• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Took an update this week. The bucket pitch is back.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
I’m a chairman’s club owner with 4 enrolled weeks and also two weeks with Vistana as a 3 star owner there. For the first time I was informed that my Vistana weeks will show up in my MVCI account this summer adding 6000 points to my MVCI total. In addition, because I’m only a weeks owner I don’t have access to the points inventory, so I needed to buy 1000 points at $16.xx per point to become a hybrid owner. Once “hybrid”, you have access to everything…. Sound familiar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I’m a chairman’s club owner with 4 enrolled weeks and also two weeks with Vistana as a 3 star owner there. For the first time I was informed that my Vistana weeks will show up in my MVCI account this summer adding 6000 points to my MVCI total. In addition, because I’m only a weeks owner I don’t have access to the points inventory, so I needed to buy 1000 points at $16.xx per point to become a hybrid owner. Once “hybrid”, you have access to everything…. Sound familiar?

Ahh… the old supercharge your lowly enrolled points pitch. Good to see they are digging deep into the sleaze bag and dusting off some old untruths.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Ahh… the old supercharge your lowly enrolled points pitch. Good to see they are digging deep into the sleaze bag and dusting off some old untruths.
Don't laugh. They've been pitching a version of it to Vistana owners for months and some people have bought because of it - "Buy DC/Abound Points now and when your Vistana weeks/points get enrolled they'll have direct access to all the inventory in the Trust." Try to tell them, "yeah, when/if it gets moved to the exchange company" and they'll tell you how wrong you are.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Regardless of how the inventory bucketing actually works, you can just remind them that the stuff they dumped into the Trust was (primarily) the less desirable inventory anyway - stuff that was harder for them to sell when the market tanked in 2008. Hawaii with more IV vs. OV/OF, more mud season vs. ski season, more Gold and Silver vs. Platinum, etc. That is why the MF/point is as high as it is.

Until they start building new resorts and putting all the weeks into the Trust, that sales pitch is meaningless.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Classic, must be a riot for you to sit through those. "Do you know who I am (was)?" :ROFLMAO:

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
Presentations - One must sit back and consider the value proposition. For example, it was suggested during a presentation that I buy 5,000 points for about $65,000 (discounted). I thought about it and remembered that I could buy 5 Newport Coast platinum weeks for that same amount. The 5,000 points purchase would enable a reservation for 1 week at Newport Coast versus the 5 weeks provided by the resale purchase. Oh, and maintenance fees are $3,000 for enough points for 1 week and only $1,500 for each resale week.

It's tough to refute the economics.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Presentations - One must sit back and consider the value proposition. For example, it was suggested during a presentation that I buy 5,000 points for about $65,000 (discounted). I thought about it and remembered that I could buy 5 Newport Coast platinum weeks for that same amount. The 5,000 points purchase would enable a reservation for 1 week at Newport Coast versus the 5 weeks provided by the resale purchase. Oh, and maintenance fees are $3,000 for enough points for 1 week and only $1,500 for each resale week.

But, but, but the flexibility! Like the flexibility to 5-10 (week) days instead of the horrible inflexibility of 5 full weeks in a 2 BR. :wall:

Yes, there are some assorted examples of better value propositions that many have pointed out, but for those interested in week long vacations, you give a striking example of how much more expensive DC is for the same thing in weeks (more expensive for 1 week vs. 5.).

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I appreciate the flexibility of using 1-night increments versus a week. The bargain point requirement for 5-night Sunday through Friday morning reservations is also a great feature.

Our use is a bit different than most. We book 5 or 6 concurrent reservations for a late June family reunion - always at great resorts. We've had 25+ family members there. Getting point reservations for this many is tough. As an example, I tried to book this year at 13 months ahead, then at 12 months, and finally to a wait list. At 8:30 am on June 24th, I tried again online and got all 6 prime point reservations for next year (30 minutes before the planned waitlist call).

I'm just tired of fighting to get reservations using the point system. I became the most irritated when it was suggested that I wait list as something will appear when an owner deposits his/her week. So that's great, all our guests would be put on hold in their planning while waiting for Marriott. It's so obvious to me that the Trust is full of lots of reservations that I don't want. Perhaps, the Trust should discard some of the junk weeks they put in at the start and create the inventory we want. I'm insulted when Marriott tells me to wait for an owner to deposit the week I want. If this is the program, perhaps Vacation Club should be honest and disclose what is in the Trust.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I actually heard the 401V pitch in the last year or two. It seems they like to recycle tried and true methods to probe owners and find their hot button. My favorite has been upgrade now to avoid getting locked out of exchanging in the future.

The latest scam pitch wasn’t at MVC, but at our Spinnaker managed resort in Branson. They were selling buy-out clauses. For a mere 7 years of current MF’s, after 10 more years of ownership you can deed back you week and walk away. In our case they wanted nearly $8,000. The scare tactic was the salesmen telling us that our MF’s plus II membership fees plus exchange fees would increase by 13% each year as was the historical trend. It was REALLY hard not to laugh in his face.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

Such a good point!