• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Today (February 16, 2020) in Zihuatenejo

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
“Today” is Sunday, Feb. 16. We are staying at Pacifica Grand in La Colonia Ropa in Zihuatenejo.

We caught a morning water taxi from Playas las Gatas to the main pier in Zihua. 25 pesos, and learned a lesson. DW and I were the gringos on the boat, along with three mujeres and 6-month old baby. I was taking my cues from the locals. When we arrived, the locals disembarked first, assisted by a couple of young men at the pier. They went on their way, and when we started to do the same the two young men asked about their propino (tip).

So lesson relearned. If you have money (and that is true whether you are gringo or native), you are expected to tip for services received. Ordinary people get a pass – but if you have money you are expected to pay when someone provides a service. I’ve come to consider that as the equivalent of welfare in the US. Latin American countries don’t have welfare systems; instead, people are expected to find ways to provide services to those who have means. And those who have means recognize the services provided via “los propinos”.

The pier is next to the fish market. Zihua is still a fishing village, and the fishermen leave in the evening, returning at dawn, and sell their catch along the Calle de Pescadores (Fishermens Street). When we arrived, we were too late to see the market – they finish between 9 and 10 am.

After that we wandered over to the mercado publico – the public market. The mercado is the principal shopping area for locals. Very little English spoken. The mercado is like a department store – you can get almost anything you need in the mercado. But it isn’t a single store; it’s completely independent stalls. But they are organized by category. Clothing vendors in one area. Hardware in another. Housewares in another. Shoes in another. Meat and chicken in one area. Seafood another area, near the carnecerias and pollerieas.

We were concerned that since it was Sunday, many places would be closed. Totally wrong. Sunday is market day. The mercado publico was in full operation, and spilled over into several blocks on three sides. Seemingly countless stores selling fruits, vegetables, eggs, clothing, hats, sunglasses, etc. And chickens. I think chicken is the national food of Mexico apart from the Gulf Coast. But you name it – you can find it in or near the Mercado Publico. Both storefronts and sidewalk vendors. Streets crowded so cars can’t get by. And nary a word of English to be heard.

We’ve spent enough time in Mexico that we weren’t taken aback by the difference in quality of produce. Just understand that when you go to a grocery store in the US and you see produce that is stickered “product of Mexico”, consider that they give us the inferior produce. The good stuff they don’t send over the border.

After wandering through the area, we went over to Playa Madera for lunch, and then returned to do pick up some foodstuffs for the week. By then it was after 1 pm, and the crowds were thinning. So if you want the full experience, arrive between 10 and 11 am. If you want fewer crowds, come after noon. But realize that if you come later, you are getting stuff that has been picked over (which was obvious when we were looking for some lettuce).

We went back to a fish monger we had seen in the morning. He had whole fish he acquired that morning at the fishermens sale. We asked for a kilo of mahi mahi fillets. He reached below the counter, pulled out a fresh fish carcass that had been half-filleted already. He flipped it on the other side, cut down the spine spine and removed the meat from the other half of the fish, and then prepared our fillets. He made a passing comment that there was no question that we were getting fresh fist.

We also picked up a half-kilo of fresh shrimp. And they were fresh. Still with heads, unpeeled, still with veins. Just sitting on a block of ice. Our price for a kilo (2.2. lbs) of fresh mahi mahi fillets and ½ kilo of fresh large shrimp (about 15 to the pound) – about $US 15.

I didn’t try to negotiate or haggle. I didn’t see locals haggling on price, so I didn’t. Maybe he charged me a gringo price. So what if he did - it was still a great price, well within what we able to pay, and far less than a gringo-catering restaurant would have charged for the same stuff.

Generally the same story everywhere else we went. When I stumbled a bit with my Spanish occasionally there would be someone nearby who would graciously help out. A couple of locals gave us pointers to the vendors that they particularly enjoyed. My biggest frustration is that we had been scouring a bit to find a place that sold local cheese. We gave up and bought some commercial Oaxaca style cheese (which still puts to shame our US cheese). As we were bagging one helpful local mentioned a nearby cheese stall we missed that was a local woman who produced and sold her own home-made cheeses.

For us it was a pretty wonderful day. On the flight down, I overheard a person in the row behind us talking with some first=time Zihua/Ixtapa travelers. He was waxing on how wonderful Ixtapa was (and Ixtapa certainly is, in it’s own way) but his take on Zihua was how “dirty” Zihua was, unlike Ixtapa. I can understand and appreciate that point of view. It’s a question of what you want on a vacation. If you just want to go to a nice clean beach, sit under a palapa, and chill, then a place such as Ixtapa is excellent. There are times when that is what we want.

But if you are also interested in stepping out of the tourist experience, Zihua is attractive. We’ve spent many weeks in Puerto Vallarta, enjoying PV more than Cabo. But when we hit Zihua/Ixtapa last year on a SFX we were totally smitten.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Every beach in Mexico is lined with beachfront restaurants, with tables and lounges under palapas, where you can sit, order drinks, and food items. Most of the time they are pretty interchangeable - thay all serve decent food, cold beer, and the standard assortment of drinks.

So we wound having lunch today at La Cabaña on Playa las Gatas. It's toward the west end of the beach, which is the far end from the water taxi pier. (Unless you are staying somewhere around Playa las Gatas or Playa Ropa where you can travel by foot, you will most likely arrive by water taxi from the main pier in Zihua.) A shout out for some of the best MX beachfront food that we've had. Extremely good service. DW took one bite of her shrimp tacos and totally unprompted said they were really good. That is totally high praise from her.

Chatting with some of the people nearby, there were three groups of people (all Canadian) who have been coming to Zihua for ten years or more, and always make La Cabaña the focus of their activities for the day. So we're not the only ones who feel that way.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure wish you'd hold your reports until, oh maybe the heat of Summer. Zihua is an under-the-radar favorite of mine. I inquired on the dock who was the most productive sport fisherman there and all pointed to one guy, so we went out with him and brought home a nice brace of sailfish and a couple of Dorado. We let him and the mate take the sailfish and fillet what we wanted from the mahi-mahi. It was divine. We took it back to our digs and dined exquisitely. Mucha Gracia!

Jim

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It might be a good idea if the powers that be were to create a sticky Zihua/Ixtapa recommendations thread, as has been done for other MX locales.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
It might be a good idea if the powers that be were to create a sticky Zihua/Ixtapa recommendations thread, as has been done for other MX locales.
Good idea! Please feel free to add more info every day while you're down there. Sounds like you're having a wonderful trip.

Last edited:

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a really unique (and extremely tasty!) cheese experience, there is a fellow who walks LaRopa with a bucket of cheese on ice that he pulls out and sells by its length. It is salty and yummy!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Every beach in Mexico is lined with beachfront restaurants, with tables and lounges under palapas, where you can sit, order drinks, and food items. Most of the time they are pretty interchangeable - thay all serve decent food, cold beer, and the standard assortment of drinks.

So we wound having lunch today at La Cabaña on Playa las Gatas. It's toward the west end of the beach, which is the far end from the water taxi pier. (Unless you are staying somewhere around Playa las Gatas or Playa Ropa where you can travel by foot, you will most likely arrive by water taxi from the main pier in Zihua.) A shout out for some of the best MX beachfront food that we've had. Extremely good service. DW took one bite of her shrimp tacos and totally unprompted said they were really good. That is totally high praise from her.

Chatting with some of the people nearby, there were three groups of people (all Canadian) who have been coming to Zihua for ten years or more, and always make La Cabaña the focus of their activities for the day. So we're not the only ones who feel that way.

I was wondering if you had a chance to see where the WM is ? We kind of want to head that way but all of the trades require AI or are studios.

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen it. It's across the water from us. In the snip below, we are near the Amuleto Hotel. WM is across the bay from us. For reference, Embarc is close to where the Hotel Catalina is, at the north end of Playa La Ropa.

1582154806169.png

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I believe the Worldmark has or is about to shutdown for a major refurbishment. Hopefully build in more kitchens.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Zihuatanejo Beach commentary.

Note - this concerns Zihua beaches only - Ixtapa beaches (which can be wonderful) not included.

There are four main beaches in Zihua, starting with Playa Principal, running east and west, at the north end of Bahia de Zihuatenejo. After Playa Principal, the coastline trends more north and south, and the other beaches then proceed down the east shore of the bay. There are some smaller beaches in the area, including some on the west shore of Bahia Z.

Playa Principal is located in the heart of town. The city pier, such as it is, is on the west side of Playa Principal. The pier is where water taxis arrive and depart. Immediately adjacent to the pier is where the fisherman arrive with their catch early in the morning. IMO - Playa Principal is of interest only because it is in the oldest part of town, and might provide some interesting backdrop for photos. There is a small river that flows through old Zihua and connects to the ocean at Playa Principal. Water in the stream is pretty gross. I certainly wouldn't swim at Playa Principal, though there are often people who do.

The river connects to the ocean near the west end of Playa Principal (Main Beach). There is a pedestrian bridge that crosses the river, and puts you on a nice paved and lighted walkway to Playa Madera (Wood Beach), the second of the four beaches. Playa Madera is quite pleasant, and noticeably cleaner than Playa Principal, though personally I wouldn't swim there. At Playa Madera you are starting to get into the tourist areas.

The next beach is Playa la Ropa (Clothing Beach - has nothing at all to do with the status of clothing for beachgoers). A large rock outcropping separates Playa la Ropa from Playa Madera. There is no path along the rock outcropping. Perhaps someone skilled in navigating along a slippery and slimy rock cliff could pick a pathway. Everybody else who wants to reach Playa la Ropa from Playa Madera on foot will need to head inland to the road that goes up and over the rock crossing. Near the top of the crossing will be the entrance to the Embarc Zihua resort. It appears to me that there might a sidewalk or pathway down to Playa la Ropa at that point, but I'm not sure. We haven't investigated. I make that comment because down on the beach, next to Embarc there appears to be a sidewalk that goes up, and should connect to that road if the sidewalk is through.

If there is a Gringo Gulch in Zihua, Playa la Ropa is it. Lots of hotels, condos, resorts, and restaurants catering to Norte Americanos. Sit in a lounge chair under a palapa, have some drinks, and take a bit of a nap. When you wake up you could believe you are in any other gringo beach at any other tourist locale in Mexico. Locals appear to congregate near the south end of Playa la Ropa (the far end of the beach from Embarc.).

You can drive right up to the beach at the south end - this is the principal public access. If you hire a taxi to take you to Playa la Ropa, that is where they will drop you off. Also where taxis hang out to take you back.

The south end of Playa la Ropa ends in a rocky shoreline that extends to Playa las Gatas (Beach of the Cats - I don't know why it's the feminine "gatas" form). There is an easy shoreline trail that connects Playa la Ropa and Playa las Gatas. It takes about 20 minutes to navigate the trail. There are a couple of small rock outcroppings that can easily be managed by almost anyone. If you can navigate a stairway you should be able to handle the trail.

Some people use the shoreline along this pathway for recreation. Floating devices, small boats. Some snorkeling - from above it appears that this should be good snorkeling area.

On the trail, just before you reach Playa las Gatas is a pier where the water taxis from the main pier at Playa Principal land. Beyond the pier is the north end of Playa las Gatas. As noted upthread, Playa las Gatas is also a typical Mexican gringo tourist beach, lined with beachfront restaurants. A couple of things differentiate Playa las Gatas from the rest.

1. There is no direct road access to Playa las Gatas. You can only access the beach if you are staying at a property that has beach access, you arrive by boat (generally water taxi but could be other panga), or you take the trail from Playa la Ropa. Hence, Playa las Gatas is less crowded.

2. At the far end of the beach there is nice undeveloped area with a lot of palm trees that provide shade. If you pack a lunch and just want to sit and eat (and drink) that's your spot (at least until it gets developed).

3. There is a rock breakwater along much of the beach that stills the waves. The breakwater makes it easier for wading, especially for small children. Also there reportedly good snorkeling in and around the breakwater. As well as an underwater image of Jesus if you know where to look.

Playa las Gatas was our favorite, even without considering the excellent La Cabaña restaurant. We apparently are not alone, including locals. From our place we can see the water taxis plying the route between Playa Principal and Playa las Gatas. At the end of the of the day on Sunday, there was a nearly unbroken stream of pangas working the route. Not nearly as many on Monday and Tuesday. The difference presumably is locals who head to Playa las Gatas on the weekend, but are back at work on Mondays.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I haven't been there in many moons. Is Casa qué Canta still there? (The House that Sings for you gringos).

chalucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a reservation for Embarc for April that we had to give up as an Eplus; airfare from LAX was too freaking expensive. ~1000 per ticket for Sat to Sat nonstop on Alaska. Maybe in future

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We had a reservation for Embarc for April that we had to give up as an Eplus; airfare from LAX was too freaking expensive. ~1000 per ticket for Sat to Sat nonstop on Alaska. Maybe in future
We found the same thing.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Companion fare certificates are your friend!!!

Also we find that while air fares for, say Hawaii, are comparable, the other costs are much less. We don't need to rent a car. Food and activities are less.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Zihua music scene.

Zihua seems to be carving out a niche as a music festival site. As we were visiting, about half of the people we met had come to Zihua for music festivals. We just missed the first one - a rock and blues festival. That is followed a month later by the Zihua International Guitar Festival. So there are a number of norteamericanos (seemed as if most of the ones we met were Canadian) who spend a month or so in Zihua, soaking up sun and music. Often people we met simply assumed that we must be there for the music festival and were surprised that we had been unaware.

We had no prior inkling. My first indication came Saturday evening. We arrived, early Saturday afternoon after taking a red-eye flight out of Seattle and connecting in Dallas. After checking in we didn't have time (or energy) to go out for groceries, so we had dinner at the La Vista restaurant at Pacifica Grand that evening. Gorgeous sunset, and then a guitarrista began playing and singing. Wonderful performer by the name of Jossy Gallegos. I was conversing with her briefly during the break, to feed her tip jar and to find out if she had CDs for sale. And that was when I heard someone ask her if she was going to be playing at the Guitar Festival in a couple of weeks. Oh --- who knew?

Anyway, below is a video of Jossy Gallegos performing at the 2019 guitar festival. And below that are some selections from her CD that I bought. Quite a stylistic range, including traditional arrangements, modern flamenco stylings, and an aria!

If you want more of Jossy Gallegos you can catch her on sites such as Spotify and Amazon Music.

And here is a link to the Facebook page for the Guitar Festival. I didn't find a web page - appears that they use social media only. Zihua being what it is, the Festival is still pretty low key - note people just sitting around beach tables. In fact, some (perhaps most of all) performances occur at beach restaurants - when were waling on Playa la Ropa the El Pirata restaurant had signs up for a performance that was going to occur at their place.

Last edited:

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Playa las Gatas (Beach of the Cats - I don't know why it's the feminine "gatas" form).

That's actually a common misconception. I was told by several locals that Las Gatas is actually a fish that the beach is named for - even if your guide book tries to tell you otherwise!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That's actually a common misconception. I was told by several locals that Las Gatas is actually a fish that the beach is named for - even if your guide book tries to tell you otherwise!
Correct. It's named after a type of shark that apparently bore a resemblance to cats in some way. But that doesn't explain why the feminine form is used. A shark is a tiburon, which is a masculine noun, so that wouldn't call for a feminine form.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Correct. It's named after a type of shark that apparently bore a resemblance to cats in some way. But that doesn't explain why the feminine form is used. A shark is a tiburon, which is a masculine noun, so that wouldn't call for a feminine form.
And I got my answer. The type of fish is a gata. though a female cat can also be a gata.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 14

lissa

Reaction score
People are avoiding events and festivals due to the corona virus.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
T_R_Oglodyte -

Just wanted to say thanks for the posts! I don't come around here as often as I used to (or should), so just saw them! I'm living more or less full time in Mazatlán now, and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo are on my list of stops to make, along with Manzanillo and Puerto Escondido. I made it to Acapulco last year and hope to hit the rest this, or next year. When travel is open again, I plan on tying everything together with my annual Puerto Vallarta trip. So I'll bus to Puerto Vallarta for a week, then make my way to Manzanillo for a few days, then on to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Acapulco, and Puerto Escondido after which I'll fly back to Mazatlán - perhaps with a few days layover in México City.

I'm not a five star resort and roped off beach person - so having someone detail the differences in locations is great! Any further tips you, or another viewer of this post, may have on my destinations would be more than welcome! Just keep in mind I stay at hostels when I can't do a trade into a timeshare!