• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

To those of you eating/drinking 100% from your home

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you decided to order pick up, take out, whatever.....what would it be?

This was our dinner conversation tonight has we had steaks, mashed and corn.

The votes around our table.
Me: Chinese food
DH: Pizza
DD 14: Kentucky fried chicken or Texas Road House

geekette

Reaction score
TX road house shut down here. I will take a pass on KFC. I could split the difference with Chili's (3 minutes away; always great food)

We have a great gourmet Chinese food place up the road with The Best crab rangoon ever. That would be the Indie I'd want to support.

I have been hankering for a pizza. Frozen crap baked at home is NOT the same and it has been many MANY years since I made my own so not happening now. It's a bit farther now, but I could see cruising for Noble Roman's Deep Dish Sicilian. That is Happy Food for me.

I have not had anything I didn't make since ... beach trip around Feb 22 when I gorged on seafood. I don't mean all from scratch - I am not above Campbell's soup, there have been a few tv dinners. Tonight was a big ole grilled cheese and tomato soup. We are slipping back to winter.... tomorrow will be a massive omelet.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have been doing one take out dinner a week, and then take out breakfast on Sunday.

So far we've had: pizza, Japanese, Italian (twice). Tomorrow night we're going to do Mexican. These have all been from local restaurants.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The one take out meal we've had in three weeks of quarantining ourselves was from a local Mexican restaurant we like. They have the best food.

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We haven't eaten anything out since about three weeks ago when we just went through DQ for some Blizzards. Today my wife said she would be okay with just having McDonalds. We literally have one two minutes away. For a while we were sick of it as we moved here and got drive through or carry out there quite a bit just after our move. I made homemade sweet and sour chicken tonight. Green peppers, onion, the battered chicken and homemade sauce. I have done this before. I think it tastes better than take out. We have yet to find good take out Chinese food around here.

There really isn't anything I crave that much right now, but Chick-fil-a sounds pretty good. The last time I drove past one about a week ago, their line was still wrapped around the building like usual.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not many take out options where we are now. But two local restaurants have Easter dinner specials. We ordered and will do curbside pick up Sunday. I'm looking forward to a nice dinner that somebody else cooked. :)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
It was my birthday Tuesday so we ordered twin lobsters (steamed) and two pounds of steamers (ipswich soft shell) clams that we cooked at home. Other than that, I have been cooking. There are several places nearby that do a variety of seafood and Caribbean inspired tacos and I do have a craving for those. So maybe next week. We are also lucky to live by the ocean where there is a large commercial fishing fleet. they usually sell to restaurants on Long Island and NYC but with so many closures, they are selling and delivering to locals. We have had scallops and fresh fluke several times in the past three weeks.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We’ll do takeout tomorrow. Don’t know what yet. But we have ham for Easter.

We have had McDonalds a couple of times. It really close we haven’t had it in a long time so it was actually good. We may do a pizza or one of the local sub shops that I have been hearing about. But if it’s my wife’s turn to decide, it will be Zippy’s. She loves Zippy’s.:)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our locally owned restaurants are really struggling, so we are ordering take-out 1-2 times a week. We have a favorite Thai place, and DW LOVES their chicken soup, I am all about their green curry. (about $18). Another night we ordered family style baked chicken thighs and garlic mashed potatoes and broccoli spears. We ordered for 4 and it was a LOT of food for 2 nights, beautifully packed in an aluminum pan for keeping warm or re-heating ($22). The only time we went for a chain franchise- I know they are locally owned and hire local people too- I felt like pizza, so it was a take-n-bake Papa Murphy's thin crust herb chicken pizza. Gosh, it looks like all we eat is chicken. Yup. It's not chix exclisively, but we don't eat a lot of beef. Unless I do steaks on the grill- which we do about once a week or so. I usually fix Mexican at home- tacos, or enchiladas. I've balked at take-out Mexican because I really don't want a big plate of refried beans and Spanish rice.
Does a Costco rotisserie chicken count as take-out? W got one of those last weekand worked on it for 3 days. Finally finishing it off as soup with lots of veggies and a casserole.

Jim

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Tonight I made Dinner. Spaghetti sauce from scratch. The Meatballs were a mixture of Spicy Italian Saugage and Hamburger. Tomorrow Patti is making Poutine. The Gravey is made with Chicken Broth, Beef Broth, and Catsup. To those not familiar with it, it is Gravey and Cheese Curds over French Fries.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Does a Costco rotisserie chicken count as take-out? W got one of those last weekand worked on it for 3 days. Finally finishing it off as soup with lots of veggies and a casserole.

Jim

I have seen you mention before about how many meals you get out of one of those Costco chickens. You must really follow the serving sizes on those.:)

Every time we buy one, I cut it in half and I eat one side and my wife eats the other.:)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen you mention before about how many meals you get out of one of those Costco chickens. You must really follow the serving sizes on those.:)

Every time we buy one, I cut it in half and I eat one side and my wife eats the other.:)
We have several side dishes alongside the bird. I don't think either of us could eat half a Costco chicken- That would be over 1 1/2 lb of meat each. I remember roasted chicken joints in my younger days where they served a half chicken, but they were smaller birds and I had less sense.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have several side dishes alongside the bird. I don't think either of us could eat half a Costco chicken- That would be over 1 1/2 lb of meat each. I remember roasted chicken joints in my younger days where they served a half chicken, but they were smaller birds and I had less sense.
Aren't the chickens only a little over 3lbs? There are a lot of bones in there, so not sure that there would be 3lbs of meat on one? We usually get two meals out of a chicken. First day we carve the chicken and have it with some sides. The next meal may be the same or perhaps turned in to chicken tacos or something else.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
For lunch, we've been rotating between McD's, Arby's, Zaxby's.
Also, leftovers from better take-outs, plus our own brats.
But tomorrow, we're having a home-made salad! YUK. o_O

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We've been getting take-out from our usual mix of restaurants 2-3 times a week, trying to support them through this time. It is a mix: Thai, Greek, Mexican, Italian, pizza. Mostly independent restaurants, but a couple of chains mixed in.

Kurt

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
I'm afraid to eat food someone else has touched, so we are cooking at home. Locally we have Papa Murphy's pizza which they assemble and you take home to cook. I think that would be safe if 425 degrees kills COVID19.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
In Western New York during the Lenten season the go to meal on Friday is Fish Fry. We've ordered from a couple of nearby by bars and it's been very good. Otherwise we cook at home.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Yanni's Penne Chicken Marsala. Local restaurant, Greek (Yanni) and Italian (his wife) and so, so good! We've had it twice and it's so good! We had it last night and had the leftovers for lunch today. Second would be good Italian pizza.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'm afraid to eat food someone else has touched, so we are cooking at home. Locally we have Papa Murphy's pizza which they assemble and you take home to cook. I think that would be safe if 425 degrees kills COVID19.
There is an excellent video that has been going around about how to sanitize your groceries and there is a bit at the end about what to do about take out. First, remove the items from the containers and throw the containers away. Next microwave the food for about a minute.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
We've ordered take out a couple times over these past few weeks. It's been very good and a nice break from cooking. We try to support our local restaurants rather than fast food or big chains.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It would be my favorite local restaurant that serves gluten free
SUSHI, CHINESE, THAI,
VIETNAMESE food
Unfortunately it temporarily closed. I hope they will open when things are better.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is also our concern and we have only done 2 curbside pickups at our golf course restaurant.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Had ribs delivered from a local new place that had just opened prior to the start of covid last night. Were great. Trying to support our local small entrepreneurs during this crisis.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
We've eaten 100% of our meals at home since our "Safer At Home" effective 3/25. That said, we were going to get carry-out from a local bowling center (one of my members) but they were slammed with orders, and in fact, ran out of their Friday Fish Fry so we didn't get to help them by buying. Seems in some/many cases here, the ones I would like to help (and are close to where we live) are being fully supported by their local community regulars. Which is AWESOME!

As was already mentioned, the smaller "mom & pop" family businesses are the ones most vulnerable at this time, so supporting them will be a long way in helping to restore them to the business levels they were at prior to COVID-19.

That's not to say the chains aren't suffering too, and their employees don't need the work. I personally just feel McDonalds and others are far more likely to have the infrastructure and financial capability to weather this storm . . . so please support small, local businesses.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Since our SiP orders started a few weeks ago, we have had 2 nights of Costco pizza and 1 night of Chinese takeout. The pizza was bought on our grocery shopping trip. That’s it!