• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trading into RCI or DVC

KSellers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a CWA 200k through TimeShareNation. I’m in the process of having a 77k & 105k transferred as well for a total of 382k CWA. This is my first timeshare. Most years I’m planning on booking Wyndham, but I’m interested in how to best transfer into RCI for optimal return, and is it possible to get into DVC? Are there some really good previous threads on this that you could point me to? Or any insight would be fantastic! And thanks to all of you fantastic Tuggers that helped me get started for FREE! We have already booked 2 stays at Glacier Canyon in the Dells, and are planning for a week at Bonnet Creek in April of 2022.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a CWA 200k through TimeShareNation. I’m in the process of having a 77k & 105k transferred as well for a total of 382k CWA. This is my first timeshare. Most years I’m planning on booking Wyndham, but I’m interested in how to best transfer into RCI for optimal return, and is it possible to get into DVC? Are there some really good previous threads on this that you could point me to? Or any insight would be fantastic! And thanks to all of you fantastic Tuggers that helped me get started for FREE! We have already booked 2 stays at Glacier Canyon in the Dells, and are planning for a week at Bonnet Creek in April of 2022.
Its a easy and free transaction to deposit points into RCI. I like the value of renting a week at Wyndham Grand Desert for only 77,000 or 105,000 points instead of using 154,000 points and bookig with Wyndham You have to pay a reservation fee of $239 per week. Your net cost is $478 total for a extra week at GD booking and paying RCI. i . You have to plan ahead and availability for a last minute rental will be hard to find.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
That DVC will set you back the points, the $239 exchange fee, and the $190 fee to Disney. You will most likely get SSR. I've also gotten AKV, Aulani and BWV but I am not particular as to when I travel.

If I want to use the Disney transportation system, then I would do it. But then again, I have annual passes so parking is free. So WBC or Star Island means that I need a rental car but then it is $429 cheaper because of those fees.

Other than DVC, I've not used my Wyndham portal RCI account. I have about 500k that I will end up having to extend.

KSellers

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m still very confused how to get into DVC. How do I convert the points to DVC? Once they do how do I use them to select my resort, room & days? Is there calendar availability before I convert the points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
You deposit 105,000-126,000 CWA points into RCI and start an ongoing search for a SSR 1 bedroom for the dates you want and pay the $239 RCI exchange fee and wait for a match.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m still very confused how to get into DVC. How do I convert the points to DVC? Once they do how do I use them to select my resort, room & days? Is there calendar availability before I convert the points?
Exchange is a lot more complicated than you are thinking. It is not as easy as it would be to use DVC points as an owner.

You don't convert to DVC. You deposit to RCI. You can deposit points anytime from ten months prior to the start of the use year through the last day of the use year. You can deposit up to your annual allocation. You can also rent points ($12/K) for deposits if you hit that limit. The minimum deposit amount is 10K. A deposit is a final transaction, and cannot be undone. Your points will be good in RCI at least to the end of the month two years from the date of deposit.

Once deposited, you can then exchange for what RCI has available. There is a fixed grid based on size and season, constant across an area. For Orlando, most of the year is High season (105K for a week in a 1BR), though a few weeks of peak spring break are Prime (126K) and some of the hurricane offseason (mostly September) are lower (77K). Those seasonal designations can and do change.

As a resale owner, you would only be eligible to exchange in RCI Weeks. For most resorts---including all of Disney's---that means 7 days at a time. Disney only deposits weeks starting on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. There is much higher demand for them than supply so they go fast; you will have the best luck with an ongoing search. You can start an ongoing search without having points on deposit, but you cannot confirm a match without depositing.

For all intents and purposes, Disney only deposits 1BRs. They are almost all at Saratoga Springs. This too could change, but I wouldn't count on it.

Because you are a TUG Member, you can see the Sightings board. That will give you a sense for what is available and when over time.

KSellers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchange is a lot more complicated than you are thinking. It is not as easy as it would be to use DVC points as an owner.

You don't convert to DVC. You deposit to RCI. You can deposit points anytime from ten months prior to the start of the use year through the last day of the use year. You can deposit up to your annual allocation. You can also rent points ($12/K) for deposits if you hit that limit. The minimum deposit amount is 10K. A deposit is a final transaction, and cannot be undone. Your points will be good in RCI at least to the end of the month two years from the date of deposit.

Once deposited, you can then exchange for what RCI has available. There is a fixed grid based on size and season, constant across an area. For Orlando, most of the year is High season (105K for a week in a 1BR), though a few weeks of peak spring break are Prime (126K) and some of the hurricane offseason (mostly September) are lower (77K). Those seasonal designations can and do change.

As a resale owner, you would only be eligible to exchange in RCI Weeks. For most resorts---including all of Disney's---that means 7 days at a time. Disney only deposits weeks starting on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. There is much higher demand for them than supply so they go fast; you will have the best luck with an ongoing search. You can start an ongoing search without having points on deposit, but you cannot confirm a match without depositing.

For all intents and purposes, Disney only deposits 1BRs. They are almost all at Saratoga Springs. This too could change, but I wouldn't count on it.

Because you are a TUG Member, you can see the Sightings board. That will give you a sense for what is available and when over time.
Thank you. That was a very thorough explanation, and the help I was looking for. I had no idea that RCI carried any DVC property directly. We would want a 3 bedroom, so from what I’m understanding not even really an option for us.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

I noticed last fall as a resale owner 3-5 day stays were available for me to rent. Exchange fee was the same $239 for 3 day or a 7 day reservation.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Thank you. That was a very thorough explanation, and the help I was looking for. I had no idea that RCI carried any DVC property directly. We would want a 3 bedroom, so from what I’m understanding not even really an option for us.

Your best option would probably be Wyndham's Reunion resort. 3 Bedrooms aren't economical for DVC unless you are rich. Booking a 3 bedroom Old Key West using SSR points costs $3,280-$5,781 a week when you calculate the buy in cost + MF to be $9.4 per thousand, which is as cheap as DVC gets. Resale SSR points are the cheapest points you can get and Old Key West takes the least amount of points.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Your best option would probably be Wyndham's Reunion resort. 3 Bedrooms aren't economical for DVC unless you are rich. Booking a 3 bedroom Old Key West using SSR points costs $3,280-$5,781 a week when you calculate the buy in cost + MF to be $9.4 per thousand, which is as cheap as DVC gets. Resale SSR points are the cheapest points you can get and Old Key West takes the least amount of points.
In addition, 3-bedroom Grand Villas at OKW can be difficult (but not impossible) to book at the 7-month window for non-OKW owners. So you’d need to own at OKW and have the 11-month window to be reasonably certain of booking a GV when you wanted it.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I was just quoting the cheapest possible way you get get a 3 bedroom DVC villa. If you only need to sleep 9, you can also book a 3 bedroom tree house villa at SSR for $2641 to $4,484 a week at the 11 month mark using SSR points.