• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tradewinds as an exchange?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've read through a few posts on Tradewinds, and I think we would be a couple of years from doing it, but the idea is interesting. We normally travel with children, but it does sound like it would be a fun trip for me and the wife.

A few questions:

How big are the boats? How many other people are on the boat? How are the sleeping arrangements? Is the crew just the Captain and the first mate (cook)?

Is there a location that may have better boats via an RCI exchange?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
RCI has all of Tradewinds locations. Tradewinds has three classes of catamaran and RCI exchanges are most likely to get the smallest/least luxurious but they're still very impressive. The smallest is a 52 footer with 6 cabins, sleeping 2 each. The crew is just the captain and cook. You can contact Tradewinds before the charter and request your preferred liquor or other beverage. The yachts are incredibly nice, even the smallest ones, check out their site for an awesome 3d tour and all the information you could want. There's a member on here who has done over 50 cruises I believe @Sandy VDH
www.trade-winds.com

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
RCI has all of Tradewinds locations. Tradewinds has three classes of catamaran and RCI exchanges are most likely to get the smallest/least luxurious but they're still very impressive. The smallest is a 52 footer with 6 cabins, sleeping 2 each. The crew is just the captain and cook. You can contact Tradewinds before the charter and request your preferred liquor or other beverage. The yachts are incredibly nice, even the smallest ones, check out their site for an awesome 3d tour and all the information you could want. There's a member on here who has done over 50 cruises I believe @Sandy VDH
www.trade-winds.com

I've done 28 not 50. But anyways.......

There are some older boats in Croatia and Greece, but the Caribbean has all newer boats now.

There are 2 50' around that I don't like the layout off. But honest with the new fleet 52' cruising class, 59' or 60' luxury class, or 70', 72' and newest 77' everything is great. There are 4, 5 or 6 cabins depending on the boat and the configuration. Some boats have a premium cabin (owners cabin) some do not, so configurations vary a bit. So at 2 max per cabin you are looking at 8 to 12 guests max. But you do find many solo travelers, and occasional empty cabins, so it could be less.

Each cabin has it own private bath, shower. The new boats are really good about this space, but nicer than the older. The new boats have AC but how much it runs depends on the season, the weather, the class of boat, and the captain.

There is a crew of 2 on all except the Flagship, which you will likely not get as an RCI exchange. I have hear of it happening once, but don't expect that. The Flagship has a higher AI fee and an upscaled and fancier menu, they also have a 3rd crew member. Crew are usually a couple, but there are often exceptions. They decide how to split up the duties between them.

As an RCI exchange you are limited to 1 in 4 year for ANY tradewinds base, not just the one you traded into. You have a slightly higher AI fee as an RCI inbound over a owner cabin. Also owner cabins provide up to 3 SCUBA dives and equipment for no change, these are extra $75 PP per dive for NON-owners.

Any other Questions, just PM me or ask here.

Last edited:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you rent from an owner? Has anyone done a private trade with another TUGger?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you rent from an owner? Has anyone done a private trade with another TUGger?

Yes, you can. I have rented, both single cabins and a whole boat booking as well. You are treated like an owner then and you get the same privileges. You also get to ensure your boat type, like Luxury. Sure it will likely be a bit more for the base cabin than an exchange via RCI.

Another option is the referral deal, but you can't have ever sailed on TW to get that deal.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is really great information. I appreciate it. It sounds like such a neat alternative to a cruise. I am very intrigued and will definitely look to do this in 2-3 years.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is really great information. I appreciate it. It sounds like such a neat alternative to a cruise. I am very intrigued and will definitely look to do this in 2-3 years.

Much better to spend time with 12 of your friends instead of 6000. Definitely minimizes the amount of people you get exposed to.

And since you are already on a boat, 90% of your shore excursion are likely already included: Going to the beach, catamaran sail, snorkeling trip etc. So no need to pay for a shore excursion most of the time.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
My first Tradewinds sailing was a referral from a TUG member. I wanted to be sure to have AC at night so I booked the 59’ Luxury Boat in the British Virgin Islands.

Breakfast is around 8-8:30am. Then the captain will tell you of the agenda for the day. We usually sail for a few hours and then find a spot for lunch. The liquor cabinet is open 24/7 so you just help yourself. There is also wine, beer, mixers, soda, fruit juice in the fridge. We typically snorkel once or twice a day. Divers also get out under the water too. There are excursions planned during the week: hiking, shopping, visiting bars, old villages and forts, listening to bands, etc. You usually sail for a few hours in the afternoon too. The captain makes and serves a 5 o’clock cocktail.

Through RCI the sailings are adults only. As a Tradewinds member you can reserve a cabin or the whole boat. There are even family cruises that allow children.

Sailings are scheduled to resume around Oct / Nov 2020. There is availability now on RCI.