• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

To rescind or to rescind

olap001

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My wife and I attended the timeshare presentation on Monday (the last day of our vacation in Florida). We were offered 5000 points every other year at a purchase price of $16,370. With the interest on the loan taken into consideration, the total for the property will be $28,311.

The beinnal maintenance fees comes in at $1300. We were offered a 10000 points bonus to sweeten the deal (the sales guy even told us he's never seen anyone being offered 10000 points). We were even given a $75 Amex prepaid card and they organised for out transport to the airport seeing that they held us for 5 hours.

Thankfully, I came across the forum this morning and the obvious way forward is to rescind the deal seeing as I have 10 days. In terms of buying on the resale market, will I be able to buy since I reside in the UK?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
A. Rescind and buy resale.
B. If at all possible do not finance the purchase...better to wait until you have the cash
C. If the salesweasel's mouth is moving, they're lying
D. Rescind and buy resale.

Oh, and welcome :)

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Yes, you can buy from the UK.
There are a few owners from across the pond who participate here.

HGVC is a high-quality system with a decent website and call center.
But their sales department operates like all other TS's - a total rip-off.

You were robbed. Rescind! Follow the instructions in your contract.
Look at these websites for HGVC resale pricing from reputable brokers:
www.sellingtimeshares.net and www.judikoz.com
You can also check out closed auctions on e-Bay.

After looking at those, the amount you paid will make you sick.

AdaKate

Reaction score
We purchased Monday as well, and rescinded on Tuesday (THANKFULLY we found this site Monday night!) We weren't even going to be financing more than 2 months, and it still just felt like WAY too much once we realized what could be purchased resale. Our only reason for purchasing on the spot was we were lied to and told open season cash rates were ONLY available if we purchased on our first viewing (sales person issue, being addressed). Do it immediately. The weight off our shoulders was amazing.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
You can buy a 5000 point annual HGVC contract in Orlando for less than $3,000. Rescission is a no-brainer. HGVC is good about giving its resale owners rights similar to those given to developer purchasers, so your only loss would be the 10000 incentive points (which are certainly not worth $13,000).

TM42

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando; Southwind II
On TUG, check resales listed here, too!

barrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
A. Rescind and buy resale.
B. If at all possible do not finance the purchase...better to wait until you have the cash
C. If the salesweasel's mouth is moving, they're lying
D. Rescind and buy resale.

Oh, and welcome :)

Cheers.

You forgot the most important one:

Join TUG.

olap001

Reaction score
Thanks everyone... Rescission letter has been sent via DHL and should get there tomorrow! So glad I found this forum

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thanks everyone... Rescission letter has been sent via DHL and should get there tomorrow! So glad I found this forum

I have never seen HGVC's rescission instructions, but is DHL an approved method of sending a rescission letter? Please re-read the instructions and make absolutely certain that you follow them to the letter (and that you both sign the letter assuming you both signed the purchase contract). If they say to rescind via USPS, re-send your letter. You cannot be too certain.

olap001

Reaction score
I have never seen HGVC's rescission instructions, but is DHL an approved method of sending a rescission letter? Please re-read the instructions and make absolutely certain that you follow them to the letter (and that you both sign the letter assuming you both signed the purchase contract). If they say to rescind via USPS, re-send your letter. You cannot be too certain.

We reside in the UK and DHL is the most effective option to get the letter to them. They didnt mention anything about using a specific postal service. We both signed the rescission letter in blue ink cos they were particular about using blue when we signed the contract.

Thank you

AdaKate

Reaction score

Our contract said delivered by any means

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
HGVC is a stand-up company. Aside from lying sales-weasels, they'll do the right thing.