• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading Marriott Aruba Ocean Club for Marriott Hilton Head

catcher77

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a one bedroom Marriott Aruba Ocean Club unit, and have an ongoing search with II for about 2 weeks now. We are looking for a trade into Hilton Head at three different Marriott resorts during a 3 week time frame. The resorts are Marriott's Barony Beach Club, Marriott's Grand Ocean Resort, and Marriott's Surfwatch, and the time frame is July 13th thru August 3rd. I realize that we are trading a one bedroom for a two bedroom, what will be our chances of landing our request? Any suggestions on what we could do, change resorts (we would like to stay within Marriott), but our time frame is pretty well set. Thanks

Donnie

Art

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Presuming that you are talking about 2006 weeks, you are pretty late with your request. At this point any owners who planned to trade their weeks have long since deposited them. That is on top of the fact that the HHI summer weeks are a time of high owner occupancy.

Your best chance for getting a trade is from a deposit from an owner who decides at the last minute that they will not be able to use their week.

You might want to consider adding the older Marriott resorts on Hilton Head to your request. I know I got a trade to the July 4th week at Harbor Pointe about two months before the check-in date. HP and Sunset Pointe are nice, but not in the class of the resorts you have requested, so there is less demand for those weeks.

Art

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
trade

you will NOT get that trade. If you do, you will be luckier than Osama Bin Laden . First, you offer a one-BR, and you're asking for a 2-BR at three of HHI's finest resorts in summer. NOT. The demand is just too high. (I don't even think you'd get it if you were offering a 2-BR.) I would add also Harbour Club, Swallowtail, Monarch, or anything that even looks appealing. Do some research into the ratings, and try a 7 or 8 . During summer, that's about all you can reasonably expect at this late date. A year out? maybe, but still down the totem pole. you're asking for the 9.+ resorts in prime season for resorts where owners seldom deposit for trade, and it just won't happen. I hope you get it, but I'm not optimistic. jme

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gotten GO twice in the summer with a 1 bedroom OP.

Right now I've got another request in for the week before Memorial Day using a 1 bedroom OP. I figure if it's a possibility it may happen at the last minute when someone dumps a late deposit in II (like Art said). Have to stay flexible.

Beverley

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Acually, you may get the trade (if a deposit comes in) also because the Ocean Club is one of the few resorts that had an agreement that their one bedroom would trade like a 2 bedroom. Custom House is another resort that has that agreement. What is hurting your trade chances the most is that it is late for making the request. HHI is in such high demand that your request should have been made at least a year out. I would do as the others suggest and add a few of the other resorts on HHI and you will greatly increase your chances. HP now has a shuttle to the beach, Monarch is also on the beach, Harbor Club has a shuttle or you could take your car or ride a bike.

Good Luck, we will be there for 3 weeks this summer.

Beverley

Eric

Reaction score
Actually thats is not correct. Custom House is the ONLY resort with that agreement. The main reason is Custom House only has 1bd units where Ocean Club has 1 & 2 !!

Beverley said:
Acually, you may get the trade (if a deposit comes in) also because the Ocean Club is one of the few resorts that had an agreement that their one bedroom would trade like a 2 bedroom. Custom House is another resort that has that agreement.

Art

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yet, another correction.

As a Custom House owner, you may request a unit with 2 bedorooms at any Marriott resort in exchange for your 1 BR week.

However, as an owner at other resorts, you may request a resort that has only 2 BR units, in exchange for your 1 BR week.

The subtle difference is that in the latter case, you are requesting the resort, rather requesting a size up-grade and a resort. If your 1 BR week has sufficient trading power to pull the requested resort, you will get the unit available, which just happens to be a 2 BR.

Art

Eric said:
Actually thats is not correct. Custom House is the ONLY resort with that agreement. The main reason is Custom House only has 1bd units where Ocean Club has 1 & 2 !!

Beverley said:
Acually, you may get the trade (if a deposit comes in) also because the Ocean Club is one of the few resorts that had an agreement that their one bedroom would trade like a 2 bedroom. Custom House is another resort that has that agreement.

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
The units at Harbour Club are really big (two queens and jacuzzi in the secod bedroom) and were just completely redone. The second bedroom at Monarch has only two twins, but the resort is on the beach.

reedps

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year we also tried to get into Hilton Head's oceanfront resorts with a 1 bdrm. Granted ours was Grande Vista which I'm sure doesn't trade as well as Aruba... We put our request in a year in advance and continued to expand our dates until we basically had the whole summer requested. We never got a match. Early March we started to worry so we added in the Harbour Point and Sunset Pointe resorts. We had a match the next day. We decided to cancel and hold out to see what we could get in the 59 day window. We were able to get a week at Grande Ocean during flex change. I saw several units come up during that time. We were able to be pretty flexible which helps. The year before we got a week at Barony by checking within that 59 day window. Hope this helps and that you find something that will work for you!!

tompk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two years ago I put in a request in early Jan looking for the 3 oceanfront HHI Marriotts or Harbour Club for mid July using a 1 br platinum Grande Vista. We got confirmed into Harbour Club within a month. We then did a retrade about 2 weeks out into Barony. Last summer in mid July I used the studio portion to get into Ocean Watch about 2 weeks out. There's always last minute availability if you're able to search on-line every morning and are flexible.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Art said:
Yet, another correction.

As a Custom House owner, you may request a unit with 2 bedorooms at any Marriott resort in exchange for your 1 BR week.

However, as an owner at other resorts, you may request a resort that has only 2 BR units, in exchange for your 1 BR week.

The subtle difference is that in the latter case, you are requesting the resort, rather requesting a size up-grade and a resort. If your 1 BR week has sufficient trading power to pull the requested resort, you will get the unit available, which just happens to be a 2 BR.

Art

Eric said:
The info I have states that those who own a 1 BR at any of 6 resorts can request a 2 BR at resorts that do not have 1 BR units. I see nothing in the rules that state that a Custom House owner can request a 2 BR period even if the resort they want has 1 BR units. Could you point me to the paragraph, maybe I missed it. This does not technically apply to lockoff 1 BR units.

Eric

Reaction score
II has given MVCI a letter saying it trades like it's a 2bd unit and has all the power of a 2bd unit.

Dean said:
Art said:
Yet, another correction.

Art

The info I have states that those who own a 1 BR at any of 6 resorts can request a 2 BR at resorts that do not have 1 BR units. I see nothing in the rules that state that a Custom House owner can request a 2 BR period even if the resort they want has 1 BR units. Could you point me to the paragraph, maybe I missed it. This does not technically apply to lockoff 1 BR units.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Eric said:
II has given MVCI a letter saying it trades like it's a 2bd unit and has all the power of a 2bd unit.

That is certainly not the same as being a rule that Custom House owners can specify a 2 BR at resorts that have 1 BR units (including lockoff's).

Eric

Reaction score
Let me be more specific

Custon House trades as if it were a 2bd unit !!

Dean said:
Eric said:

That is certainly not the same as being a rule that Custom House owners can specify a 2 BR at resorts that have 1 BR units (including lockoff's).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Eric said:
Let me be more specific

As I asked earlier, where in the rules is that written. I didn't see it in the internal trading preference info other than as I referenced above.

Eric

Reaction score
I have seen the letter II gives owners

Dean said:
Eric said:
Let me be more specific

As I asked earlier, where in the rules is that written. I didn't see it in the internal trading preference info other than as I referenced above.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Eric said:
I have seen the letter II gives owners

Sounds like double secret probation. But I'd think it'd have to be in the general rules to have much meaning but I wouldn't mind seeing the exact wording. Please forgive me if I'm still skeptical that a 1 BR owner can specify a 2 BR unit at resorts that have 1 BR themselves. And it certainly wouldn't be fair or reasonable to allow this option for CH members but not other 1 BR owners.

Eric

Reaction score
That part doesn't make alot of sense. Thats like saying I don't think it's fair that Maui trades better than Orlando. Marriott worked out a deal with II. That can't shock you , can it ?

And it certainly wouldn't be fair or reasonable to allow this option for CH members but not other 1 BR owners.[/QUOTE]

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Eric said:
That part doesn't make alot of sense. Thats like saying I don't think it's fair that Maui trades better than Orlando. Marriott worked out a deal with II. That can't shock you , can it ?

And it certainly wouldn't be fair or reasonable to allow this option for CH members but not other 1 BR owners.
[/QUOTE]Apples and Oranges. What I am saying is that it is not fair to set up a single resort and give them the option of specifying a 2 BR at resorts that have 1 BR units given the other resorts in quesiton. This is not a trade power question but a procedural one. Trade power is a different issue and CH wouldn't be the only 1 BR units (non lockoff) that would trade very well and likely not the best trading 1 BR overall.

Chemee

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Six?

Dean said:
The info I have states that those who own a 1 BR at any of 6 resorts can request a 2 BR at resorts that do not have 1 BR units. .

Dean - which 6 resorts?

Eric

Reaction score
You might want to call II and complain. Let me know how that goes. While your at it, ask why Marriott owners get a 24 day hold rule. Maybe you can get that changed also :)

Apples and Oranges. What I am saying is that it is not fair to set up a single resort and give them the option of specifying a 2 BR at resorts that have 1 BR units given the other resorts in quesiton. This is not a trade power question but a procedural one. Trade power is a different issue and CH wouldn't be the only 1 BR units (non lockoff) that would trade very well and likely not the best trading 1 BR overall.[/QUOTE]

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Chemee said:
Dean - which 6 resorts?
It's all the Marriott built resorts that have true 1 BR non lockoff units. CH, GV, Maui, Kauai, Breckenridge & Aruba. I guess Vail got left out. This is info that can change even on the fly and certainly will if there are new resorts with true 1 BR units. But I'm guessing that even if there is a letter that is as specific as some would say here, that it's worth the paper it's written on. I'd love to hear from anyone who's started on ongoing search for a 2 BR only at the resorts that have 1 BR units.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Eric said:
You might want to call II and complain. Let me know how that goes. While your at it, ask why Marriott owners get a 24 day hold rule. Maybe you can get that changed also :)
No reason to and I know the reason Marriott owners get a priority period, that's one of the reasons I own Marriott.

Chemee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean said:
It's all the Marriott built resorts that have true 1 BR non lockoff units. CH, GV, Maui, Kauai, Breckenridge & Aruba. I guess Vail got left out. This is info that can change even on the fly and certainly will if there are new resorts with true 1 BR units. But I'm guessing that even if there is a letter that is as specific as some would say here, that it's worth the paper it's written on. I'd love to hear from anyone who's started on ongoing search for a 2 BR only at the resorts that have 1 BR units.

Thanks for the info. We own a 1 BR Aruba Ocean Club & were not aware of this. We have never requested an ongoing search for a 2 BR because we have never needed a 2 BR.