• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

To Hula Or Not to Hula

itap39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt WOR
We finally were able to book Hyatt's Maui Residence Club with CUP exchange for this year, after years of wait-listing....then COVID hit. Hawaii currently has a mandatory 2week self-quarantine till Sept30. We were able to secure Dec12-19 in a 2bedroom. We know the Hyatt Maui Resort (next door) is currently closed due to Covid.

I'm struggling with the decision to cancel or hold out...any thoughts or assistance appreciated! Such crazy times we are living in.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You may as well hold on until October 12th since your points won't be restricted if you cancel prior (I am assuming you used 2021 points). I would continue to monitor the situation and see what they announce. There are a couple of threads on TUG that people post news to. In short, no one really knows, but it is looking pretty doubtful they open to tourists by October 1 with negative tests.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had reservations for the spring and fall, all cancelled now. Between the never ending quarantine (it will at some point, but there have been multiple extensions) and so many closed businesses, airline cancellation, etc... we decided there is no reason to visit if we are going to be stuck on property. There are some threads in the Hawaii forum you may want to read through as they give detailed and current info.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We finally were able to book Hyatt's Maui Residence Club with CUP exchange for this year, after years of wait-listing....then COVID hit. Hawaii currently has a mandatory 2week self-quarantine till Sept30. We were able to secure Dec12-19 in a 2bedroom. We know the Hyatt Maui Resort (next door) is currently closed due to Covid.

I'm struggling with the decision to cancel or hold out...any thoughts or assistance appreciated! Such crazy times we are living in.
You may as well hold on until October 12th since your points won't be restricted if you cancel prior (I am assuming you used 2021 points). I would continue to monitor the situation and see what they announce. There are a couple of threads on TUG that people post news to. In short, no one really knows, but it is looking pretty doubtful they open to tourists by October 1 with negative tests.
This all depends on the status of the points that were used to make the reservation. Depending on when the points would have expired in CUP, you may be better off waiting even longer inside of 60 days under the current COVID policy. Current COVID policy will extend the life of those points through Dec 31 2021 -- so if you're points were due to move from CUP to LCUP soon, it may make more sense to wait just inside 60 days if they would be restricted anyway -- that way you extend the life of the points as they sit in LCUP. Of course, YMMV and COVID policy is subject to change at any time.

-ryan

jimandelise

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Williamsburg, Grande Vista and trust points
Vistana Orlando, St John's
Massanutten
Wyndham Williamsburg
Disney Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdo

I have a daughter living in Hawaii and she said that the probability of the quarantine ending this year is remote. They have even established a hotline to enforce the gathering of family. The state was one of the first to quarantine and isolate. They are serious about quarantining, just a suggestion, cancel and look for a future date.

itap39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt WOR
Thanks for that Jimandelise. I called Hyatt and its best for me to wait till I’m within 60days of the trip, so I can push the points till 12/31/2021 with their new COVID policy. So I’ll plan on doing that.

Thats pretty strict, to have a hotline to report family gatherings. Wow.