shut out of Thanksgiving one year. Trading was a lot better in 2011-2015, and became noticeably more difficult starting in 2016. I sold my week a year or two ago and just recently used my last extended deposit.

I was replying to the OP with the suggestion that with a studio (which in *my personal experience* saw less inventory than my one bedroom unit) make sure that you give yourself the best start by setting up an OGS, aiming for properties where you get Marriott preference, and paying for the size upgrade. I also indicated that it should have great trade power. Not sure why anyone is possibly reading criticism in my reply to the OP which was intended to be helpful based up on personal experience.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Steven -

As indicated above, view does not matter within II. Hawaii generally has a high TDI, which will help. Your efficiency is Week 22 (June 2nd)...which had a fairly decent TDI for Maui..as it's starting to get into summer.

An efficiency is an efficiency. It's size will generally limit visibility within II to some inventory outside of flex change windows. But, with some work...I've had high success using efficiency units through II in the past...often getting confirmed into a larger unit and/or quality resort. Traded studios into Maui 1BRs several times, 2BRs in Fort Lauderdale, 3BR in Orlando, 3BR in HHI, Kauai 1BR, etc.

If I were you...setup an OGS for somewhere you want to go and be flexible on resorts/times. Also, if you have locations nearby in off peak times....definitely do manual searches especially near 30/60 day windows when people tend to deposit. You can really score big in flex change...as you can see all inventory..and no uncharges for different size villas.

I imagine..there will be a lot of inventory in II near term...but also a lot of folks searching II with their various COVID deposits.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many trading strategies depending on how you travel, e.g., flexibility with dates or unit size and need to purchase plane tickets. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Especially since your expectations seem to be non-existen. I’m a big fan of II trades and would encourage you to not sell it short. Naturally, I find that with my efficiency confirmations are slower so patience with a back up plan is key. I don’t know what the degree is but don’t forget you should have home court advantage back into MMOC. I always parrot the II party line of deposit & request early with multiple weeks and/or locations but don’t always follow the advise and still have success. The hard part is deciding how much to hedge your bet. I’ve shot for the moon and had it go both ways. I’ve also shot for the moon but with a lesser option built into the request as a hedge and always get the hedge. While I realize I should be satisfied with any requested confirmation that always leaves me wondering so I don’t do that anymore. If your travel plans are inflexible and you can suffer a hotel, try a request with a hotel reservation as backup, then let it ride.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven, I've been figuring II out for the last 15 years. II values four things: location, TDI, unit size, and when you deposit. You also have the Marriott 24 day period where only Marriott requests have access to Marriott inventory. You have a gold nugget with the studio. Number one, Maui Marriotts are the top of the Marriott heap and one of three systems who get the same designation (look at the little symbols in the II directory). Your TDI is very high. Sure it's a studio, but it's Maui! Go compare the number of points you get with Destination Points to the other example of DSII. It's a lot more, right? Both Marriott and II value these differently. Your studio is worth more than 2BR units in places like Williamsburg, Branson, Park City, Palm Springs, Orland etc. The real key is that 24 day window. That limits the pool of potential requests.

Put in requests for places you want to go and if you can be flexible in terms of ranges of dates you will hit something quickly. I wouldn't even look at anything under 2BR unless you want to go to Boston.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Looking forward to seeing how well you do Steven..with your studio! The game is on... :)

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
that’s why I’m trying to decide if I should just do it. My week is 2nd week of June. The lockdown in Hawaii may not let up by then and I want to get my week in before Marriott/II block the deposits.
So you deposited the week and are no longer visiting Maui in June? I'm debating whether or not to cancel my two units for the 3rd week of June now so that I can reboot later this year, or at the very least join II and deposit with them.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
So you deposited the week and are no longer visiting Maui in June? I'm debating whether or not to cancel my two units for the 3rd week of June now so that I can reboot later this year, or at the very least join II and deposit with them.
I think he just deposited the Studio lock-off and still plans to occupy the 2BR side. I am still planning on going mid-June, but only if the 14 day quarantine is over. We will see -- good luck with your decision!

Best,

Greg

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
I think he just deposited the Studio lock-off and still plans to occupy the 2BR side. I am still planning on going mid-June, but only if the 14 day quarantine is over. We will see -- good luck with your decision!

Best,

Greg
At this point, I don't see a scenario in which we would risk going in June, unfortunately. This was the big trip with our parents, where we'd be renewing our vows, and I don't want to to risk them getting sick - definitely not in Maui where the medical facility is already undersized for just the residents. I think I'm going to just cancel this week and try and re-book for late this year. At least I'll have more flexibility than if I waited until within 60 days.